Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Your favorite bratwurst
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:26 am 
I've had a few from vendors. Never really bought any from the stores tho but I'm thinking about it. So the question is: which is your favorite? What kind of taste do they have? Mild, spicy, etc? How do you like em fixed up? Thanks

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:37 am 
hurl.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:44 am 
Bavarian Meat Delicatessen 1920 Pike Pl. Seattle, WA 98101 Phone: 206-441-0942

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 11:46 am 
I don't know about real brats but I do enjoy the occasional Johnsonville Beef Hot Link from the store. It's not really hot (I'm a spice wuss) and it may be the single worst thing on the planet for you to eat. When I grill them you can literally see the fat sweating out. It's like watching a guy who weighs three bills work out at the gym. Edit: Big buns, mustard, onion, and ketchup until I can't even see or really taste it!

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 12:16 pm 
I can't remember the brand right now. But to fix them, boil them in a mix of water and cheap beer for 4 minutes or so. Get some onions going early on the stove, sauteeing them over low heat for 1hr. Nice and carmelized. up.gif

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 12:25 pm 
Hans' Sausage & Delicatessen 717 SW 148th St Ste B Burien, WA 98166 It's run by a bunch of Hausfrau's, and they are hard to beat for authentic German Brats. They make much of their product, and I believe the Brats are nitrate free.

solohiker

solohiker
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 12:25 pm 
Fischer's on Front Street (Issaquah) are as good as it gets. And Yukon - I thought boiling bratwurst in beer and carmelizing the onions was a family secret - maybe we're cousins!

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 4:07 pm 
solohiker wrote:
Fischer's on Front Street (Issaquah) are as good as it gets. And Yukon - I thought boiling bratwurst in beer and carmelizing the onions was a family secret - maybe we're cousins!
Well, I don't know. Not much in common. Just both on NWH, same bratwurst recipe, Fisher's Meats up.gif up.gif , I like to solo hike, live in the Cascade foothills. Cousins? Probably just multiple coincidences. lol.gif

imbecile

imbecile
PostSat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm 
I second Hans' Meat and Delicatessen (I was born and grew up in Bavaria) and their German food is authentic. As for boiling bratwurst in beer, non, no, no! What heresy! You marinate your brats in beer and then grill them. Serve the on a german hard roll (also available at Hans') with spicy mustard.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Nov 04, 2007 9:10 pm 
I'm not too picky about my brats, as long as they're slathered in Beaver horseradish mustard. Marinading in beer is a must...but is it better to have a hoppier or maltier beer? I usually use a hefeweizen, which tastes "neutral" to me.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 am 
Bavarian Meat company is the way to go for brats. (landjaegers, too. This is where all the stores along hwy 542 get their landjaegers) To my taste, maltier beer makes a better marinade than hoppier beer. The onions should be cooked with a bit of that beer marinade so they carmelize with more flavor. Horse radish and good mustard are critical.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostMon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 am 
Johnsonvilles are pretty good for a mass-produced sausage. My wife and I like the Stadium Brats and kielbasa. But the best sausages around come from Double D D Meats in Mountlake Terrace. They have around 50 different varieties of sausage, all freshly made, at excellent prices. I prefer their landjaeger over Bavarian Meat's, although those are good, too.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
greg

greg
PostMon Nov 05, 2007 12:12 pm 
Stopped in a little craft shop/bakery kinda store in Hoquiam on Friday and they had razor clam bratwurst. I love razor clams, fried, frittered or in chowder, but the thought of them in a bratwurst made me nauseous hurl.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 05, 2007 12:47 pm 
They do odd things on the coast. It's like a whole nother planet; one that I like very much. For instance, cabbage and kielbasa soup can be found nestled in a steaming pot at the end of the salad bar at the Forks Cafe. If you saw cabbage and kielbasa soup at a restaurant in Seattle or another metropolis, the place would be out of business in a day. But on the coast, a cabbage and kielbasa soup just seems right, somehow. I wish to move to Forks someday.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Nov 05, 2007 2:19 pm 
Uli's in the Market. I like mine grilled over charcoal, with a toasted bun, and a bit of spicy stone-ground brown mustard. Perhaps some well-carmalized onions. With a cold Abita Amber. --Gray