Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Peak Hiker Rescue?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 7:32 am 
Wasn't there a rescue operation yesterday or Monday near Glacier? I caught just a tidbit of information on the radio, then I didn't see anything else. Anyone know how it went?

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 7:46 am 

salish

salish
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 12:48 pm 
Thanks
Great, I'm glad they're down. Thanks for the tip.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 2:55 pm 
the writing was on the wall when he chose to go lite to summit a major peak with the full intent to stay overnight on top. We all make mistakes, I'm no exception, but this was stupid stupid stupid. If you are not willing to carry necessary foul weather gear up a large peak you intend to stay overnight on, you should reconsider your summit stay at the very least. One person forgot their gloves as well, just not good planning.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 4:52 pm 
One you get past the background noise that thread is a pretty good read. I bet most of us could recall several occasions where in hindsight we made poor decisions without having to pay the price of looking stupid, or worse.

PostWed Jul 31, 2002 5:52 pm 
Absolutely. Lessons to be learned by any one willing to learn. I find lots of good "beta" over there, but the NOISE you have to listen to almost makes it unbearable sometimes. It seems fitting that one of their own got in public trouble given the constant be-littling of the Mountaineers (I am not a menber), posers, gapers and anyone that doesn't climb 5.10 right off the couch, by so many of them. I am very happy that these people are safe, but tend to agree with MtnGoat's take on it.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 7:06 am 
Spending the night on the top of a major peak? Did anyone read this article http://www.summitloft.com/1111manwho.pdf in The Mountaineers magazine a while back? Most people can't imagine spending 5 days in the wilderness...and this guy spends 5 weeks on top of a major mountain? eek.gif Here's his website http://www.summitloft.com/ with some amazing photgraphy.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 11:52 am 
I agree, Pappy. I do follow CC.com, but rarely post there. They do have some good threads on occasion, and good beta on climbs, if you can get past the "spray". I have felt that the threads do tend to get out of hand, each post trying to one-up the other. Sometimes the bravado and machismo of the 'regulars' is just too much! I don't like to see any mishaps happen to anyone, no matter how publically offensive. The leader wrote up a good trip report and posted it on CC.com - I suggest those that are inclined to take a look at it. I'm glad everyone is ok.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 2:58 pm 
Thanks Kleet. Not just great photos but some excellent reading too. 'I will never do this again, Lord Jesus. Just let me out of this and I'll reform my ways.'

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 8:17 pm 
Reading up on this at cc.com did make me stop and think about a place or two I've been getting sloppy lately, and pledge to work on reforming my ways. Hasn't been -tooo- bad, but pushing it and un-checked sloppiness, well.. could get worse. And it's not just yourself, it's the people you're out with, who are at risk. So, thanks for pointing it out. Better to learn from someone else's hard knocks, every time!

Quark

Quark
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 10:18 pm 
It seems that some on cc.com are a bit harsh re the decision of 911 to send help, but folks should look at the other side of the coin - 911 got 2 calls from people stuck on Glacier Peak during a storm. The first call, - they didn't send help as per request. But when the people down below got a 2nd call a full day later from the SAME people STILL stuck on Glacier, who can blame them for sending help? Sure, Lambone et al said they didn't need help - but rescuers hear that many times, as they're rescuing those clearly in dire need. The rescuers told Lambone it's easier to recover people who are alert and alive rather than lost or dead. In this situation, rescuers were simply plucking people from possibly future danger to themselves and others. Sure those stuck felt they could stay there til weather held up, and once help arrived felt they could hike out - but looking at it from a rescuers point of view - they don't know Lambone et al from squat. All they know is two 911 calls. Resucers are thinking "let's get it over with and get these people off that mountain so we don't have to worry about them anymore, regardless of their claim to be healthy and alert enough to hike out alone." No one can guage the competency of others - all the rescuers had to go on was 2 calls from people unable to get down from a major NW peak in a storm. They'd be legally LIABLE if they did nothing. Plus they'd feel real, real bad for the rest of their lives if the situation worsened and injuries (or worse) ensued because they didn't send help. I've been atop Glacier and I must say being blown off that bugger would be scary indeed - its so remote there. Being blown off any mountain would suck, I suppose. But Glacier - he's so remote. Lambones statement, "....and then it hit" regarding the storm is scary as hell. I can almost hear the sound of the wind sounding like a freight train (I've heard it on Glacier, but lower down) and feel the loneliness and helplessness of them all. God, how horrible. I agree with Erik. He is sloppy. [ramble mode off now]

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Aug 04, 2002 6:15 pm 
I also liked the article Kleet. Regarding the windbreak the Glacier Pk crew was trying to improve it was written: "After the first night we decided to beef it up, so we made it thicker and higher. In the ten minutes it took to do so we were soaking wet to our bottom layers and freezing. It took a couple hours to fully warm up again in the tent." How do major expeditions deal with keeping dry. My tent sweats if I'm not using the screen on the door. Is the condensation less at higher altitudes? My clothes get wet just doing a thousand feet of steep elevation. I generally am hiking in good weather so I can dry out quickly, but when you're on an expedition you're committed. I'd think your clothes would be soaked by the time you got to the top of anything and you would be a human icicle.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 06, 2002 12:08 pm 
The thread on CC.com now has some entertainment concerning NWHikers, whereby one poster there complains that we're too uppity or superior or somesuch, he wants to join so he can be superior too. Poor guy is so used to the garbage that passes for content in terms of obnoxious spray, he must think not seeing it here means we're superior or something. You know, he may have a point, but if all it takes to be superior is the tiniest bit of respect for other posters, the bar seems pretty low to me! eek.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
cc.com regular

cc.com regular
PostTue Aug 06, 2002 12:29 pm 
Mtn goat, you are now guilty of what you attack others for. I love the fact that you lurk, yet appently have nothing to share? How is that? Yet you can come over to NWHker and share yor feelings? Certainly both groups represent different portions of the overall spectrum. I am an adovocate of light and fast. I have succeded anda failed due to that practice. Please do not speculate on what you think is right or wrong. It is for each sane thinking person to determine for themselves. Also another person stated the rescuers are liable to recuse people. This is not true, please attempt to verify your facts before posting them. It is sad when someone post incorrect conjecture and all the others think it is gospel or even true. Have a good one. Erik

Quark

Quark
PostTue Aug 06, 2002 1:22 pm 
I meant to say that 911 *could* be liable for failure to take action. Thank you for pointing out my gross error in writing so that I can take this opportunity to correct it.