Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lakes, Pasayten - Jun 12, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sticky buns

sticky buns
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 4:31 pm 
SO! MANY! downed trees. It took the Forest Service a week or two just to clear the road to the Billy Goat TH. Then they cleared the trail to the wilderness boundary. Then a WTA crew cleared to about 0.25 miles short of Drake Cr. After that, as of last weekend, you're on your own. If you go, be prepared to go slow. Trees aren't big, but there are lots of them, and the tangle of branches can create major hassles. Another WTA crew is scheduled to go in soon, but I imagine the trail will need a lot more help than that. No snow at Eightmile Pass. Bugs came out in the evening at the trailhead but weren't otherwise annoying. There weren't as many flowers as I expected, but the views through the burn sure are nice. I'm curious what other folks have found in the Pasayten so far this year for trail conditions. Have you been? I was hoping to get in there (wherever exactly "there" may be) next month for a week of backpacking, but I'm questioning that decision now. The carrot-zucchini-ginger bread at the Mazama Store beats the banana bread, IMO. Hold out for the zesty veggie sandwich if they're out at the moment, if you're a zesty veggie type of person.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 9:59 pm 
I have a trip planned for the Cathedral/Remmel/Amphitheater loop the last week of July. Hoping the trails will be in decent shape by then.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
klar

klar
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 3:55 am 
going in to Hidden lakes this morning with a buddy. I have been in here before log out before and its rough. will report back in a week :]

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat. Edgar Allan Poe
Strider518

Strider518
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 6:26 am 
Thank you for the trail report. Can you comments on snow conditions, please?

Strider518

Strider518
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 7:57 am 
I did read that you said no snow at eight mile pass. My question about snow is your observations about higher elevations. as of today the harts pass snotel reports 57".

RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 8:25 am 
Like you said, a pro crew will be going in there from WTA in a few days. It's a week-long trip so they should get a ton done. The schedule says Hidden Lakes. Another crew heads in to The Chewuch and Tungsten Mine Trails on June 29. The PNTA will be on the Boundry Trail logging out starting July 7. If you enjoy clear trails, considering supporting these organizations or joining a work party.

Lindsay, mtn.climber
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 6:33 pm 
I clicked on this hoping to see pics of the Hidden Lks. But of course I don't see them, they're hidden. embarassedlaugh.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
sticky buns

sticky buns
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 7:14 pm 
Strider, here's the best I can provide on snow conditions: Craggies from near Eightmile Pass
Eightmile Pk, nearing the Pass
looking west from Eightmile Pass at Lost Pk
Chipmunk, forget the lakes; even Drake Cr was hidden behind logs.
Rich, thanks for the PNTA tip. I'm on the Chewuch trip and remembered that the Diamond Cr fire didn't engulf the entire Pasayten. It'll be interesting to see the difference.

jaysway, RichP
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am 
I did my birthday FB fundraiser for the PNTA this year—I know FB can be annoying but they do really make it easy. $215 ain’t bad—plus I think several people went directly to the PNTA website to donate because they asked for a link. I am planning a week long trip in this area the first week in July, so I really appreciate these updates. I’m planning on entering at Cold Springs Camp and exiting either at Andrew’s Creek or Billy Goat— whichever one is best cleared by that time. So far it seems the attention is going towards Billy Goat, but any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated! I’ve never hiked in the area, and I know I should expect a lot of mess, but the snow situation does have me a bit concerned. Though from other TR’s it does seem that even if there is more snow than usual, the crossings are not bad? I am trying to do as many PNT miles as I can (working towards a 500 total goal) though I’m willing to change my agenda if changing it makes more sense.

RichP
Strider518

Strider518
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 4:18 pm 
Thank you for posing the great pictures. Still solid snow up higher. Maybe the fire season won't be so bad. One can hope.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 5:52 pm 
sticky buns wrote:
I'm curious what other folks have found in the Pasayten so far this year for trail conditions. Have you been? I was hoping to get in there (wherever exactly "there" may be) next month for a week of backpacking, but I'm questioning that decision now.
Don't go up Andrews Creek yet. Trail crew sometime in May cleared out approx 5 miles in, however there are a few blowdowns since then. Not too irritating. Past that it gets worse and worse. Around 7.5 - ish miles in it gets miserable. The folks I ran into said from that point on it starts to get really bad! They had been up to the Spanish Camp area doing some work. We stopped here... did some clearing below this area for a few hours last Friday. Didn't make much of a dent really, but we did get one really nasty creek crossing at least passable. Silky 2000 and Katana 650 were put to good use. On a good note, I was told a 10 person crew was headed in this week to hit it hard! I'm sure we'll have an update in a week or so! up.gif up.gif

Kellbell, Lindsay, LukeHelgeson, RichP
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jun 28, 2022 12:39 pm 
Saw this over on WTA. Progress is being made. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2022-06-27.5678535411

YoDutch, sooperfly