Forum Index > Gear Talk > Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheHikingGuy

TheHikingGuy
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 7:57 am 
I just bought a pair of Asolo Fusion 290GTX at REI. Very similar to the 95's. They were on the clearance shelf because as the tag said "blisters on heel" in other words the person wasn't fitted for them and returned them promptly. They were in mint shape except they had some mud on them. Original price for them was $165-red tagged for $79. I went up to the sales guy and said "these soles look a little worn can you do any better in price?" He glanced at the boots and knocked the price down to $49. So I got a pair of quality goretex boots for $49. Great boot, great fit, some breathability and fully waterproof. Traction is a bit weak on wet rock but overall really happy with the boots. I agree with Allison though if you can get a good leather boot that may be your best route. Depends what you need the boots for. Leather does require a little more maintenance but can last a long time. So hey thats my .02 cents, not sure what you are lookin to spend.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 8:32 am 
CascadeHiker wrote:
Say Dante and Pappy, do you think the Asolo FSN 95's are crampon compatible? I too am looking to upgrade my footgear for more snow/glacier travel. Your input will be appreciated. Thank you.
What rubberlegs said. I've been thinking about buying a pair of Camp 6 Point Crampons, Stubai Ultralights or the like. On the boot question, LL Bean Cresta Hikers get awesome reviews, but I've never mail-ordered any footwear that was not made to measure.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 9:02 am 
My wide feet are hard to fit. Consequently I can't just go out and buy what everyone recommends because almost nothing fits me properly and I would have never even considered buying boots I hadn't tried on first until my dad bought a pair of boots from LL Bean. Their boots come in widths and he realized that with their excellent return policies there wasn't much to lose in trying. In turn I tried his boots on and I was hooked and bought a pair. When they went on sale last winter I bought 3 more pairs of these Bean boots.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 9:31 am 
Nice. Obviously you like them. What have you used them for? Maybe I'll try a pair when my Asolos die.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 10:37 am 
I did 9 days in the Great Bear Wilderness with those boots. Lots of x-country travel both on that trip and here in WA. They are nice and solid. I haven't had much chance to use them in snow but they should work well. I'm heading out tonight to put 10 days on them in the Cloud Peak Wilderness in Wyoming.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch