Forum Index > Trip Reports > Slate Pass/RobinsonCr-Shellrock Pass-Monument Creek Trail Loop Hike is GONE 7/31-8/3/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnMike

MtnMike
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 8:26 am 
I have been wanting to check out this loop after the 2017 Diamond Fire burned in upper Monument Creek. I last did the loop in the mid 80’s and it was wonderful. I was joined by M&C. We were dropped off at the Slate Pass TH for an 8am start. Weather was great, but now see smoke has moved in from the Sourdough fire. Hiked to Lake Doris on day 1. The trail was in good condition till the turn off the Middle Fork trail. The trail to Freds & Doris Lakes had 32 logs to step & climb over and does not looked to be receiving maintenance often. The logs were not too bad, but the hot temps and bad bugs slowed progress. We arrived and beautiful Lake Doris with only a family of 3 from Twisp there.
Freds Lake
Freds Lake
Looking east from Lake Doris to Shellrock Pass
Looking east from Lake Doris to Shellrock Pass
The next day was to be our big day. The plan was to head over Shellrock Pass, down Monument Creek and up to Lake of the Woods. Bugs from this point were almost none. Plans are always subject to change. We met a party of 3 at Shellrock Pass doing peaks in the area. The trail from Lake Doris to Shellrock Pass had quite a few logs at the low point and looked like the trail has not received any maintenance in decades. Too bad as the area is so beautiful. At Shellrock Pass we could see upper Monument Creek was totally burned out. The trees looked standing but looks from afar could be misleading. At 6600’ we encountered the burn and the trail was GONE. We did the best to follow the original trail route with our GPS’s, but that was not possible. Trees were down everywhere and the only growth was Fireweed, some Willow brush and a few new tree sprots. The fire burned so hot in many places that the rocks exploded into little pieces. After 2.5 miles and 3.5 hours of travel hell and thousands of logs stepped over, we crossed the creek and saw cairn, human presents noted. We found a couple of flat spots to camp nearby. The soils were burned 1.5 inches deep. Not the best for a camping place, and so much for Lake of the Woods this night.
Shellrock Pass and Mt Lago
Shellrock Pass and Mt Lago
Burn area in upper Monument Creek
Burn area in upper Monument Creek
Burn along the ridge above upper Monument Creek
Burn along the ridge above upper Monument Creek
entering the burn in upper Monument Creek
entering the burn in upper Monument Creek
Not fun ahead
Not fun ahead
Campsite in the burn
Campsite in the burn
We were up early the next day and if all went well, we hoped to reach Eureka Creek, But all did not go well. More of the same travel hell. At 1.5 miles and 4700’, we found the old trail. We could follow it, but it had many logs to step/climb over. The burned stopped at 5800’ but still had many logs to deal with. We were so happy to have the 5.5 miles of burn behind us. We had hoped to make Pistol Pass before noon, but we came up short and camped at gorgeous Lake of the Woods. We had it to ourselves. Lake Mtn is so beautiful behind the lake and looks like a climb but can be scrambled. The area looked like it's well used.
Leaving camp day 3
Leaving camp day 3
More trees to climb over
More trees to climb over
Lake of the Woods
Lake of the Woods
We got a real early start at 6:15am and hoped to be back to the Monument Creek TH by 3pm. There are a few logs to beautiful Pistol Pass. The travel across below Pistol Peaks is very exposed in a few areas and some folks with exposure sensitivity may find this too much to hike. One slip and its over. The views are the best! The trail had around 340 logs to step/climb over (most easy stepover’s) to where we stopped working the trail last Fall at 5400’. Travel between 5700 to 5400’ is brushy with big trees and the trail is hard to follow in places. From 5400’ the trail is great all the way out. Just 6 logs to deal with to 3300’, and then no more logs. Made it out the 11 miles in a bit less than 8 hours.
Lake Mtn from Lake of the Woods at sunrise
Lake Mtn from Lake of the Woods at sunrise
Pistol Pass
Pistol Pass
Views from below Pistol Peaks to north
Views from below Pistol Peaks to north
Views from below Pistol Peaks to south
Views from below Pistol Peaks to south
Wildlife finally encountered below Pistol Peaks
Wildlife finally encountered below Pistol Peaks

MtnMike

mossbackmax, Bronco, geyer, BarbE, jaysway, HitTheTrail, John Mac, lopper, Bramble_Scramble, kw, Now I Fly, Alden Ryno, fourteen410, Schroder, rubywrangler, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nettymay
Nettymay

Nettymay
Nettymay
PostSat Aug 05, 2023 9:21 am 
Mike, Always great to see you over here. Thanks for the update and all the work you do on our trails

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostMon Aug 07, 2023 5:16 pm 
I tried to travel Monument Creek in a grand loop (robinson creek--> tattoosh buttes-->hidden lakes-->then supposedly back via Lake Doris), I think 2017, accessing from near Hidden Lakes. When I found 15 foot tall brush and cut logs hidden in it where the trail had been I cried frown.gif I hope that someday these trails will return.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 07, 2023 9:39 pm 
Good to see a report from you Mike! A nod to your comment about the steep exposure; I bet you waltzed it. Looks like a hassle of a trip but, well, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do to get there!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
hermes

hermes
PostThu Oct 19, 2023 2:49 pm 
is the new bridge in on the Robinson Creek Trail?