Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Carl Putvin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtngrl

mtngrl
PostThu Feb 03, 2005 9:06 am 
Last weekend I went up the Putvin/Lake of the Angels Trail (Olympics). Along the side of the trail I saw Carl Putvin's grave marker. Does anyone have any information about him or his life? He died so young, 1892-1913. frown.gif
grave marker
grave marker

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Feb 03, 2005 11:17 pm 
Here is an excerpt from this link
Quote:
The sky was clear and the trail real dark as we moved slowly through the timber until the light of day made the path easier to see. Putvin trail is a steep 2.5 mile hike to the cabin in White Horse basin the story of the trapper Putvin was well known he died one winter around the turn of the century I should say the 1900s He was heading to the nearest settlement to get medication for his very sick daughter and the cold winter took him before he could return another reminder of the treachery of the wilderness.

mtngrl

mtngrl
PostFri Feb 04, 2005 12:17 pm 
Thanks for the link/info. That's awfully sad.

mtngrl

mtngrl
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 9:33 am 
Found more info, thought I would share. The following is from the Mason County Historical Society, which states the below information is from Vivian Boerger from Mildred Putven, daughter-in-law of Carl Putven. All the records spell Putvin with an "e" instead of an "i". "...There is a historical marker near grave site. It says "Near here is grave of Carl Putven, pioneer, trapper and explorer b Sept 4, 1892 - January 10, 1913." Carl Putven lived with his wife and half brother and young son in a cabin in the meadows above the grave site. (Up what is now known as Putven Trail.) Carl had gone out for supplies and apparently stopped along the trail on the way home. He was found frozen to death sitting by the trail, the supplies in his pack. His family started to pack his body out but it was too difficult, so they buried him near the present site. A railroad track was put through the area where the grave was and the grave was moved nearby to its present site. ...Marietta Putven - mother of Carl married _ Moody in 1915. Carl's father had drowned while the family lived on Camano Island. Marietta Putven was born in Lower Lake, CA. Her parents were C.P. Stanton and Alice Floder. Carl's wife's name was Ada Richards and she was born in VA."

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 8:59 pm 
mtngrl wrote:
Found more info, thought I would share.
A sad ending to a young man’s short life. At least he left a son to carry his story. We should all be so lucky where, 100 years after our passing, a stranger such as you would care enough to spend time writing a few words in our memory.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
cderie

cderie
PostSat Mar 01, 2008 5:25 pm 
Hi, My name is Carla, and Putvin is my maiden name; Carl was my great-grandfather. We don't know a whole lot because he did die so young and only had one child (my grandfather, who was only a couple of years old at the time), but the story is that a tree fell on him while he was either heading out to or returning from Eldon with supplies, and he froze to death. Apparently the family cabin was at/near Lake of the Angels (one heck of a hike for supplies)! I grew up in Shelton and climbed the trail twice with my husband; it is beautiful up there. Can't wait to go back when the kids get a little older; great family history lesson. Apparently you can make a loop from Lena Lake and go down the Putvin trail from the other direction (or vice versa I guess), which I would like to do some day. Happy Hiking! c

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostSat Mar 01, 2008 5:44 pm 
Welcome cderie! Thanks for adding you personal history. Here is a trip some us took last year connecting Lena Lake to the Putvin Trail. I hope it helps you plan your trip.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Mar 01, 2008 7:24 pm 
Thanks for adding that Carla. It would be interesting to know more of your family history on the penninsula.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Mar 02, 2008 4:32 pm 
Hi Carla, welcome aboard. Last fall WTA had a work party on the Putvin trail. We cleaned up around Carl's memorial site, and used a downed cedar as a new post for his marker. The short way trail to and from his marker was also cleared. It's all ready for your next visit. smile.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 pm 
Hello Carla. Yes thank you for adding a personal touch to an already sad story. I'm curious (having been there) why anyone would put a cabin at Lake of Angels? There isn't much there, and the trail sure isn't any fun..... Welcome aboard.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Mar 02, 2008 8:17 pm 
Was he a trapper? There were lots of folk who lived in and around the mountains who trapped to get by well into the 20th century. I knew one as a kid around 1970 before he died of old age. Howard Balsdon. The government had a bounty on Cougar, etc.. So, it was an honest living. Being a trapper was an acceptable way of life here for many, many years. Edit: Someday I will post Howard Balsdons pictures here. There used to be some of his pictures and a display at the Cashmere, Wash. Museum. I will get the pic's (I know the families) to post here - if you like looking at a lot of dead animal furs -lots of them. It was a way of life. Please stay tuned for more on this thread.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Here is an excerpt from this link
Quote:
The sky was clear and the trail real dark as we moved slowly through the timber until the light of day made the path easier to see. Putvin trail is a steep 2.5 mile hike to the cabin in White Horse basin the story of the trapper Putvin was well known he died one winter around the turn of the century I should say the 1900s He was heading to the nearest settlement to get medication for his very sick daughter and the cold winter took him before he could return another reminder of the treachery of the wilderness.
This bit about a daughter and medication has to be wrong. This goes against nearly everthing else I've ever read. He was said to have had a son up there not a daughter and they ran out of supplies so he went to town for more and his friend was supposed to meet him but was not there so he stopped and fell asleep while waiting and then died. That is the story I have heard.