Forum Index > Trail Talk > Has Anyone Met Any Animal When Hinking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikinglover

hikinglover
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 12:38 am 
I'm a new hiker. I just wonder if you have met dangerous animals like snake, tigers or bears in you guys hiking experiences. I have met a bear just in the trail behind my neighborhood last summer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 12:59 am 
I try not to hink when there might be dangerous animals around. Best to keep that til one's safe at home, behind locked doors. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 1:01 am 
I could have commented on "hink" but I didn't want to get everyone's dander up again on this website! paranoid.gif Yes I met a bear once at Mt. Rainier NP but I didn't exactly introduce myself.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 1:16 am 
I ran into a timber tiger on a few occasions. Thats why I always carry nickles with me. If you rattle a hand full of nickles at a timber tiger, it will scare them everytime.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 1:17 am 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
I could have commented on "hink" but I didn't want to get everyone's dander up again on this website! paranoid.gif
<grin> I could've commented on "whorefrost" but couldn't think of anything funny to say at the time. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 1:45 am 
Whorefrost is such a rude name....they should call it Courtesanfrost don't ya think? agree.gif Timber tigers, hmmmm, I forgot about them and never carry any change.... eek.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 2:49 am 
I am constantly accosted by tigers while hinking, but can you ever find one when you need one? No! I won't bore the regulars here with another account of my brush with death from the Devil Bear, but here's a link for the fresh meat... Scroll past the pics for the hair-raising Devil Bear story!!!!!!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 4:13 am 
Cougar. Black bear. Wolverine. Wild carniverous snowshoe hair! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 5:58 am 
They don't call it wilderness for nothing! biggrin.gif Once I was hiking along with a bunch of companions looking for a special cup when a bunny shot out of nowhere and ripped their throats out...ok, ok, so that wasn't me but I hear it's a true story! How about the time I encountered a fast moving and evil banana slug on the trail? Before I knew it, he slid under the heel of my boot and I slipped. Diabolical I tell you! Then there was my encounter with a thruhiker on the PCT (almost the same as dangerous wildlife). He smelled bad even from a distance and bore down on me with a glazed look on his face. So I did my best to stay ahead of him but despite his short stature, I was losing ground. I could tell he had only one depraved goal in mind...he was after my Lucky Charms! Finally when I could keep up the relentless pace no longer, he overtook me. I sat panting and beaten by the side of the trail waiting for the inevitable. He said "Hi" and dissapeared down the trail in a cloud of dust and BO.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Stuart

Stuart
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 8:01 am 
You should not joke like that. I'm a recovering thruhiker and it's a sensitive topic for me. You got away lucky HB. Flash a smile or a friendly gesture at a thruhiker and you'll be stuck with em for the next ten miles. If it weren't for an intervention, I'd still be leaching onto poor unsuspecting dayhikers.

salish

salish
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 9:11 am 
I saw a female grizzly with cubs - at a distance, back in 1975 near Glacier Park. A few years ago my party of three humans and two dogs were trailed by a cougar in the snow near Watson-Anderson Lakes, on an overnighter. We found his tracks when we left the next day. It was kind of interesting to see where he spotted us from, where he converged with our tracks, and how far he followed us, and where he broke off. They are fascinating animals. Then just last August I saw a huge black bear near the trail to Surprise Lake.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 11:33 am 
Salish, that Watson-Anderson area is the same place I had a cougar stalking me. When the hair on the back of my neck stood up, I made a quick turn to look behind me and all I really saw was a flash of brown when the cougar saw me turn. Not a good feeling. I'm sure we all have been watched or even stalked by cougars if we spend any time in the mountains at all. They are very curious animals. The worst concentration of cougars though is in Pullman. Dem's the evil kind. hockeygrin.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 11:37 am 
hikinglover wrote:
I'm a new hiker. I just wonder if you have met dangerous animals like snake, tigers or bears in you guys hiking experiences. I have met a bear just in the trail behind my neighborhood last summer.
Tigers? D'you mean lions, as in cougars? I've only seen a cat from the confines of my car. Unlike bears, cougars are not animals I feel compelled to seek out.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 11:48 am 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
Whorefrost is such a rude name....they should call it Courtesanfrost don't ya think? agree.gif
Or perhaps "hoarfrost"? wink.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 12:03 pm 
Unusual wildlife encounter: clown.gif
Blanca Lake Tiger
Blanca Lake Tiger

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf