Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 6:09 am 
It was time to put my message to bed and move on so I deleted it. down.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 10:01 am 
I haven't noticed Wanderer "instructing" anyone on navigation in this thread, and I just reread the entire thread to make sure I didn't miss something. Again, all I've seen is a person asking questions that some seem to take personally no matter how benign the questions or responses. Wether or not this person is in CO makes no differnce to me, as long as they are civil, which Wanderer has been (in contrast to the seeming discomfort shown by some here over simple questions about navigation and tools), and as long as the content is solid, which IMO is has been. I welcome Wanderer wether this person is posting from Seattle, Wenatchee, Colorado, or Timbuktu. Regardless of the terrain any of us hike in, I'd like to think there's a common bond among those who explore the outdoors on foot, and I for one welcome Wanderer as one of those people who has been both civil and intelligent here regardless of disagreements over gear.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 10:08 am 
CascadeHiker wrote:
Personally, I think it is time to put this thread to bed and move on to information much more in tune with the name of this group, NWhikers. I think that means: those who hike in the northwest.
Cascade Hiker, I respectfully disagree. This board is here for anyone that wants to post non-abusive comments, whether they be "hikers", wanderers, scramblers, climbers, fishermen, photographers, hunters, peak baggers, or adventure racers, however skilled or unskilled, registered or guest, fit or not, and regardless of where they happen to spend the majority of their time in the outdoors.

SteveF

SteveF
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 11:43 am 
Hey Allison, the sociopath comment didn't bother me. This is just a web site after all! It's hard to take it all that seriously. Now the mountains... that I take very seriously and try to get out as often as is possible. Probably see ya out there one of these days! In fact, it's funny how often I run into familiar faces. clown.gif (careful, watch the nose)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 12:16 pm 
Last week at this time Allison was lugging a 4 day pack through Temple Canyon on her way to lake hopping and peak bagging in the 'chants, spends a lot of time on rock helping a guidebook author with new routes, and has published articles on gear repair and testing. She may like to post, but then so do I and both of us get out plenty! Not as much as some, more than many, but the effort and experience is all there.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
reststep

reststep
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 12:23 pm 
I think this has been a very interesting thread. I am not that experienced at cross country travel but what little bit I have done I have found the altimeter to be useful. Now with the tools that have been discussed in this thread previously a person has a good chance to determine where they are on the map but what I have a problem with is estimating distance by eyesight. Is there any method for that that any of you use? In another words if I am on a ridge and see my destination is there a way of estimating the distance just by eyesight or this basically an experience thing?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 12:56 pm 
if you have a decent topo you can compare geographic feature near your location, then identify the features in the distance, and then just use the map scaling for a guesstimate.

The Wanderer

The Wanderer
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 1:51 pm 
The Wanker wrote:
Who are Wanderer...Grizzly frickin Adams? If you can't afford an altimeter and GPS..stay off the frickin trail.
I'm not sure at all how I offended you Wanker. I don't think attacking people you don't know is beneficial to a discussion topic. Actually CascadeHiker I was stationed at Ft. Lewis for a while years ago and lived outside of Seattle for a while working for a previous employer. I don't consider myself an expert of the Cascades but I am familiar with the area. Is this normal for people to attack one another on these forums? I am new to the internet thing. Email was a big step for me not too long ago. I have found the information on this and other sites helpful. I value and respect all of your opinions. I do admit I am not a gadget fanatic, if you would have told me five years ago that I would be sending email, I would have laughed in your face. I thank you all for your input.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 2:05 pm 
Thanks for the interesting thread, too bad simple questions get such contentious responses. Come back and visit us again sometime soon. And don't register, it just encourages them.... tongue.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 7:39 pm 
Thanks for the kind words, Goat, be careful of you'll give me some, er, uh, credibility. This from a guy who was heard muttering under his breath behind me, "looks like she's got a friggin daypack on...." lol.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 7:53 pm 
I know not the Wanderer or the Wanker, but I uderstand what the Wanderer had to say. Nothing wrong however using tech stuff, I do, but often times I personally would rather follow my nose wherever that leads but the map is always there. As far as wandering, it's part of the adventure for me. I wouldn't be so quick to judge this wanderer - to each his own.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Aug 15, 2002 10:17 pm 
The Wanderer wrote:
Is this normal for people to attack one another on these forums? I am new to the internet thing. Email was a big step for me not too long ago.
It's common is some places on the Internet, but we don't get much of it here. Unfortunately, some people simply like to be abusive and insulting. I've found that if you ignore them, they run out of fuel and leave. My guess, from the use of the word "spray", is that Wanker is from cascadeclimbers.com, not surprising considering the cross-board bickering lately. As you can see here, he's not exactly an upstanding member of the community. rolleyes.gif

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostFri Aug 16, 2002 12:51 am 
How did the Great Altimeter Debate get so contentions? Is there a shortage of Alaskan Amber or something?

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
RainierRidgeRunner

RainierRidgeRunner
PostFri Aug 16, 2002 11:56 am 
rolleyes.gif I must confess, I don't even carry a compass. I don't even own one. Aha my next topic. I just drive to trails and try them out. I don't understand the trail numbering system at all. dizzy.gif shakehead.gif If I get in trouble, I just hope someone else is on the trail to save me. confused.gif smile.gif waah.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 16, 2002 8:02 pm 
I like my Suunto DO EVERYthing watch! Look into that and you'll be surprised what you get. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln