Forum Index > Trail Talk > Relocating Olympic Goats to North Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 03, 2024 5:12 am 
Goats are very susceptible to disease and when that happens it can spread very rapidly thru the rest of the herd. This is why the WDFW limits the number of hunting permits to a few per area since the population is so volatile.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 03, 2024 5:45 am 
On the bright side: If all the goats in the Cascades die off, that further reduces the odds of them ever getting back up in to the Olympics, right? Win-win all around. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 03, 2024 5:47 am 
no reason to fret about this.... there are always the options of re-populating the Cascades with mongooses or Australian rabbits. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri May 03, 2024 6:00 am 
bring in the zebras. !! ( North Bend Zebra Club, established 4/24 )

rossb, Ski  Chief Joseph
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri May 03, 2024 6:06 am 
I am in favor of cloning Mammoths and reintroducing them to the pnw.

"May you live in interesting times"

Schroder
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri May 03, 2024 7:21 am 
hbb wrote:
Every time I’ve been to Three Fingers I’ve seen goats. If you are trying to evaluate goat populations based on random anecdotal experiences, you might want to reconsider whether that’s a valid approach.
It's not random anecdotal experience. I was in Everett Mountain Rescue for 30 years and spent more time on those 2 peaks than any others. I'm sure I spent much more time there than the wildlife biologists ever did. Had a good view from a helicopter too. What this count in 2017 tells me is that there was a very large increase in goat poulation the decade prior. As I said before, I've seen plenty of goats on the mountains around Glacier Peak and Monte Cristo area - just never on Whitehorse & 3 Fingers.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri May 03, 2024 2:56 pm 
I saw a goat carcass above the trail on the last mile or so to the 3 fingers ladders. Smelled it too, yikes was it nasty. That was in 1987. One more anecdote.

coldrain108
shane w

shane w
PostFri May 03, 2024 10:44 pm 
Everett Herald quoted, "Mountain goat experts are unsure about the exact cause of the decline, though they have multiple theories. Recreation, habitat loss, climate change, disease and predation are among them." If we are talking about the Boulder River Wilderness goats, Recreation is not thinning the herd. Habitat loss is not thinning the herd. Climate change is not thinning the herd. Disease might be. Predators are always thinning the herd. I have seen personally and heard reports of several cougar killed goats around Jumbo and Whitehorse in the past few years. There was a report on this website a few years ago about a cougar killed goat up Squire Creek from kitya I believe.

timberghost

timberghost
PostSun May 05, 2024 7:42 am 
The goat population is very volitile. I had a discussion with a wdfw goat biologists. I asked why more hunting permits were not given out especially in areas where the population can exceed 350 like the goat rocks area. He said that the goat population could plummet in a year. Mostly from disease.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 05, 2024 12:19 pm 
Maybe the goats need to mask up and practice social distancing?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun May 05, 2024 12:43 pm 
I think the goats are OK. I've seen them up on the ridge north of Sheep Mountain every year since they put them there. I think the radios went dead. The Mountain Loop area is notorious for having poor GPS signals. When I drive around with my GPS on it wears my batteries down searching for satellites. As soon as the Barlow Pass gate is open I'll be looking for them.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes