Forum Index > Trail Talk > Comet Falls, Rainier, 8/3/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 7:26 pm 
By popular demand, a Comet Falls outing is in order this weekend, Saturday, August 3rd. Tourguide (me) and Park pass are provided. The park's site says the bridge above Comet Falls en route to Van Trump Park is out, so if the creek is even moderately high, continuing to the park may not be an option. Times to meet and carpool to be announced. If time permits, exploration of the "mystery" waterfall on Chinook Creek could be a bonus stop.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 8:51 pm 
The high water in Van Trump Creek may be a blessing. It's already unseasonably cold on Rainier for this time of year, and the weather may be deteriorating. The forecast for Saturday at Paradise is partly cloudy with a high of 49 degrees! Another forecast shows showers at Longmire (but much higher temperatures). A series of short hikes may be preferable to one extended push. Bring changes of clothes or plan on extreme layering, so that we're flexible on elevation. And waterfall photography is likely to be wet. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 11:36 pm 
Bleh! Not like hiking in the rain is anything new around here. suuure.gif Bus leaves Kirkland at 8:00 if anyone else is interested in carpooling. Trailhead time may depend slightly on the weather, but we'll look at no later than noon, probably closer to 11:00.

Otter

Otter
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 11:15 am 
It's still up in the air if my husband I will be around this weekend (possible trip south to visit family) but if we are staying home then we will meet you all there at the trail head.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 02, 2002 11:53 am 
Rain Check
Weather looks crummy (of course now it will be perfect out), one person has bailed due to illness, and I suddenly got stuck with a last minute work emergency, so this one is postponed for a while folks. Sorry. frown.gif

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Aug 04, 2002 9:59 pm 
Hee...heee.. you can't believe everything the weather man tells you. i just got back from a week of camping and hiking around Rainier, it just rained this morning. You guys should have come down, Saturday was a great day, the girls and i hiked a record 7 miles, not bad for a 6 yr. old. and we gained about 2000 ft. total. i am not sure how far we hiked in all but we were out hiking all week. Try to do a trip report later. Ice Girl