Forum Index > Gear Talk > Gore-Tex is a Marketing Gimmick
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 pm 
I bought some factory second fabric and the only work I did was to figure out the best spot to cut the hole/slit. I wear it over a pack so the opening is not in the midpoint. More like 60-40.

illegitimi non carborundum!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 1:53 pm 
I have found that a poncho is a real PITA if there is much of a wind, off trail, blow down, scrambling, etc. And if there is a lot of rain I still get wet. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:33 pm 
bccarlso wrote:
How might it hold up during lots of bushwhacking?
A poncho isn't going to work brushwacking, even if made from 4oz SuperKCoat ripstop. Realistically for crawling through rain soaked brush, staying dry isn't going to happen. Using a layer of fleece under a uncoated heavy duty ripstop jacket and pants might be the best bet. Yep it will get wet from a combo of sweat and drip/rain but once you emerge from the brush body heat will eventually dry the fleece. Crawling through north Cascades brush in $1500 worth of "dead bird" goretex outerwear seems like a pretty expensive choice.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 12:47 am 
The only thing that matters is you gotta sowe a layer of jeans in. In between 2 layers of rain coat there needs to be a Jean layer. Need a layer of jeans in between the coat layers!! Need to sowe the Jeans in.

zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 01, 2024 9:09 pm 
FWIW: This is the poncho/tarp I'm currently using. https://seatosummit.com/products/ultra-sil-nano-tarp-poncho?variant=42126724792493 Works nicely in open country and on maintained trails. Brushwhacking -- terrible idea. If you are to crawl through rain soaked brush -- I think it is neccsary to accept that you are going to get wet. I choose to wear inexpense, but durable jackets and pants over the minimum base layers needed and keep a second set of base layers in a dry bag in my pack. I was doing some ski trail work this fall using a "construction worker" rain jacket and pants over thin base layers. It rained 1.5 inches than day and I was sweating preatty good cutting branches and brush that had grown into the trail. Yeah I got soaked -- but I then changed into dry layers once I got under cover. The hard thing to do on a multi-day trip is put the wet layers back on in the morning.

Waterman
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Feb 03, 2024 2:42 pm 
"The hard thing to do on a multi-day trip is put the wet layers back on in the morning" Yep, been there, done that. Memorable!

Off trail rambler
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSun Feb 04, 2024 8:47 am 
Or sleep them dry. Been there, done that...