Forum Index > Trip Reports > Humpback Mtn. 1-8-05 Keechelus Ridge 1-9-05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Jan 09, 2005 9:26 pm 
Alright you people. I know you have been out there. Where are your trip reports? I want to read some trip reports!!!!!!! Sorry. Ok. Here's a couple short ones for you smile.gif On Saturday I climbed the N.W. ridge of Humpback Mt. with GabrielX. Views from the top were not much so we didn't take any pictures even though we both had our cameras with us (sorry). Snow conditions were 6-12in. of fluffy powder with seemingly nothing underneath - well, other than the usual nature stuff; logs, sticks, etc. This made for some slippery footing in places and the tricky disappearing leg(s) amongst the boulders routine (this got tedious quickly!!) Windy at the summit. Left the car at 7:30am, back by 11:50am. We both brought but did not use/need snowshoes. This is a good winter route up.gif Today I went snowshoeing with some friends up to Keechelus ridge. We got a- ahem- later start*, and left the cars at 10:50am eek.gif After about a mile or so on the road/trail, we zoomed up through the trees, crossing the/ or a road a couple of times before reaching what we deemed 'the convergence of everything' (this included snowmobiles - which I'm not going to comment on) We turned around here, running back down through the woods to find some fresh air! We all agreed the snow was marvelously fun and deep and powdery, and we hit every jump (read:snowcovered stump) on the way down for some 'wicked air'. Note: snowshoes are only needed for the 'off-road' adventure. Waking on the road is perfectly fine without them, although everyone we saw was wearing them from the moment they left the car. *this may or may not have anything to do with rumors of mechanical bull riding the night before!
keechelus snowshoe
keechelus snowshoe

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolfs

wolfs
PostTue Jan 11, 2005 11:59 am 
What was the road like to get to the Humpback "TH" - icy? Bare? Reasonable for a Subaru, say?

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Jan 11, 2005 1:10 pm 
The road was snow covered, but not icy. It seemed reasonable for the subaru that we took up there.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jan 12, 2005 6:27 am 
It was a little icy on Sunday afternoon, but no real problems (also Subaru). Road was still snow covered.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Jan 22, 2005 3:05 pm 
Humpback Mtn 1-22-05 Update A certain Tabby clued me in to where the “trail” is, and a good place to park, above the Iron horse. There was absolutely no snow until the very top, and not much up there. The views were fairly nice, but I didn’t stick around, due to rain. Over all it was a pleasant walk. I think on the next nice weekend, I will try the complete loop.
Hump 005
Hump 005