Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Closing off wilderness debate
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aestivate

aestivate
PostSun Jan 16, 2005 8:20 pm 
mvs wrote:
It's funny that you say "these people." Aren't they the same people that bash their way in solitude to a remote lake, but there are just enough of them that a boot path has been created?
No. virtually all such trails are "helped along", or given a jump start. With flagging, lopping, and so forth. Without that, you typically do not get boot paths, unless there is some sharply defined natural travel route, e.g, a narrow ridge, because the few travellers do not concentrate in a single line. That is why I remove flagging wherever I find it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
aestivate

aestivate
PostSun Jan 16, 2005 8:35 pm 
Jamin Smitchger wrote:
The same reason why I oppose cairns and flagging is the same reason why I do not support building more trails. I would have joined wta by now if they did not participate in trail building. smile.gif
I think that's a little absolutist. Certainly when the WTA mag bloviates about the need to "rescue" the skyline trail route in the Olympics and cries up various "lost trails" and "undiscovered gems" or publishes articles puffing the Bailey range traverse they should be criticized. But there is, in my opinion, value in more quickie day-hike "edge" trails. Rattlesnake ledge-type trails. Most people want convenience above all, anyway. They're not really looking for wild. They're not bad. They've lent important support to a number of conservation causes. They just err in thinking that all trails are by definition good. And by all means, let the WTA legions labor rebuilding the Mt Si trail.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSun Jan 16, 2005 10:08 pm 
My point is, the type of people who think trails are the best thing since Adam are willing to hack and flag their way through the wilderness and leave a trail behind them. As a result, the hordes make a well beaten foot path up there and soon the place has fishermen and people galore. You people out there who build cairns and flag routes are really damaging the wilderness and ecology of these places. It may take 20 years for a route to become popular, but when it does, the trail up there will be an erosion problem and also bring hordes to the place until it is trampled to death (even the Robins were pristine once). Eventually, if the route becomes popular enough, the FS will end up building a trail there just there like Lake Serene. smile.gif

mvs

mvs
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 8:38 pm 
Okay, well, yeah, I can't speak for the folks hacking and cairning and flagging their way up brushy valleys with enthusiasm. I think that's a bad thing too. smile.gif I guess I'd take comfort in the earlier comment about trails going back to the land pretty quickly around here. Lately I've read about several old trails that I'd love to hike - if they still existed.

aestivate

aestivate
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 12:26 pm 
mvs wrote:
I guess I'd take comfort in the earlier comment about trails going back to the land pretty quickly around here. Lately I've read about several old trails that I'd love to hike - if they still existed.
This is true. One big reason we still have wildish country next to 5 million people is the weather and vegetation on the W side are really hard on roads and trails. And the brush, of course, frequently makes off-trail travel difficult. The flaggers-and-loppers are a plague, but the plague is worse in accesible places like the Si NRCA and the Middle Fork, and arguably the brush, vegetation and storm events win out in many somewhat less accessible places. Squire creek road, for example, is probably history, and Squire Creek Pass trail may follow it.

REJ

REJ
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 am 
Eeegads! I never realized how horrible an impact that trails and travel in general can have on our precious wilderness areas. It is clear that we need to reevaluate our outdoor plans in the future. I believe that we should all vow to drastically reduce or even stop hiking, backpacking, climbing, flagging, lopping and fishing as these activities clearly have great negative impact on the wilderness. Personally as part of my sacrifice to protect the wilderness, I plan to look into such wilderness friendly activities such as car camping, mountain biking, 4-wheeling, ATV or motor biking. These activities clearly have no impact on our beloved wilderness areas.

aestivate

aestivate
PostSat Jan 22, 2005 2:49 pm 
REJ wrote:
I believe that we should all vow to drastically reduce or even stop hiking, backpacking, climbing, flagging, lopping and fishing as these activities clearly have great negative impact on the wilderness. Personally as part of my sacrifice to protect the wilderness, I plan to look into such wilderness friendly activities such as car camping, mountain biking, 4-wheeling, ATV or motor biking. These activities clearly have no impact on our beloved wilderness areas.
By all means, continue hiking, backpacking, climbing and fishing. Just stop the lopping and flagging of unsanctioned trails. Not only is it damaging, it's illegal.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSat Jan 22, 2005 2:56 pm 
I totally agree. smile.gif

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 12:00 am 
The brush will win. My 1935 USFS map shows numerous trails that are no longer "in inventory". You can still see blazes and tread remaining along many of these old fire and mining tracks. I agree that hacking away, willy nilly, at brush in the backcountry is a bad idea. But I must say that helping delay the demise of the North Crest Cutoff, Castle Ridge 1188, Red Pass CCT, Kelley Creek, etc. etc. etc.....is not so bad. I think our hiking community could benefit by more of this "grandfather trail" mileage being taken out of mothballs. We can certainly use more alternatives to the gravelled and handrailed monstrosities like Si and Serene.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 6:42 pm 
But in the 1930's did we have a good trail to lake serene, the pct, and many other trails which have been created in the past century, I think not. smile.gif As for the grandfather trails that you want taken out of mothballs, do you want them taken out of mothballs by allowing them to become gravelled and handrailed like lake serene. Also, the trails to mines and such were not really hiking trails anyway. smile.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 23, 2005 8:50 pm 
Is Lake Serene in a wilderness area? Would the trail have been constructed differently if it were? What about that abandoned trail along Troublesome Creek. I think someone reported awhile back that a flood had obliterated much of it...

REJ

REJ
PostMon Jan 24, 2005 12:01 pm 
Graveled trail and hand railing on trails! That's nothing! They have paved trails at Mt Rainier! And what about all those bridges, signs and toliets in wilderness areas? The vast majority of user defined trails in wilderness areas were created as access routes for climbing, fishing, skinny dipping, drug running and other such unnecessary activities. Banning cross country travel, climbing, and fishing, etc. in wilderness areas and limiting legal foot access to existing authorized trails seem to be the only logical solutions available to stop the blight of unauthorized trails, flagging and lopping in wilderness areas. Without such as a travel ban it appears that the quality of our precious wilderness areas will continue to decline. Remember only authorized trails have a constitutional right to exist. All unauthorized trails must to eliminated to protect our precious wilderness areas from the blight of human activity.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostTue Jan 25, 2005 7:17 pm 
Wrong, travel in the backcountry should be allowed. Just don't build a trail while you're up there. By removing all flagging and ciarns on routes, all of us can make a difference in the amount of solitude in the wilderness.. smile.gif

mvs

mvs
PostWed Jan 26, 2005 8:49 am 
REJ wrote:
... Remember only authorized trails have a constitutional right to exist. All unauthorized trails must to eliminated to protect our precious wilderness areas from the blight of human activity.
I can barely see you winking lol.gif

WhiteJacket

WhiteJacket
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 1:36 am 
REJ wrote:
Banning cross country travel, climbing, and fishing, etc. in wilderness areas and limiting legal foot access to existing authorized trails seem to be the only logical solutions available to stop the blight of unauthorized trails, flagging and lopping in wilderness areas. Without such as a travel ban it appears that the quality of our precious wilderness areas will continue to decline. Remember only authorized trails have a constitutional right to exist. All unauthorized trails must to eliminated to protect our precious wilderness areas from the blight of human activity.
Thank God I live in Canada where this "blight" just simply does not exist. Still a pioneer spirit up here! biggrin.gif What a drastic step to take to have to ban climbing and fishing in wilderness areas. Apply this measure to north of the border and you'd have to shut down almost the entire country! campfire.gif