Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cosho and Kimtah
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Aug 11, 2002 7:20 am 
These two peaks were climbed with fellow nwhiker "Glacier Peak" on a Friday-Saturday outing. The peaks lie to the north of Logan and are approached by SR 20 parking the car at the trailhead for Easy Pass. Go through Easy Pass and continue down the Fisher Creek trail several miles to about 200 yards past the log bridge with railing going over Fisher Creek. Then it is crosscountry up to Cosho. The name Cosho is probably Chinook jargon for "old-growth slide alder" as the first hour or so is spent laboriously grinding away altitude through an immense thicket of alder, vine maple, and willow. After summiting at 1800 the night was spent on a small patch of rocks and heather surrounded by snow overlooking Kimtah Glacier. The silence of the starry night was interrupted at times by icefall off the hanging glaciers of Kimtah. It was a perfect bivy site for the area though as it provided the only water source (we didn't bring a stove) for probably a mile. On Saturday the rising sun chased away the fog and we left camp at 0650. A little over 2 hrs later we were on the summit of Kimtah which probably means "crappy rock". We wound up separating on the descent. Glacier Peak took the forested route and I took the adventuresome gully route. He missed out on on getting soaked by two waterfalls and also the 300 foot ice cave birthing experience. It was so dark in the ice cave I seriously thought about taking out my headlamp. Ice caves are a peculiar part of the Cascades and I feel fortunate to have visited one this season. The total elevation gain for this outing was 10,300 feet. We left the car at 0930 Friday and returned at 1700 Saturday. The views of Logan were particularly rewarding.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message