Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Volcanos of the World
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 24, 2004 9:59 am 
the basalt flows and subsequent floods created a huge lake in Northcentral oregon - Lake Allison. The lake was almost as big as Missoula during it's swollen stages. Not sure, but I think it was where the John Day fossil park currently is. My book isn't at my fingertips to double-check.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostFri Dec 24, 2004 12:04 pm 
Stones says:
Quote:
Another interesting thing is how the size of the crystals in igneous rock is the result of the rate of cooling. Rapid cooling as in lava flows at the surface gives you a fine-grained rock like basalt. Slow cooling deep in the earth allows time for crystals to grow larger and gives you a coarse-grained rock like granite.
We have a distinctive variation around here, pillow basalt, which i believe originally erupted under water and cooled very quickly into pillow like shapes. Those on the surface have been scraped smooth by the very recent glaciers. So recent in fact that even on the shoreline the glacial marks haven't yet been worn away by wave action. All quite humbling to think about.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri Dec 24, 2004 12:42 pm 
Quark wrote:
the basalt flows and subsequent floods created a huge lake in Northcentral oregon - Lake Allison. The lake was almost as big as Missoula during it's swollen stages. Not sure, but I think it was where the John Day fossil park currently is. My book isn't at my fingertips to double-check.
Curious about Lake Allison I did a little web research. It turns out that Lake Allison was formed by the Missoula floodwaters that backed up into the Willamette Valley and slowly drained back out through the Portland area. Lake Allison was named after Ira Allison, the geologist who first mapped the limits of the backed up floodwaters from "erratics" left in the valley after the floodwaters receded. Missoula Floods Erratics Willamette Basin

Let me stand next to your fire
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Jun 06, 2006 8:34 am 
Here's a cool site, using Google Maps to show active volcanos around the globe, with info on each.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Jun 06, 2006 8:50 am 
Nice find! up.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jun 06, 2006 11:37 am 
Read some interesting tidbits regarding the Col Gorge basalts a few days ago. The predominant flows that make up the dramatic cliffs on the Oregon side are a result of flood basalt eruptions from the Grand Ronde Rift system, not from the Larch / Defiance volcanic group as I had assumed previously. The really surprising thing is the basalt that is commonly seen in the Coast Mountains north of Newport(ish) is the same basalt.

ree

ree
PostTue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 pm 
PIB, they got those kid's science kits, where you can make an exploding volcano (ala Brady Bunch)... I think I bought one for my brother once.

liembo

liembo
PostWed Jun 07, 2006 4:16 pm 
I've always been fascinated with the columbia platea lava flows and the channeled scablands. Maybe because the layers of lava were so evident in the various valleys of the Blue Mountains that I used to frequent with my dad back in the day: Tucannon, Mill Creek, Umatilla, etc, not to mention the Columbia Gorge near Wallula and the Snake River canyon to the north of Walla Walla and Whitman counties. One little known, and little visited area outside of geology circles, is a place we used to call the "Little Grand Canyon", though its more common name is Burlingame Canyon near Gardena, WA. This curious landform was formed when an irrigation canal broke and flooded out a deep cut in the soil. The series of layers that it revealed helped reinforce the theory of at least one, of not multiple cataclysmic Lake Missoula floods that formed the channeled scablands. (Each layer was dropped as the water pooled behind the Wallula Gap). It was in this very canyon that my grandfather, as a youth, found a 12" mastadon tusk which we consider one of our family's most treasured posessions. But end-to-end, the story about the columbia plateau is fascinating, from small ditches like Burlingame, to the massive potholes hammered out by underwater vortexes during the floods.. just awesome, and unimaginable stuff. At the bottom of this page are some good photos of Burlingame: http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/projects/geoweb/participants/dutch/VTrips/Scablands4.HTM

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Jun 07, 2006 4:57 pm 
Quote:
The first person to note that the Aleutian Cleveland Volcano was spewing ash was astronaut Jeffrey N. Williams aboard the International Space Station. Looking down on the Alaskan Aleutian Islands two weeks ago, Williams noted, photographed, and reported a spectacular ash plume emanating from the Cleveland Volcano. Starting just before this image was taken, the Cleveland Volcano underwent a short eruption lasting only about two hours.
Nasa report

liembo

liembo
PostWed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 pm 
We went on a 14 night cruise in the Caribbean in April, and one of the highlights of the trip was our passing by the island volcano of Montserrat between the islands of Nevis and Antigua. We passed by around 8pm which was dark, but the light show was amazing. It was very much like the video you may have seen of the Indonesian volcano of Marapi, with massive fireballs ejecting out of the dome and exploding and cascading in pieces down the flanks. I've never seen anything like it. I tried to capture it as best as I could with my camera off the deck of the ship:
(~1-5sec exposures, handheld, 10D with 70-200 f/4 L)