Forum Index > Photography Talk > panorama stitching software
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 10:22 pm 
Download Hugin Here Download Autostitch Here Autostitch notes: for best results click on Edit, Options and change the following options BEFORE selecting the pictures to stitch: - Set Scale to 100% for final stitching (the resizing algorithm used by autostitch is awful, and so anything besides 100% will result in a slightly blurry pano -- resize it afterward for best results) - Leave Scale at 10% only if you want a fast stitch (nice for previewing) [- Set System Memory to a larger number (assuming you have the memory)] NOTE: I have found that the system memory setting should be left at the default 0.25gb. If this is set larger you are reserving more memory for the system which leaves less for AS. (not as clear as it could be) - Set JPEG Quality to 90% or more (but not 100% or the file will be huge) -Gain Compensation check this box for AS to adjust exposure differences -Image Rotation Be sure to check the correct box if not default orientation otherwise you'll get really weird results IMPORTANT: if you post your pano here, please resize it to no taller than 800 pixels high or it will be too tall to fit on most screens.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:52 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
mike

mike
PostThu Dec 09, 2004 10:35 am 
This looks interesting, and local authors too. Here's a blurp from the website. AutoStitch is the world's first fully automatic 2D image stitcher. Capable of stitching full view panoramas without any user input whatsoever, AutoStitch is a breakthrough technology for panoramic photography, VR and visualisation applications. AutoStitch is built using cutting edge research from the AI lab at UBC, but it's incredibly simple to use! Just select a set of photos, and AutoStitch does the rest: digital photos in, panoramas out. Try the free demo (for Windows):

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostThu Dec 09, 2004 11:11 am 
Nice. I tried it out on a previously un-stitchable series of photos, due to a person at the "seam", and it worked great. Other software was confused by the presence of a person at the seam of the pano. This program dealt with it nicely.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 09, 2004 10:48 pm 
Very impressive - stitches on par with the best I've seen without no handholding. Too bad the jpeg output quality is so low. Looking forward to a non-trial version. Might be worth paying for.

AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer

AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer
PostThu Dec 09, 2004 11:27 pm 
I emailed him, there is no "real" version, yet. Also, the output is much better if you set to full or near full res. Here is what "he" (Matt) had to say: "AJ, Thanks for the feedback. There is no commercial version of AutoStitch as yet, so in the meantime you are free to use the demo version so long as you acknowledge that you used AutoStitch. The demo verison will be updated periodically, please check the website. A new version that will have adjustable JPEG compression, among other things, will be posted shortly. Matt."

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Dec 10, 2004 1:30 am 
Phenomenal! I did the same, throwing it the pano shots that all my other stitching software choked on and the results are absolutely stunning. The clarity and consistent lighting in the composited image is pretty impressive, especially in comparison to the old results. One thing it does need is lots of RAM. Mine just choked while processing twelve 5-megapixel images at 100%. We'll see how it does at 50%...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer

AJ Montgomery
Hairfree fotografer
PostFri Dec 10, 2004 8:28 am 
I performed a twelve at 8MP stitch and it took about a half an hour. I run an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB dual channel DDR. The result was fabulous though!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Dec 10, 2004 9:55 am 
I'm running a 2.4Ghz P4, w/ 1 GB of PC2400 DDR. I also had a significant set of other apps running at the time. Dunno. But in my case it definintely ran out of RAM. Still, phenomenal results. Great application!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Dec 10, 2004 12:28 pm 
Tried it with 30 2.5 meg files last night. Took about the same amount of time that my stitching programs usually take. These files were very closely matching vertically, so it should have been an easy test. It failed on putting some of them on one end, maybe my stitch was too wide or I didn't set something right? I did this at the highest setting, and still the autostitch programs image was noticeably worse. Some blurring, especially in the foreground. It looked like some things were "out of focus". Two of my other programs (paintshop photo album and panorama factory) had perfect output. It is probably just me, I will have to play around some more with it this weekend.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Dec 11, 2004 2:47 am 
Couple things I've observed so far: 1 - Uncheck "Auto Straighten". I did one vertical pano of three shots, and it ended up applying what can only be described as what the Polar Coordinates filter in Photoshop does, and it didn't work at all. 2 - Set the resolution based on percentage, not pixels. It appears it will reset in some random cases. Check before proceeding. 3 - Run a test stitch at 10% first to make sure it works as you want it to. 4 - Memory does appear to be a big issue, so if you are doing something for the web, do it at 25% or 50% resolution, it'll save a ton of time.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Dec 13, 2004 12:11 am 
Mmm. Very nice. I still think Autostitch does a phenomenal job. Throw it a million pictures and it figures out what goes where with minimal distortion -- absolutely impressive. The only real trick I've learned that you just need to shoot like hell and you'll hopefully have enough coverage to complete the pic. Here's a merge of 17 pics. If I'd only had a few more in that upper left-hand corner... waah.gif
pano-for-posting
pano-for-posting

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 13, 2004 10:32 am 
Lipsey. Otter tail slides. Ever take a t-rest up that thing? Makes for a great slide. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
SlowPoke

SlowPoke
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 10:51 am 
Panorama Maker
The best photo stitcher I've tried is the Panorama Maker 3 by ArcSoft. It's well worth every penny.! http://www.arcsoft.com/en/products/panoramamaker/

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 9:07 am 
Dayhike Mike, autostitch did a great job on your photo. What settings did you use?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 9:26 am 
wooly wrote:
Dayhike Mike, autostitch did a great job on your photo. What settings did you use?
Thanks Wooly...didn't change any settings other than to change the output to 50% of the original size. Resized the output down before posting, but it looked great before resizing as well...

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 2:14 pm 
Thanks Dayhike Mike. I tried it the other day with 12 photos I took from the side of Mt. Buckhorn using the 10% output and the picture was too small. Yesterday I tried it again and used the 50% output. I am very happy with it. I don't have anything to compare it to because this is the first time I have stitched photos. I have an old slow computer with 128 ram but it worked. I don't know how long it took because I started it up and then went to bed. In the morning it was all done. The file size is too large to post.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir