Forum Index > Trail Talk > Drought emergency declared for most of WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
N
Dasher :)

N
Dasher :)
PostMon May 06, 2024 2:11 am 
Normal snow and a hot summer last year was bad. Below average snow and another hot summer this year. Yikes. shakehead.gif down.gif

Just roaming about

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 06, 2024 7:56 am 
Ski wrote:
Randito wrote:
"The "dought forecast" is intended primarily..."
Did you mean the doubt forecast? The one that's intended to keep everyone stirred up and in a constant state of fear and uncertainty? The one telling us the world will end tomorrow due to: (select all that apply) __ global warming __ nuclear attack __ volcanic activity __ asteroids __ dinosaurs escaping from Jurassic Park __ locust infestations __ bubonic plague __ Velveeta Follow me for more doubt forecasts. dizzy.gif
It's more like the snowpack measurements--not rain or moisture for the rest of the year. Irrigation relies on SNOWPACK, not intermittent rain. The snowpack didn't get up to snuff, restrictions go on for farmers. Those with junior, or interruptible water rights get cut back or cut off. This means a different crop or no crop. Now that March is over with, we won't get much, if any more growth of the snowpack. Altasnob brings up the question of why are we farming areas that rely on irrigation? My question for him would be where else can we farm? The fertile areas have been paved and developed or are in the process of it. Example, the Willamette Valley. This is an excellent explanation of what a drought is. https://www.nwpb.org/2024/03/12/as-the-northwest-turns-toward-spring-agricultural-irrigators-fire-managers-and-water-experts-watch-the-sky/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities

RumiDude
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon May 06, 2024 11:56 am 
^ The Puyallup Valley used to produce 90% of the U.S. raspberry crop. It is now a residential community. Troutdale, Oregon was "The Celery Capital of the World" before it became a housing development. Southcenter Mall was the former home of a lettuce farm (visible from Hwy 99 when you drove through Des Moines.) I used to drive all the way down to Salem, Oregon, to a shop called "Heliotrope Natural Foods" to buy their tiny dried prunes that came from a big orchard out toward McMinnville. Last time I made sales calls in McMinnville, all those orchards had been bulldozed and replaced with housing developments. The big developers, in their infinite wisdom, paved over the good bottomland, leaving us the scablands of Eastern Washington to grow food. As you said: where else are they going to grow it? Oh yeah... southern California .... because the Colorado River will supply an infinite amount of water, right? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 06, 2024 12:17 pm 
Ski wrote:
The big developers, in their infinite wisdom, paved over the good bottomland, leaving us the scablands of Eastern Washington to grow food.
Nope, not the scablands, unless you have a different definition. Can't grow most crops on rock. Instead, we have the Columbia Basin, which is pretty good if irrigated, the Yakima Valley, if irrigated, Wenatchee is getting "developed" and orchards pushed over for houses. I see a slower version happening here in the Okanogan Valley. The Columbia Basin is a bit better off than others because the Columbia's watershed is so huge. Yakima relies on the Yakima River watershed--White Pass, Naches, and Kittitas County areas. Scablands are for skinny cows, if you can keep them watered. I once read somewhere that land with sagebrush taller than two feet was considered to be potential farmland. I think that was before the dustbowl years? Anyway, I think the point is made of what the drought really is about.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon May 06, 2024 6:42 pm 
Looked at the Hurricane Ridge webcams. Yipes. Looks like July, with a little frost. Edit. Went up the hill yesterday. Some snow on N aspect. Not much. Even a little grass starting to grow. No flowers, or you might think it痴 1st of July.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 08, 2024 12:52 pm 
I'm having to water my thirsty garden. We've got to stop ignoring reality for games of what if.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 08, 2024 6:14 pm 
I need to get a water storage tank, anyone know where I can get a used one? Not for potable water obviously. It痴 times like this I am glad I have property in a rain forest. A friend said that Verlot gets more rain than the Ho?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed May 08, 2024 11:37 pm 
I'm always right when I predict the weather instead of Mass!!!! I always know what it's gonna be and I go on feel alone. What I'm saying is you don't require these big proprietary "computerized systems" to know what the weather's gonna be. All you need is to get me out there I'll just know based on FEEL ALONE! I'm always right compared to the inferior more "junior" weather forecasters such as Mass!!!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu May 09, 2024 12:26 am 
I don稚 know about anything about Maas. I think there痴 good reason to expect early Olympics hiking this year even for non-mountaineer types.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 09, 2024 8:34 am 
I'm going to go see if I can buy more clover seed and dedicate a few weeks to getting it to grow. Will try harder to grow it in the dead zones of the yard. It definitely takes less water once it is established.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostThu May 09, 2024 10:25 am 
^ red clover is prettier and attracts more pollinators!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 09, 2024 10:27 am 
Cannot find red clover in LOCAL stores. Just white. Which, if I remember from my dangerous childhood, attracts lots of bees for bare feet to step on.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostThu May 09, 2024 10:40 am 
^ I had to drive out to Montesano to Del's Farm Supply to find it. Looks like they're no longer in business. Montesano Home & Farm 360 249 4611 has red clover seed in stock. two-pound bag: $12.95 she said they WILL ship. Was not able to find it here in Tacoma. Need to go buy more. The stuff really brings in the bees. I plant it out in the alley. Reduces the foot traffic considerably.

Chief Joseph