Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > The National Park Service is quietly abandoning the North Cascades National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 22, 2024 2:56 pm 
https://www.postalley.org/2024/03/21/the-national-park-service-is-abandoning-a-north-cascades-jewel/
Quote:
With federal agencies starved for money — even as outdoor recreation pours millions of dollars into our state’s economy — a management crisis has arisen just as trails and backcountry have experienced a surge in popularity. Olympic National Park has topped the list in national surveys of parks with the greatest number of attractions. The Enchantment Lakes above Leavenworth are the most sought after permit destination in our National Forest system.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:57 am 
But, hey, they can use some of that saved money to pay for helicopters to haul gravel to the Sahale trail and take pictures of goats in the summertime. Win win.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 am 
But you can bet there will be park rangers roaming around on the trails looking for permits!

Art is an adventure.

Anne Elk
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Mar 26, 2024 5:43 pm 
Can you? I never see rangers on any trails, in any park, including NCNP, anymore. Eta: I spent a few minutes trying to recall when the last time I saw a ranger outside a visitor center in any NP was. 3 years ago (or so) I saw an SCA person heading to Crystal Lakes (Rainier). That's the only instance I can recall from recent years.

domaz

domaz
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 7:51 am 
Eh, had my permit checked not once but twice headed toward Sunrise after an overnight this last summer. In fact most times I've backpacked I ended up getting my permit checked in the past few years.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:53 am 
Glad to hear it. The last time I was at Sunrise the things of note that I saw were a crowd of people gathered around and taking photos of a goat laying down in the brush, and a guy walking an off leash Chihuahua. It would have been nice to see a ranger or even a volunteer. Going through the parks I've been to the last few years--Sequoia/Kings Canyon twice, Capitol Reef twice, Great Basin twice, Crater Lake, plus our 3 local parks many many times...I can't remember seeing any rangers/volunteers. I do see rangers at Katmai where I've also been twice in recent years.