Forum Index > Photography Talk > panorama stitching software
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 10:22 pm 
Download Hugin Here Download Autostitch Here Autostitch notes: for best results click on Edit, Options and change the following options BEFORE selecting the pictures to stitch: - Set Scale to 100% for final stitching (the resizing algorithm used by autostitch is awful, and so anything besides 100% will result in a slightly blurry pano -- resize it afterward for best results) - Leave Scale at 10% only if you want a fast stitch (nice for previewing) [- Set System Memory to a larger number (assuming you have the memory)] NOTE: I have found that the system memory setting should be left at the default 0.25gb. If this is set larger you are reserving more memory for the system which leaves less for AS. (not as clear as it could be) - Set JPEG Quality to 90% or more (but not 100% or the file will be huge) -Gain Compensation check this box for AS to adjust exposure differences -Image Rotation Be sure to check the correct box if not default orientation otherwise you'll get really weird results IMPORTANT: if you post your pano here, please resize it to no taller than 800 pixels high or it will be too tall to fit on most screens.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:52 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 3:53 pm 
When I used Autostitch, the resolution was fairly low & I got the impression you had to buy the full program for better results. Hugin is a front-end for Panorama Tools & is freeware.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 4:17 pm 
Autostitch will work with large files but it takes a while. You can set the 'Save as' preference to high jpg which is recommended as the jpg algorithm is mediocre. You are limited to jpg in the free version. Buy one of the licensed versions for more bells and whistles.

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 4:40 pm 
I just purchased Panorama Factory V5.2 and it seems to work very well with large photos (just stiched 10 photos into a 15.2MB jpg)... took about 2 minutes.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 6:59 pm 
I've used Calico, Double Take, HuginOSX, PanoramaMaker, PhotoStitch, Stitcher Unlimited and Autopano Pro. Out of all of them I've chosen Autopano Pro as my go to stitcher, I can throw at it multiple rows horizontal or vertical or mixed and it will assemble panos without a problem. 99% of the time once all of the source images are selected, I just click render and that's it. Of the 1% of the time I might need to use one of the additional tools to change the location of the center. I've never used Autostitch, but I understand that Autopano Pro and Calico uses some of the same technologies from Autostich. The other things I like about Autopano Pro is that it's simple to use, fast, and it's smartblend renders images without that awful banding you see in the skies of a lot of panos. Autopano Pro has Window, Mac, and Linux versions. BTW, I'm running Tiger 10.4.11 on an Mac Pro. Check them out, I think you'll be blown away. Autopano Pro.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 pm 
Schroder wrote:
When I used Autostitch, the resolution was fairly low & I got the impression you had to buy the full program for better results. Hugin is a front-end for Panorama Tools & is freeware.
Autostitch is freeware as well. You just needed to open the Options (as noted at the top of every page in this thread hockeygrin.gif ) and change the resolution to 100% instead -- default is to resize down to a width of 1400 pixels or something.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 1:09 pm 
mike wrote:
Autostitch will work with large files but it takes a while. You can set the 'Save as' preference to high jpg which is recommended as the jpg algorithm is mediocre. You are limited to jpg in the free version. Buy one of the licensed versions for more bells and whistles.
The JPEG quality level in the default settings isn't usually a deal breaker -- the resizing is what kills the quality in Autostitch.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 4:48 pm 
Hugin will do TIFF files and has all the bells and whistles for free. It's not the easiest to use, but it does the job.
This is an 8-frame panorama done from full resolution TIFF files. I had to resize & convert to jpg to post it here. Not the best light, I admit - I was on top of Fremont at noon.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 5:31 pm 
Nice pic, Schroeder. up.gif

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm 
AutopanoPro is one of the commercial versions of Autostitch

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 9:09 am 
Here is a huge pano I made with AutopanoPro. I was on top of 2nd Bouroughs last weekend and the air was incredibly dry and clear. I zoomed my 55-250mm in on my Canon Xsi, hand holding I clicked like crazy as I panned back and forth across the mountain taking about 50 shots (not all fit in the final crop). It is the largest picture I've done so far, about 30 shots combined to create a 1.4 gig final (saved as a 16 bit Tiff). It took many hours for my Mac Pro with 8 cores to create it, so I left the computer to it's work and came back in the morning to find the finished product.
Full Picture (not full res)
Full Picture (not full res)
small crop near the summit showing a climbing party
small crop near the summit showing a climbing party

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 am 
Nice work Jim. It took your Mac Pro that long. Whooee.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 pm 
I'd like to change the center of a 360 pano in AutoStitch. Is that even possible? I don't like what it has chosen on its own as the center. Jim, that pano is absolutely amazing!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 14, 2011 3:11 pm 
Been a bit disappointed with autostitch as of late so decided to give Hugin a try. Just as easy to use and far superior results IMO with lots more options (including the option to re-center). Shot this one today from our rooftop deck. Had some issues with our stay at this resort last November so came back for a free week, then somehow got upgraded to their nicest room. cool.gif
Top of the Castle
Top of the Castle

mike

mike
PostThu Apr 14, 2011 6:08 pm 
Quote:
Been a bit disappointed with autostitch as of late so
Yeah, autostitch free version hasn't been updated and is getting passed by other programs. Nice pano!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 14, 2011 6:26 pm 
Thanks, I wish the top of the castle hadn't gotten cropped out. Shot a vertical pano too but it didn't have enough overlap to stitch.