Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gloyd Seeps - South
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Dec 27, 2004 7:32 pm 
I got my copy of Desert Hikes for Christmas and put it to use today. Since I was visiting family in Eastern Washington, I decided to head out to Hike 76, Gloyd Seeps - South. I didn't get there until about 2 PM, as the morning was spent installing a new kitchen faucet for my mom. lol.gif The day was beautiful; sunny and crisp. I don't think I followed the route as described in the book, but with so many of the hike in the desert, it doesn't really matter. There are game trails, hunter and fisherman trails and cross-country options and very little risk of losing your way. I forded a small tributary of Crab Creek in the family car and found a place off the dirt road to park. The creek itself is frozen over in most places but the ice is not real thick. The most striking thing is the absolute stillness; very little noise at all except for the crunching beneath your feet and the occasional whistling of duck wings as they look for a spot of open water to land on. I saw a few hawks and noticed deer tracks as I wandered along the frozen shoreline. As the sun sank lower in the sky, I decided to head back taking a more direct route away from the creek toward the car. As I crested a small hill I was suprised to see six deer about 75 yards away. They just stood and watched me and then galloped off. I followed their tracks over the next rise and saw three more - 8 does and one buck in all. They pranced off, stopping occasionally to glance back at me. The sunset was really beautiful with glimpses of the top of Rainier and Glacier Peak off to the west as I drove back. A great, short little hike! up.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Dec 27, 2004 9:01 pm 
Kleet, I don't have the book yet - where exactly do you enter Gloyd Seeps South? I ask because I'm very familar with the section of Gloyd Seeps that is not too far from Soap Lake, where there is a WDFW parking area. I used to do some bird hunting in this area. You're right, it's a fun place to go in the winter. I also hit the Rocky Ford area in the winter. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Dec 27, 2004 9:14 pm 
Cliff, You access it off of Stratford Road, about 16 miles north of Moses Lake. Head east on Road 16 NE for about 3 miles and you're pretty much there. I don't have the book in front of me, but you should be able to figure it out from there since you can see Crab Creek from the road as you descend.

salish

salish
PostMon Dec 27, 2004 10:27 pm 
Thanks Kleet. I know exactly where you're talking about. Appreciate it. -C

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 10:51 am 
Kleet--glad you had time to stop by there. The access when I last was there was very muddy and wet likewise, normal for this time of year. You hit on the one thing that stands out to me on that spot: quiet. Birds, and quiet. There was a huge red-tailed hawk nest in the one large tree by the described "trailhead parking" spot when I was there last. And I remember how nice the hunter blinds work for bird photography there! Then, a coyote came along as I was in the blind...but went behind me where I couldnt' see it until it was past me. Nice to hear the good size mule deer population that you saw too. This place is great for finding horned lizards in April too up.gif Alan

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 8:50 pm 
Gloyd Seeps. I just wanted to see that wonderful name again. smile.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 9:05 pm 
Gloyd Seeps - Gloyd Seeps - Gloyd Seeps - Gloyd Seeps
Alan, I saw the exact nest you spoke of. And I imagine the hawks I saw were the residents there. I didn't explore it, but nearby there is a large fireplace/chimney remnant standing like a lone soldier. Do you know if it's from an old homestead?

ree

ree
PostWed Dec 29, 2004 6:24 pm 
So is it low sage and chapparal? Any big trees? I don't have much of a clue what it looks like over there. Any pix? Sounds like a nice trip!! Nice and peaceful.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Dec 29, 2004 6:38 pm 
Awww, sorry ree. I had my digital camera with me but forgot to charge the battery, so no pictures. Just imagine small basalt outcroppings mottled with green and orange lichen, sagebrush, cattails.....and quiet.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Dec 29, 2004 7:29 pm 
kleet wrote:
The most striking thing is the absolute stillness;
Pretty amazing how so many folks are struck by the complete silence and stillness of Central Washington. The stillness is half the beauty! ree. No way I'm gonna allow you to not experience coulee-land. I've said it a hunnert times: Everybody I know eventually ends up sleeping at the bottom of a coulee. That sounds sorta bad, I know. But you'll just have to trust me. Good trip report, Comrade Kleetonovich.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting