Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jefferson View Shelter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostTue Jan 18, 2005 10:04 pm 
You people have been so kind to share your experiences with me in the Trip Reports. I'm going to do my best to add some of my own experiences, beginning with the following account. It was Sunday afternoon, the 16th of Jan. The previous Saturday was virtually shut down by freezing rain. Now it is unseasonably warm, into the 50s. Snow conditions are crappy at best. There's a playoff game coming up on the TV. Time to go camping. wink.gif About 20 miles due south of Sisters, OR is a snow park called Upper Three Creeks Snow Park. It requires a snow park pass but I'm OK with it. You get what you pay for, unlike other permits. Snowmobiles and skiiers alike depart from this area to discover the hidden winter world of the high alpine. Just above Three Creeks lake is Tam McArthur Rim, a spectacle in itself. Scattered randomly around you a closeup range are Broken Top and the Three Sisters. There are ski trails for every interest. I was able to get out of the trailhead at about 3PM, only 2 more hours of sunlight. I was right. The ski conditions sucked. I found it easier to throw my skiis over my shoulder and ascend the top of the ridge on foot. From the top, it was another mile and a half (total 2-1/4 mi) to Jefferson View Shelter. All the crowds had dispersed and it was just me and the peace that I had dreamed about all last couple of months. The trail had been carved out of a large stand of Lodgepole Pine in varying generations. On occasion there would be an opening where I could see numerous mountains. Upon arrival at the shelter, the stove was still warm and inviting. It was a three sided log shelter, well constructed by the Forest Service and the National Guard a few years ago. There are more scattered around this area. Great idea for winter camping. It had benches around, a wood stove in the center and a lot of firewood stacked up for easy reach. I spent the rest of the night backed up to that stove, faced outward to watch the waning light eventually hide the vast face of the North Sister. Off in the distance, I could see Three Fingered Jack, Mount Washington, Mount Jefferson and Mount Hood. It was warm that night and the constant drip drip drip of the snow melting off of the roof made it almost seem like it was raining. I got to try out my newest outdoor gear. This was a test run on a backpack and a sleeping bag. I fell in love with my new backpack, a Go-Lite Speed. It had lots of room and pockets everywhere. My new Go-Lite Feather bag was great also. I put the pads and bag on the gravel floor and slept like a baby. I had also bought a Clip Flashlight but left it at home in favor of the shelter. All told, the whole thing only weighed 22 lbs including water, food and beer (well, there was room). I awoke to the whistling of wind in the trees. The trees were thick enough that the wind was largely heard but not felt. I was able to catch a shot from my sleeping bag of the North Sister as the sun ever so briefly touched it. Then it was gone. The clouds rolled in and squashed any chance of more mountain pictures. I spent another session of backing up to the stove and watching the world go by before packing up for the day. After leaving the shelter, I decided to go deeper into the wilderness before eventually returning. A couple of miles up the trail, there was a junction that led me toward Park Meadow, a meadow at the very base of the South Sister. Just over the ridge between the South and Broken Top is the famed Green Lakes. I wish that I had the time to swing around the base of these mountains and come out the McKenzie Pass way, but another day. The whole section above the shelter was a reasonably well groomed ski trail and the going was actually quite fun. The weather was warm and I got that occasional mist in the face. Felt good. The wind was blowing and the trees were whistling like a rushing river. Life is good. When I got to within 4-1/2 miles of the trailhead, the trail intersected with a major snowmobile trail. This was maybe 20 feet wide and had been well packed by the machines from the weekend. With a nice downhill grade and flat snow, I couldn't resist. Afterall, the snow machines were gone.. it was Monday. With the wind in the trees and the zing of the skiis, I pointed myself downhill and glided non stop for the full four and a half miles to the parking lot. I think it took me right at 20 minutes. What a thrill. Should you ever decide to get on down to the southeast side of the Northwest, it will be an experience not to forget. I would happy to answer any questions.
1Jeff View1
1Jeff View1
1Jeff View
1Jeff View

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 3:24 am 
Nice pics and report, thanks. How did you get that nice color to show on the mountain in the first picture? It looks like you used a flash, which usually drowns out distant color like that.

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 5:56 am 
Thanks Slugman. The flash caught the interior. I also thought about no flash to get a silhouete. The sun illuminated the mountain for just a moment and then it was gone. Or maybe it was the flash. biggrin.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
salish

salish
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 11:16 am 
CP, that's a wonderful report, and the pictures are great, thanks. I love your area and every year I rent the USFS Greenridge lookout tower near Black Butte, with a commanding view of all the mountains you've mentioned. It sits 500' above the Metolius River and the views are incredible. The outhouse is pointed right at Mt. Jefferson, so you can leave the door open while you're taking care of business and have a beautiful view. I also sometimes get down to Hosmer Lake to fish, and I love that area, too. Your description of Mt. Jefferson makes me want to get down there soon! Attaching a photo from the inside of the tower - you can just barely see Mt. Jeff in the background through the window. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.