Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Discovering Washington's Historic Mines, Volume 2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Aug 06, 2002 4:18 am 
Seems like someone mentioned awhile back that this was coming out. It's out. Looks like it covers the East Central Cascades and Wenatchee Mountains. From their blurb it sounds like they had better luck on the East side. Oso Publishing NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 11:53 am 
Discovering Washington's Historic Mines Volume II
Newt; Volume II of Discovering Washington's Historic Mines has been out since 2002. Volume III, The Northern Cascade Mountains has just been released. In fact most stores don't have it yet but it is available at Pilchuck Books at: 2128 Wetmore Ave. in Everett. Or, you may order it from the publisher www.osorail.com, 1-800-337-3547. Volume III covers the mines and mining history of Skagit and Whatcom counties and the Pasayten Wilderness along with the Twisp/Gilbert area.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 pm 
Jake, do you have any idea(s) about where "Skagit Pass" probably was? Also, do you know how wide a narrow guage wagon would have been? Thanks

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Jake

Jake
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm 
Skagit Pass
My information puts it at the headwaters of Thunder Creek. I think it was a early name for Park Creek Pass. Jake

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 6:40 pm 
Thanks! I had thought maybe out of Gilbert. There is a old trail out of there that was heavily dynamited, etc.. Maybe for a wagon road ...

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Jake

Jake
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 6:53 pm 
That was a trail that went over Twisp Pass but was never finished to the point of being able to handle wagons that I know of.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 7:07 pm 
Trivia - A type of popular dynamite in the 1850's-1880's was called Little Giant. Many places in the Sierra and Cascade Mountains retain the name.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 8:17 pm 
Thanks, I made that post about 4 years ago in 2002. And another thanks for the heads up on III. up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:01 pm 
JAKE and all - write some great books and they can't be thanked too much for writing about our mountain history. I've heard about what they do out in the field. They really are our only true NW Mountain history writers!

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 5:44 am 
Have my copy of Volume 3 now and I'm getting tense to get out and Explore that part of the state. hockeygrin.gif up.gif winksmile.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians