Forum Index > Trail Talk > Helicopter Crash - Copper Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 11:19 am 
Tom wrote:
As far as risk to the watershed... "Spada Lake Reservoir holds approximately 50 billion gallons of water" "One gallon of gasoline can contaminate up to 1 million gallons of water"
Tom's quote above is for motor vehicle gasoline. I wonder if it is the same for leaded helicopter fuel (the fuel in this case most likely contained lead, which is true for most small aircraft and helicopters). EPA and CDC say there is no safe amount of lead consumption.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 12:05 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Tom's quote above is for motor vehicle gasoline. I wonder if it is the same for leaded helicopter fuel (the fuel in this case most likely contained lead, which is true for most small aircraft and helicopters). EPA and CDC say there is no safe amount of lead consumption.
Almost all helicopters are turbine, rather than piston - as such they would burn kerosene type fuels (jet-a, jet-b) just like big jets. There are some non-turbine helicopters around (Robinson is probably the most common), but these tend to be smaller 1, 2 or 3 place aircraft, often used for pilot training. There are some older piston driven Hughes helicopters, too. These few helicopters and a bunch of older, small, single and twin engine piston driven, fixed wing, planes are the only ones still using leaded gas. And many of those are burning LL (low lead) avgas.

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 12:28 pm 
That helicopter has a turbine engine. It burns Jet-A which does not have lead. It's lighter than water so it would be on the surface and dissipate.

I'm the guy 911 calls.

runup
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 1:21 pm 
Logbear wrote:
For those that are bothered by these helicopter flights..... https://wawild.org/%F0%9F%9A%A8take-action-following-helicopter-crash-in-copper-lake-fly-in-tourism-regulations-must-be-reassessed/
Too funny. They won't let you change anything in the form response. What are they afraid of? Tin foil fear mongering.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 1:48 pm 
No tin foil, no fear. This is typical. Edit: Acutally it's not typical - usually there's no information given, just a form to fill out and click SEND. An organization often has forms like this for people that align with their mission to fill out and send. There's typically nothing wrong with that. That's why there are memberships to these organizations. Any other opinion can be sent another way, but it's up to you to find out how, and to read up on more information. THey're not stopping anyone from doing that. Organizations usually say something like STOP BAD GUYS FROM EMPTYING ALL THEIR CHOPPER FLUIDS IN OUR LAKES ! STOP ALL THE BAD STUFF ENTERING OUR WILDERNESS LAKES!! Fill out this FORM and SEND IT!!!!! At least WaWild is giving some history behind it. They are a reasonable organization and have signed off on a lot of things, like forest road repair and increased funding for trails and roads.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 2:38 pm 
Eh, they can't even get the facts straight in the opening salvo referring to it as wilderness. Plenty of half truths, but I get it, they don't want helicopters, and the time is ripe to whip up the frenzy.

runup
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 2:43 pm 
Thanks for that post, logbear. WAWild presented a good summary, and ID'd the best gov't official to contact about the issue.
Kim Brown wrote:
An organization often has forms like this for people that align with their mission to fill out and send. There's nothing wrong with that.
I'm not sure gov't entities appreciate "mindless" input, the NGOs might as well do an online petition. I think it's much more effective when citizens put concerns into their own words. But the NGOs probably want to make it easy peasy for the time constrained, semi-literate and otherwise lazy types who might be concerned but not enough to take the initiative. I'm going to suggest that the FS restrict touron helo landings to more appropriate places that have plenty of room and more amenities - like the meadow at Big Four. They could even put in a permanent landing pad with lights that go twinkly when a landing is imminent. clown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 pm 
Yes, let's refer to them as tourons. Never liked that term personally. Smacks of arrogance.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 3:02 pm 
Sometimes numbers do matter, mindless or not; several years ago, organizations sent a campaign like this to thier members to tell the USFS to reduce some logging impacts around the trailheads near Snoqualmie Pass (I think it was the Hansen project; can't recall). There was no new mind-blowing information given to the USFS by any commenters to change their minds on the project; the numbers of comments did. It's also how the repairs to the Suiattle Road got so much support - (and how in the early 90's we almost lost it). Whether or not they appreciate it - I don't know. If it's something they agree with, they probably do. But this isn't a public comment action, it's a campaign to bring it to the table. It's the same way we get wilderness, for instance. Sorta like a petition to get a bill on the ballot. The public signs stuff like that all the time. This is the same thing, only different.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk, SpookyKite89
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm 
I'm wondering why the form email recipient would be the DNR? Wouldn't it be the FS making the decisions on managing their land?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 3:40 pm 
It says they already have sent a campaign to the USFS; the text of the comment is to urge DNR to cooperate and support any efforts by USFS. Stuff like this also keeps the organization on the minds of its members and potential members. Whether or not it goes anywhere, or is expected to, is anyone's guess, I guess.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 4:05 pm 
Here is my comment to Mr. McFarland:
Quote:
Mr. McFarland, I am writing to you regarding the helicopter crash in Copper Lake on September 8, 2023. This crash was an isolated incident and people have flown helicopters to Copper Lake for many years with no issues. I am disappointed to see so much fear mongering regarding downstream impacts on the water supply. In what scenario could helicopter landings possibly impact the water supply? Could you please enlighten me? Even if 60 gallons of fuel had spilled, I would think most would have evaporated or been absorbed by the ground before ever reaching the 50 billion gallon reservoir. Even if all 60 gallons had actually made it to the reservoir, after dilution I'm not sure it would even be measurable. I see no reasonable scenario where a helicopter crash could possibly impact the water supply. Perhaps if a military helicopter with lager fuel tanks crashed closer to the reservoir, but let's put away the tin foil hats and have a common sense discussion. Yes, a crash could certainly have adverse impacts on the lake itself, but the landing zone is not designated wilderness, and while it adjoins a conservation area with wilderness protections, the authors of the wilderness act rejected the concept of buffer zones. As a hiker, there is plenty of wilderness I can hike if I want to get away from helicopter landings. If I am one of the handful of hikers that actually hikes to Copper Lake in next decade, why would I be so selfish as to demand there be no helicopters at one of the few locations they could legally land, when there are thousands of other places I can go. I reject the concept of defacto wilderness and encourage you not to pressure the forest service to take unreasonable action based on one incident. We don't prevent cars from driving to trailheads after one happens to crash into a river. Seems unreasonable to ban helicopters after on one incident that proved to have no impact, at least under the rationale of watershed impacts. The landing zone is not wilderness and I do not support policy that creates defacto wilderness simply because one user group does not like another. I may be in the minority among hikers in terms of my opinion, but access issues are something I take to heart whether it impacts me or another group. All user groups deserve to be treated fairly.

KurgansDad, runup
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 4:48 pm 
Tom your comment reads like MacFarland is all for the WaWild proposal, and you're asking him to enlighten you as to scenarios he thinks helicopter use is damaging. Is DNR saying that? Perhaps they are, and I missed it. So many posts to sift through.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 5:02 pm 
No, but they will be getting form letters to the effect that helicopter landings are a threat to the water supply and I'm curious if they believe it's truly a risk. I might change my opinion if there is a viable scenario, maybe I'm missing something.

Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 5:49 pm 
I agree with WaWild's headline that says "Fly-in tourism regulations must be reassessed" Are there any Fly-in regulations to be reassessed? Aside from the prohibition of landing on DNR land, and allowing "commercial" landings with a permit, what else is there? Nothing that I can find. How about they "really" reassess the fly-in issue. Designate areas/locations that are OK for helicopter camping. Create proper landing spots. In non-wilderness areas of course. Allow reservations like they do for the group campsites up the Mt Loop. The USFS gets $125/night for Boardman, $90 for Esswine, $115 for Wiley Creek. The USFS should make some kind of agreement with DNR to let helicopters land on the nice safe sandbar at Copper Lake. Create a proper campsite/picnic area with proper outhouses. Or they could just turn over all the watershed land over to Snohomish PUD, and let them deal with it just like Seattle does with their watersheds.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

YF65CH53E