Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Forest Service Centennial Film
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 11:20 am 
From the Lookout group mailing list came this message, which I'm passing on to interested historians: The Forest Service has posted a website announcing the film: The Greatest Good: A Forest Service Centennial Film. The web address is: http://www.fs.fed.us/greatestgood/index.shtml The movie Trailer can be seen at: http://www.fs.fed.us/greatestgood/film/trailer.shtml?sub2 You can buy a DVD of the movie

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
frankm3

frankm3
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 8:21 am 
We saw this film at the REI downtown a couple Saturdays ago; Quark, her friend Janet, and I went to see it. I thought this was a really enjoyable film; the historic film footage, the interviews with the 'old timers' of forestry, and the discussion on the ongoing role/ purpose of the Forest Service, all made it well worth seeing! As HH mentioned in the original post, the DVD is available for sale, I will probably buy one, the film was definitely worth seeing again....But then again, I also have Forest Service videos on using/ sharpening old tools, so I might not be the best giver of perspective on "cool forestry movies".

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 8:50 am 
Yup, it was a very interesting film, some humor in it, too. The film also tells the story of the man who thunk up the idea for the Wilderness Act. (no, i'm not going to spout off about it). It was a hearty bunch of men and women who were among the first FS employees. Hopefully folks will come away with a better understanding of the FS, where it came from, and it's intent (which, at best, was confusing and fuzzy from the very beginning).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 9:46 am 
My Dad was in the Service back in the '60s; in fact, he was crew chief on the Lake 22 trail, among other projects, and occassionally fought fires. He brought home the paper sleeping bags and C-rations he was issued. We thought that was pretty cool! I'll have to pick up a copy of the DVD.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf