Forum Index > Trail Talk > Safety: Hiking alone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 9:48 am 
Hungry bears are a bigger problem than well fed bears. When they come out of hibernation bears are desperately hungry. Carry bear spray and be very bear aware. After eating 20 lbs of salmon and berries or any other food they tend to amble and be less aggressive. This is the case most of the year.

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 12:11 pm 
True the farther north you gi the hungrier bears are Listed in order US black, Canada black, US brown, can brown, Alaska Brown, Canada Alaska white.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 12:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
. I was fumbling for a camera for just an instant
We had a neighbor guy that after years of trying finally secured a moose permit...he went with a guide and bagged his moose. A few weeks later he looked out of his window and saw a moose in his driveway. He went out with his camera to get some shots, the moose charged him, knocked him down and broke his camera and a rib or two. As is well known, moose are the most dangerous and unpredictable animals in North America. I always say that moose was a relative of the one that he killed, coming after revenge, lol. He is lucky that he survived that one.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 2:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
moose are the most dangerous and unpredictable animals in North America
I sure agree with that. I was in Northern B.C. watching a moose a quarter mile away and across a river when he spotted me, turned, and came at me at a full charge. Fortunately I was close to my car and got out of there before he made it across the river.

Ski, Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 7:01 pm 
Before I knew how dangerous they were I was fishing in a raft in the middle of a small alpine lake when a large bull moose appeared and was wading and grazing along the shoreline. I paid him no mind nor did he to me. Now I would make my way as far from him as possible.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 7:46 pm 
My father and a co-worker were up in what is now the Rattlesnake wilderness on those fat tired scooters more than a couple decades ago. They stopped to look at a moose grazing in Mud lake. It didn't like them much and let them know that by charging them. They tried to turn around but got tangled in the brush and had to climb a couple lodge pole pines in a big hurry. That moose rendered their scooters unusable and then wandered off. Maybe it was their Forest Service uniforms. Your tax dollars at work.

"May you live in interesting times"

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 7:59 pm 
Ya, I mean I watched the cartoon, Bullwinkle as a child, didn't instill much fear in me for the Mangy Old Moose. dizzy.gif On one of my first trips to Idaho my daughter and I were hiking on a well used trail (Granite Falls, Priest Lake)....we came around a corner and all I saw were legs....I though, why is someone riding a horse up here, looked up and saw a large bull moose. I let out a blood curdling yell and that moose was gone down the trail, never to be seen again. VERY luckily for us, he had an escape route.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 am 
I may have posted this before but this sign, seen at a trailhead in Idaho's Wood River Valley, never stops being funny to me. The enthusiastic use of quotation marks and exclamation points is the icing on the cake.

meck, Chief Joseph, Anne Elk  idoru
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 12:44 pm 
"Furry locomotive with an attitude." Love that! biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
hbb

hbb
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 2:48 pm 
A cougar attack is so unlikely it's not worth worrying about. You are far more likely to get struck by lighting. The biggest risk you face backpacking is, by a huge margin, the drive to and from the trailhead.

Mountainfisherman, snowmonkey, Route Loser, DadFly, kiliki, RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 4:23 pm 
With very few exceptions, hiking/backpacking alone is not an issue. The real issue is dealing with the fear of hiking/backpacking alone. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Mountainfisherman, dave allyn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 10:23 am 
Falls, hypothermia, getting lost all cause hikers a lot more trouble than wildlife. But statistics aren't particularly helpful in altering how you feel. Travelling solo does involve some additional risks that travelling in group reduce. Equipping yourself with a Satellite Messenger is useful for scenarios where you are unable to travel and need assistance. The navigation support provided by the InReach messenger and the linked Eartmate can help avoid being "lost" Solo travelers can face phycological challenges that don't occur when travelling in a group. If you struggle with anxiety -- which I think your OP indicates -- that is something to consider -- a panic attack while solo in an isolated area could be very challenging to recover from.

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 1:19 pm 
Confronted by a Bullwinkle on the trail? The NY Times knows how to tell if he's angry. Some notable anecdotes in there. But if you can "see their eyes bulge", you're way, way too close. Judging by the other body language cues noted, the moose in the photo was some annoyed.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Chief Joseph
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 3:40 pm 
torey221 wrote:
Is it okay to blow a whistle occasionally on a trail when hiking alone to ward off animals (mountain lions, bears, etc.)? I know three blows signal distress. ***I forgot to add that I will be with a small dog. My fear is mountain lion attack while being alone. I have bear spray and my dog stays near me. Just working up the courage to solo backpack with mountain lions and a Shiba Inu.
Try this instead. Lots of annoying folks use something like this.

Art is an adventure.

DadFly  Anne Elk
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 11:15 pm 
DadFly wrote:
After eating 20 lbs of salmon and berries or any other food they tend to amble and be less aggressive. This is the case most of the year.
Could probably just carry a 20 pound bag of fish or whatever it likes. Once it goes RAH then you just drop the salmon and run. It'djust eat the fish!!

zimmertr, DadFly