Forum Index > Trail Talk > TV Hiking show
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nitpacker

nitpacker
PostMon Aug 19, 2002 7:12 am 
On OLN there is an early 6am show called "Great Hikes". I watched it today (monday). I am not sure if it is on other days also. Todays show was about the Eagle Creek hike at the Columbia Gorge. They have had other shows about hiking in the Olympics, Desolation Wilderness and Colorado. Anyone have more info on this show? I am planning to tape them to watch during the winter months.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Aug 19, 2002 9:14 am 
Yes
I've seen it many times on OLN and it's sometimes ok. It's the one with the tall blond chic and a kind of New York wiseguy wannabe, and they're out to cool places for day hikes every week. They've actually done a few shows from the northwest, such as the Olympics (as you've mentioned) as well as Orcas Island, and some hikes in the Oregon coast. One of the shows I really liked was from Bryce Canyon. The "witty" banter can get a little tiresome and the comic relief from the goofball is lame. I haven't seen the show in a long time and if OLN is showing it in the early morning it may be all reruns by now. OLN tends to revolve it's older programs (and failing programs) to the early morning hours. It's still fun to watch, though, and I actually prefer it to programs likes Trailside. I've had good & bad luck with OLN's scheduling info in my attempts to tape programs. In the past there were times when their schedule just didn't match what I was seeing, and their response via their internet web sight was just awful. I've also tried calling them on the 800 number never had much luck. Maybe they've changed things by now. Of course, now, about half the time you turn the channel on you'll see bicycle racing.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Aug 19, 2002 11:49 am 
I saw that show once. They were doing a part of the North Umpqua trail in Oregon. I've tried to find the show since, but every time I go to the channel it's always "sport" hunting (I say it with quotes because hunting is about as far from as sport as you can get).

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 19, 2002 3:03 pm 
Certainly more sporting that obtaining one's beef, chicken, fish, etc from the grocery store! rolleyes.gif After all, these animals spend their time in their native habitat, living wild until the off chance someone drops one during hunting season. Me, I don't hunt, but I do think a good case can be made for naturally grown meats obtained that way, in both the environmental sense and the case for humane treatment. Is it better to wander the wild and have a solid chance of a completely natural death (starvation, predators, etc), or never see the wild, live your life on a farm, with a 100% chance of a trip to the slaughterhouse? As for the sport, it is definitely a sport IMO, especially bowhunting which takes supreme stalking skill to get close enough and a lot of practice to make a good shot.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers