Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > MF Snoqualmie River Road Statement from FS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:07 pm 
if'n you don't mind that few extra miles, the trail on the S shore is your ticket and the road doesn't need to be closed. Unless it's not all about the extra walk, but somehow related to how other people get to the DM trailhead when you chose to walk.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gj

gj
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:22 pm 
Goat, as I said, I personally feel if closing the road will make the wilderness deeper and a little wilder, then close it. I'm willing to work a little harder for it.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:23 pm 
gj wrote:
I agree, whatever your position, make it known to the Forest Service. Personally, if it will make the wilderness deeper, I say close the road. I don't mind walking a few more miles. I like the Middle Fork Trail. I always felt wilderness is something you earned.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. Williams Lake is a popular destination, that will be eliminated immediately with the road closure. Again, for day hike or more likely overnight backpacking. And I'll include Camp Pedro in that smile.gif And as far as continuing on to Ivanhoe or Chain La Bohn, yes I've done that too and there is NO REASON to remove reasonable, existing close access from us folks on the I-90 side that HWY 2 folks enjoy.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:28 pm 
Kat, I think you are missing the point here. This is not a conspiracy to discriminate against people who live near I-90, it's something that the FS is doing to cut costs, among other things. In any case, we are getting yet another chance to comment, so do so.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
touron

touron
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:32 pm 
Couldn't trail park fees collected on the MFK be used to keep the road open?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:33 pm 
marylou wrote:
Kat, I think you are missing the point here. This is not a conspiracy to discriminate against people who live near I-90, it's something that the FS is doing to cut costs, among other things. In any case, we are getting yet another chance to comment, so do so.
No dear, I'm not missing the point. Perhaps you are. My point is one more arrow against the USFS megalith.... should you choose to use it.

gj

gj
Kat, no I guess we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about making the wilderness deeper and wilder and you're talking about where you won't be able to dayhike to. Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for you.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
I'm too busy to read the statement in detail, but let me get this straight, the FS is going to gate the road but continue to maintain it at the request of inholders as the budget allows? So, under this scenario, what difference does it make if they don't gate the road at Dingford? They could still have the inholders do 95% of the maintanance without the gate, no?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:38 pm 
Randy wrote:
I'm too busy to read the statement in detail, but let me get this straight, the FS is going to gate the road but continue to maintain it at the request of inholders as the budget allows? So, under this scenario, what difference does it make if they don't gate the road at Dingford? They could still have the inholders do 95% of the maintanance without the gate, no?
The difference is, you won't be able to DRIVE to the DMG trailhead

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:41 pm 
So, Kat, your opinion is that the FS just doesn't want people to drive to the end of the road vs. other more financially driven reasons for the gate?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:43 pm 
gj wrote:
Kat, no I guess we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about making the wilderness deeper and wilder and you're talking about where you won't be able to dayhike to. Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for you.
I said dayhike AND overnight. I have animals I have to take care of that make extended trips impossible. Besides, I reiterate - it is NOT fair for folks to waltz in from hwy2 to an overnight hike into the area when it has been REMOVED from folks approaching from I-90. THIS IS MY MAJOR OBJECTION!!!!!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:48 pm 
Quote:
No dear, I'm not missing the point. Perhaps you are. My point is one more arrow against the USFS megalith.... should you choose to use it.
No thanks, my opinions on the subject are more cogent than that, so I'll just stick with the ones I've got. wink.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 8:56 pm 
I've never been to DMG, so I'm a little ambivalent on whether they keep the road open or not, but since everyone has to buy a trail park pass, and since the money from the pass is supposed to stay in general area it is collected from, it seems a quite valid use of those monies might be to keep the road open.

gj

gj
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 9:11 pm 
Kat, you need a critter-sitter. Maybe they should close the roads on the Hwy 2 side too.

Damian

Damian
PostWed Jan 19, 2005 9:56 pm 
Having followed this debate closely for the past 20+ years I am personally convinced that keeping the road open in its current shape is the right approach. If you don't intend to read the assessment http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/ then take a few minutes to read what other seasoned hikers on this forum have to say about it. Please take a moment to send in your comments to Doug Schrenk dschrenk@fs.fed.us. Or call him on 425-888-1421 ext 233. Your vote counts.