Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri May 10, 2024 12:28 am 
If i was in the Bear's position I'd come down close to town and stand on a rock and go "RAH!!""!! If you stand overlooking them and go RAH good chance they'll COWER IN FEAR then you just get the food at that point

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 10, 2024 5:11 am 
But theres always a chance of getting shot by some good old boys too

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri May 10, 2024 9:56 am 
Gil wrote:
One good thing about this is that there will be a lot fewer people in the North Cascades now.
Definitely not. By that logic Yellowstone and the Tetons wouldn't get visitors. Everyone's flocking to see the charismatic megafauna. Do you know what an industry bear viewing has become in AK? How demand has skyrocketed at Katmai NP and other AK spots? (I say this as one of the nerds that can't get enough of the bears there, I'm going again next month). How many people travel to see the famous Grizzly 399 in the Yellowstone/Teton area? Maybe someone's already posted this but I recommend the new PBS Nature about 399. It does show the challenges that we have where bears and people intersect, but it's also clear to me that we just make so little space for wild creatures in our world and we can do so much more to co-exist.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 10, 2024 10:20 am 
True. We were up east of Mammoth Hot Springs a few years ago and traffic was stopped in both directions, people were out of their cars taking pics and video of a small black bear just off the road. After a bit of waiting a ranger came along and broke up the fiasco.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Zloi

Zloi
PostFri May 10, 2024 4:41 pm 
I don’t understand the reasoning behind this re-introduction of grizzlies. Just because some species used to inhabit a certain area and does not (apparently) now doesn’t mean humans should scurry to ‘re-introduce’ them. The reason they disappeared to begin with may be that they found life easier elsewhere. Surely that has happened from time immemorial without any human factor—due to climatic changes, failure competing against other species, etc. I don't get how and why these research projects get funded, and the cost of the actual re-introduction and follow -up. Heck, spend it on trail and back-road maintenance! Anyone dying to hike amongst grizzlies in the wild need only drive to the vast forests north of Vancouver from the ocean to the Rockies. Grizzly Heaven.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 10, 2024 7:24 pm 
Zloi wrote:
The reason they disappeared to begin with may be that they found life easier elsewhere
Might have had more to do with the bounty that the state was paying for grizz and wolves until not so long ago.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri May 10, 2024 8:32 pm 
Randito wrote:
not so long ago.
No so long ago? Really? It's been awhile Some 160 + - years ago "According to the park service, killing by trappers, miners and bounty hunters during the 1800s removed most of the population in the North Cascades by 1860" "Removed MOST of the population" Not all of it Where did the remaining go? Doubtful they died out Won't be surprised if the first transplants move north or east ( for some reason ) to habitat that they prefer. Nope! Don't like it here

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri May 10, 2024 9:52 pm 
Just INSTALL an electric fence around the entire deal. My tax money should be covering this!! I deserve to get these bears fenced in. They can afford it!! With all this tax money dollars they can afford to spend big on the electric fence INSTALLATION. Needs to be serious fence to force the bears to remain in their area!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 10, 2024 10:22 pm 
Right^^^ and we can get Canada to pay for it!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 10, 2024 10:28 pm 
WWRD? (what would Roy do?)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat May 11, 2024 6:30 am 
kiliki wrote:
Gil wrote:
One good thing about this is that there will be a lot fewer people in the North Cascades now.
Definitely not. By that logic Yellowstone and the Tetons wouldn't get visitors. Everyone's flocking to see the charismatic megafauna. Do you know what an industry bear viewing has become in AK? How demand has skyrocketed at Katmai NP and other AK spots? (I say this as one of the nerds that can't get enough of the bears there, I'm going again next month). How many people travel to see the famous Grizzly 399 in the Yellowstone/Teton area? Maybe someone's already posted this but I recommend the new PBS Nature about 399. It does show the challenges that we have where bears and people intersect, but it's also clear to me that we just make so little space for wild creatures in our world and we can do so much more to co-exist.
Do you really think that people are going to get out of their cars and walk 20 miles or more to get pictures of bears in WA? The number of people that will do that just to see a bear is very small. It’s not like the grizzlies are going to be hanging out along Hwy 20.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSat May 11, 2024 8:02 am 
Will people walk 20 miles to see a Grizzly? Yup, I think so. 75 European tourists flew 5,000 miles, and then rode in 2 tour buses to Barlow Pass so they could hike to Monte Cristo in the hope that they could see the "ibex". The tour bus driver told me that the tour group was on a 4 state tour. The busses dropped the people off at Barlow Pass and then went down to Deer Creek to park. A highlight for many of the tourists was a trip to see the goats that were transplanted from the Olympics, and their research brought them to Monte Cristo. I told the driver that I had seen the goats north of Barlow Pass, but that they wouldn't be visible from Monte Cristo or Barlow Pass. I showed the driver where the goats were on a map and he took a picture of it to show his group when he picked them up. He figured that he's get a nice tip when he could tell them they were close. I found it interesting that these tourists from Europe knew so much about the goats. The bus driver was a local and didn't know anything about the goats. When Grizzlies are transplanted into the North Cascades, people will come to see. Not just to see the Grizzlies, but they will come to see where the Grizzlies live.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat May 11, 2024 10:07 am 
I think the tourists did not get their money's worth, on that point. Give them 3 hours at Big Four Picnic Area. But considering there are 20,000 black bears in WA, the vast majority of grizzly sightings in the foreseeable future will be mislabeled ursus americanus.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat May 11, 2024 11:17 am 
Hike 20 miles to see a griz? Yea right, what if the griz don't want to be seen? Plus be careful what you wish for.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSat May 11, 2024 1:05 pm 
7 days, 14 grizzlies, 84 miles Yes, I think people will hike 20 miles to see a grizzly. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1256139

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes