Forum Index > Trip Reports > What is your memory for the darkest hike you've done?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 06, 2023 8:08 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Randito wrote:
Our wind up alarm clock failed to go off
This sure got me thinking. We climbed Rainier via the same route in 1975 ( I was young). I have no idea what we did for an alarm clock on that trip and we definitely got up in the middle of the night.
Our trip was in 1977 , I was 19. I was a lucky young man to be climbing Rainier, if I had been a bit older my adventures at age 19 could have involved agent orange and sniper fire.

runup
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Oct 07, 2023 11:43 am 
Randito wrote:
if I had been a bit older my adventures at age 19 could have involved agent orange and sniper fire.
You are three years older than me and were born in a tiny window of years that did not have to register for the draft. Registration was reinstated in 1980 and can still remember going in and registering. I was not happy about it.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Oct 07, 2023 7:57 pm 
Darkest hike: Snoqualmie Pass railroad tunnel when we turned off lights in the middle.

Ski
James Wells
James Wells

James Wells
James Wells
PostMon Oct 09, 2023 6:46 pm 
I have done several 8-day caving trips. It's pretty dark in there, especially when turning all the lights out to sleep. I sometimes see imaginary sparkles in the complete darkness especially when waking up from sleep. Unfortunately Photobucket has clobbered the pictures in this post, I need to re-upload them some time. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2012/11/21/1163851/-Time-in-a-Timeless-Place

Kellbell
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 6:21 am 
James Wells wrote:
. I sometimes see imaginary sparkles in the complete darkness especially when waking up from sleep.
I saw a show where cavers were challenged to find their way without light. They started having some pretty bad hallucinations after awhile. I didn't know that could happen. But wow, the whole scenario is like my worst nightmare!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 10:43 am 
On a touristy tour of the Laurel Caverns in southwestern Pennsylvania, they had a section where they turned off the lights for a minute or so, and that was an experience! Your eyes strained and strained to see anything, but without success. Total dark...I've never experienced anything like it.
When the lights weren't off, phew!
When the lights weren't off, phew!
On a hike, I've never had the batteries on my headlamp die, but I remember one occasion hiking up to Foss Lakes (I think...or it could have been the Necklace Valley?) in the early morning hours where I had to cross a stream, but my headlamp wasn't strong enough to see the far side and pick up the trail. I had to stay put and wait for sunrise. Pretty tame stuff, compared to the situation above.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

jaysway
oldwild

oldwild
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 7:44 pm 
The only night hike I went on on purpose was as night hike to glacier basin on Mt Rainier when I was in Boy Scouts in the 60's. We all had our trusty two D cell flashlights when we left. I don't know of any lights going out, but I remember the issue of trying to figure out how to pitch our tents in the dark. Other than that, I've never really been caught in the dark. One interesting happening. A friend and I were camping and I went out in the dark to pee and thought I saw a light in the distance. I asked my friend to check and we didn't see anything. We settled back to our evening stuff when we heard "HEY EARL". We went out with lights and guided them to the camp. They had started late and didn't know we were up there except they recognized my truck at the trailhead. Other than feet wet in the swamp for them we had a fun time.

yorknl

yorknl
PostSun Oct 15, 2023 9:12 pm 
In 2020 I hiked up the Icicle Creek trail and set up camp just across the bridge at about the five-mile point - which today would be the other bridge on that trail that's collapsed, in addition to the one over French Creek. A very smoky day turned into a four-hour deluge, accompanied by lightning and thunder, that began around dinnertime and let up a bit after 10 p.m. Not only did my enthusiasm for the weekend wane, I got a little wigged out over what had previously been a very dry forest taking four hours of lightning. So I waited an hour or so to see if the rain had really let up, threw everything in my pack, and spend the next couple hours hiking out. Got back to the trailhead around 2 a.m. or so. I couldn't recall how fresh my flashlight batteries were but was 95% positive they were still fairly fresh. I set it on low and only turned it up in a few spots where the trail zigged a bit; no problem there. For the first hour or so it was still cloudy and for fun I'd flip the light off now and then to take in a fairly thick forest at night under cloud cover; it was, indeed, dark. Very dark. Eventually though the clouds blew out - first time I'd seen smoke-free skies in quite a while - and with clear stars the flashlight might almost have been optional were it not for th tree cover. It was a memorable hike, with the sound of water dripping off the greenery, the starlight, and the creek murmuring in the background. And yes, it didn't take long to figure out that the lightning wasn't a huge concern - a lot of water had been spread across those lands. Honorable mention to the ranger-guided, off-the-normal-paved-paths trip to Lower Cave underneath Carlsbad Cavern's Big Room. The protocol when last I did that six or seven years ago was to do a blackout in one of the smaller chambers, well-removed from any light sources in the main cave, and it is indeed black. Very, very black.

runup

runup
PostFri Oct 20, 2023 11:27 pm 
Randito wrote:
Our trip was in 1977 , I was 19. I was a lucky young man to be climbing Rainier, if I had been a bit older my adventures at age 19 could have involved agent orange and sniper fire.
——————————————————- Your insightful comment prompted the memory of my darkest stateside “hike” over 50 years ago on a moonless night in Georgia. It was actually a three mile cross country run/walk/crawl over an Army escape and evasion training course in preparation for deployment overseas. The goal of our team was to navigate the course stealthily and in silence to avoid capture by “aggressor” patrols that took those captured to a very realistic mockup of a POW compound. Crawling or laying on the ground to avoid detection was limited by concerns about coming head to head with with one of the many venomous snakes that frequented that area. It also wasn’t possible in the swampy areas of the course. The crux of the darkness was when we entered a dense, nearly impenetrable thicket of small mangrove? trees that bisected the course. Trying to stay together, we were in single file and holding onto the field jacket of the person in front of us. After an hour or so, we emerged from what we thought was the down-range side of the thicket. Checking the stars, though, we discovered that we had apparently traveled in a semicircle in the pitch black darkness of the thicket and were headed back up-range. We turned around, re-entered the thicket with a new point man, and eventually made it to the “friendly” camp at the end of the course, which was our goal.

gb