Forum Index > Gear Talk > Looking or Older Externals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSat Apr 06, 2002 9:10 am 
Just in case any of you have older clunker external packs - especially Kelty packs - that you don't use or need anymore, I'm looking for some. I'm interested in everything from spare parts (mesh back panel, hip belt, straps, cotter pins, etc.) to complete packs. I'm mainly interested in packs from the late 1960's to late 1970's. I don't resell these things on Ebay or anything like that, it's just that my hiking buddies and I like the old stuff. Thanks for your time. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostSat Apr 06, 2002 10:42 am 
I inherited a '60s Kelty with a single compartment top loading bag and four outside pockets from my father-in-law. We call it the "Dad pack" and I use it mostly on Beach hikes when I have to carry most of the family's gear. Love that pack. I've seen old Keltys at the second hand gear shop accross from the old REI location on Capitol Hill. I think I'll be swinging by there to unload a couple stoves. If I see any, I'll let you know. I've also seen them at Goodwill in years gone by.

salish

salish
PostSat Apr 06, 2002 11:15 am 
Dante, Thanks for the tip, however, don't waste your time. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the place you are talking about (2nd Base) is no longer there. Now it's an automotive shop of some kind. The owners closed shop and deal on eBay now. I think his ebay handle is "2ndbaseseattle" or something like that. And he only has a tiny bit for sale when compared to what was in his shop (so far). I'll miss that place. By the way, the old REI is now a Value Village. It was weird walking up and down that old staircase remembering what is was like in 1970. I love the old externals and use mine quite often. I do seem them once in a while at Value Village or other places. Second Ascent doesn't have any right now. I collect (and use) old stoves, too, so if want to dump some let me know, as I might be interested. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostSun Apr 07, 2002 8:06 am 
At the risk of offended any one, I'll post under my real name - Pappy. I would have used "Auntie Kelty" but.....don't want anyone upset. moon.gif I hate anything that smacks of elitism, so the the first time I read in a guidebook (man, two time loser), "Kelty" used in place of the word backpack, I developed an unnatural dislike for Kelty backpacks. Went right out and bought an internal frame "Alpenlite". Anyone rememer those or have one? The lower frame forms kind of a tripod, so they stood up without leaning against a tree. I loved that pack. It was comfortable, functional and not a Kelty. biggrin.gif Switched to internal frame about 20 yrs ago, but my Alpenlite is still one of my prized possessions, even though I use it to store rags in now. Sorry, Cliff, but I'm keeping this baby just in case they come back in syle. cool.gif

salish

salish
PostSun Apr 07, 2002 9:21 am 
Hey Pappy, You're not offending me. I don't own, nor have I ever owned a Kelty external, but three of my hiking buddies do, and I own an Eddie Bauer external - which we all bought back in the early to mid-70's. We're old. We thought it might a good idea to have a few Kelty external clunkers around for parts, and some of those parts may fit my old pack, too. I know what you mean, though, back then you just weren't cool unless you had a Kelty. Back then it was Kelty packs, heavy eiger style boots with red shoelaces and blue REI gators over faded 501's, with a goose down vest, and if you were a ski bum or worked at Snocrummy operating ski lifts you topped it all off with a cowboy hat with your locks hanging down the back like Billy Kidd. I think I do remember the Alpenlite pack. Was that the actual brand name or was it manufactured by someone else? My external from Eddie Bauer has a frame that allows it to stand up on it's own and that's one of the reasons I bought it instead of a Kelty. It's really kind of a nice feature. Thanks Pappy.

PostSun Apr 07, 2002 10:27 am 
Patch/emblem on the pack says "alpenlite Claremont, Calif" Only used it for a couple years, so its in good shape. Maybe I'll use it someday on a backpacking trip that stays on the trail. Like your version of what was cool back then. Much as I remember it after I moved west. Where I first hung out in N Idaho we had no one to copy as we were the ONLY ones we ever saw in the back country. We had no idea there were brand name products for hiking. Got all our stuff from K-mart or army surplus. Cooked on sterno sometimes. Great times.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 07, 2002 12:59 pm 
Remember the FRAMELESS Yak packs!?!? Man weren't they something! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 07, 2002 1:07 pm 
I have an Alpine Style internal frame that was made in Idaho. Anyone ever heard of it?

PostSun Apr 07, 2002 4:19 pm 
Don't remember Apline Syle, but I do remember Yak. It was on Westlake or East Lake?

Dante

Dante
PostSun Apr 07, 2002 10:54 pm 
I really wanted an Alpenlite in High School, but had to settle for my dad's old REI external retrofitted with a padded belt. When I finally got around to buying myself a new pack I got a locally made internal that I still use. Salish, I discovered that place is gone the hard way, but I unloaded the stoves for cash at Second Ascent. They didn't have any Keltys, but they had an old Gerry with the multiple zippered compartments and some Jansports. They also had a Jensen softpack--anyone remember those? I think Early Winters used to sell them.

salish

salish
PostMon Apr 08, 2002 1:59 pm 
Thanks for the tip, Dante. I may drift down there this week and see what a Johnson soft pack was. Good excuse for puttering around there. Cliff

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Apr 08, 2002 3:45 pm 
Kelty external frame packs aren't cool? waah.gif I've had my Super Cirque for about 15 years and I like it. I wish I could talk my wife into letting me drop $350 or so on a Arc'Teryx Bora 80 so I can pass my still functional Kelty down to my son.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dante

Dante
PostMon Apr 08, 2002 8:21 pm 
Kelty's may not be cool, but it's cool to use something that was in the REI catalog before I was born (and I'm almost 40) and still works well biggrin.gif

salish

salish
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 6:01 am 
I had some work done on an ancient, tattered, Kelty Redwing that I bought for $10, by the folks over at Rainy Pass Repair. I'll bet they would know a lot about old packs. Now that I think about it maybe they would be a source for old used webbing and belts....

hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostFri Apr 12, 2002 11:50 pm 
I have one of those early '70s Keltys and I can't imagine what parts would need replacing! No, really, I have had to replace those little plastic caps on the bottom of the frame. Many, many seasons of hard use and still no burns, no rips, and darn few permanent stains. I'm really pretty anal about my equipment. I also have a nice shiny Svea 123 of the same era. The kelty doesn't stand up by itself and neither does the Svea. I am changing the way that I pack now so I am finally updating a lot of my equipment. I hope that the new gear lasts as long as the old stuff.