Forum Index > Gear Talk > Are your valuables more secure in your vehicle or in your tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
huron

huron
PostTue Sep 12, 2023 8:08 am 
"Here, officer, please take this unlocked phone with a photo of my insurance card, all my other photos, my biometrics, all my email, contacts, web history, location history, cached passwords plus data about speeds and acceleration back to your vehicle for 15 minutes. And since I handed it to you, I consent to your searching, copying and adding it to other databases."

trestle
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 12, 2023 6:11 pm 
Good point, the Officer would likely keep me waiting a long time while he checks out all my amazing hiking photos.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 12, 2023 6:18 pm 
huron wrote:
"Here, officer, please take this unlocked phone with a photo of my insurance card, all my other photos, my biometrics, all my email, contacts, web history, location history, cached passwords plus data about speeds and acceleration back to your vehicle for 15 minutes. And since I handed it to you, I consent to your searching, copying and adding it to other databases."
Don't forget I also have all my credit cards in Google Wallet on the phone

catsp

catsp
PostTue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 pm 
Lol. You don’t really believe you would need to hand over your phone? No one really believes that, right?

Chief Joseph
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 12, 2023 9:09 pm 
catsp wrote:
Lol. You don’t really believe you would need to hand over your phone? No one really believes that, right?
You just show the cop a picture on your phone real quick and they'll trust it's legit without having to verify?

catsp

catsp
PostTue Sep 12, 2023 9:56 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
catsp wrote:
You just show the cop a picture on your phone real quick and they'll trust it's legit without having to verify?
First, how is showing a pic of your insurance card any different from showing the actual card? How does one offer more proof of legitimacy than the other? As for the registration, they can scan the bar code from your pic if they feel that’s necessary - while you’re holding your phone in a faraday bag if you feel that’s necessary. wink.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 7:09 am 
WA’s new vehicle registration law reinvents itself for modern world
Quote:
Washington state will now allow you to take a photo of your vehicle registration and store it on your cell phone. “Both your registration and your proof of insurance can be stored electronically,” said King County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Tim Meyer. “Acceptable electronic formats include an image on a cellular phone or any other type of portable electronic device.” The law he’s talking about is RCW 46.16A.180(1) (d), which requires all drivers to present registration and licensing information to the police when requested. But, the registration certificate required by this section may be provided in either paper or electronic format now as the state works to phase out physical copies of the registration information as it increases the risk of theft. Car prowlers often steal personal documents to forge new ones, so the idea behind taking a quick picture of your car’s registration and storing it in a cell phone is the safer idea. Just make sure to carry your phone with you in the event you are driving and get pulled over. Acceptable electronic formats include the display of electronic images on a cellular phone or any other type of portable electronic device. So how do law enforcement agents make sure to verify the information you are providing digitally is correct? They use a program called SECTOR — Statewide Electronic Collision and Ticket Online Records. “We have barcode scanners, not unlike those of us that use a self-checkout at the grocery store. And so if somebody tries to play with [the photo of the registration bar code], or try to manufacture their own, that barcode had better match.” Meyer said. “And we’ll figure out pretty quickly if it doesn’t.” There is no app to download. You just use your cell phone and snap a shot of your vehicle registration and store it in a secure file. Meyer noted that just because photos of registration and insurance are now allowed, drivers still need their physical driver’s license.

Anne Elk, Chief Joseph, Cyclopath
ejain

ejain
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 3:30 pm 
huron wrote:
Both iOS and Android let you quickly "pin" an app before you hand your phone to someone else. This won't prevent them from poking around in the app that's open (e.g. photos), but they won't be able to access anything else (like your web browser).

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 8:22 am 
Just returned from a roadtrip, the problem of leaving a carload of equipment when dayhiking is something of a concern. Paying attention to where I park, locking up my big boxes full of stuff with a stainless steel cable secured to the car, make it extremely difficult to grab n go. In the backcountry, no worries. Animals are more of a problem.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 11:01 am 
I have a trunk monkey.

Anne Elk, Waterman
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 11:42 am 
If I talk to the police I issue a threat!!! I issue a threat if they're gonna steal my id!!! I tell them "if you steal my ID I'm gonna issue a threat!!!!"

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Sep 18, 2023 10:08 pm 
Luc wrote:
]Of course I'd not bring the kitchen sink of gadgets to a trailhead on purpose. The context for this question is more so if you're on a long, rambling journey, that has trips away from your basecamp.
I wouldn't bring anything I wouldn't want to hike with. Are you just talking about a laptop? I can live without a laptop when camping or on vacation.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 20, 2023 9:46 am 
If you're talking about a laptop, they can survive the heat in a car for a while.

Luc

Luc
PostFri Sep 22, 2023 1:46 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I can live without a laptop when camping or on vacation.
Same, but I'm talking about traveling for months on end.

GNGSTR
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 9:12 am 
Luc wrote:
If you were going to leave camp for the day would you keep your valuables hidden in your locked vehicle, or out of sight in your tent?
Neither. If they are electronics that you do not want to take with you, I would keep them out of sight and under the tent. Dig a hole. cover them in dirt. Here is another thing. Maybe you can't dig in the dirt at your campsite. Go about 200 meters of hiking on the trail from the trailhead, and then bury your valuables about 5 meters off of the trail. Just as a safety measure put rocks on the burial site and some toilet paper which can barely be shown from underneath the rocks. Nobody wants to touch a rock that has feces on it.

Art is an adventure.