Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpacks for Kids
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 11:09 am 
Finding backpacks for seven-year-olds is a chore. Locally, there is not much. There are some mail order sources, all expensive with the fit unknown. The smallest REI Half Dome, cinched all the way down, fits my 14-inch-torso son perfectly. He says it is very comfortable with a moderate load. It holds 2200 cubic inches and runs a reasonable $54. At 2-1/2 pounds, it is heavy relative to the load a kid carries. The weight could be reduced by having the big, unnecessary, back pouch removed. This would probably be a good backpack for older kids. The Half Dome does not fit my 12-inch-torso daughter. Yesterday, we found a pack that fits her well: up.gif Coleman for Kids Daypack Looks solidly constructed. Has most of the features of an internal frame backpack: mesh covered back pad, contoured padded shoulder straps, sternum strap, top cover pocket and large mesh back pocket. Does not have a padded hip belt, but it has a substantial waist strap that should transfer load to the lumbar area. Holds 2050 cubic inches. Coleman says 1.2 pounds; my scale says 1.0 pounds!!! Currently $14 in Sports Authority clearance bins!!!!! I'll report back how it works in the field.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 3:05 am 
My seven year old daughter uses a short MEC Spirit 40. MEC Spirit 40 It has been just a little long for her last year and this year but she's a tall kid and it will be perfect next year.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 2:00 am 
HB, The MEC Spirit 40 would be too big for my daughter. She has a 12 inch torso and their minimum fit is 16 inches. Their 2200 cubic inches is good for kid packs. Their 4 pound pack weight is high relative to the typical loads carried. I bought Coleman packs for both my kids. Here's the field report. It's all good news: The last two weekends, we did backpacking trips of 16 miles and 15 miles, with a lot of elevation gain and loss. My son and daughter, both seven years old, carried nine pound loads, including the one pound packs. I heard zero complaints about the packs or the loads. I thought the thin waist belts might be uncomfortable, but no one complained. My son said he could take more load if necessary. I suspect the packs, like most packs, aren't waterproof. I lined them with heavy-duty plastic garbage bags.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 3:01 am 
I wish I could have found some better fitting packs like the Colemans you mentioned but there seems to be a lack of good backpacks for young kids up here. I'm really impressed with the distances you're doing with your kids! I can't go for more than 5 miles with mine. We're heading off for our third family backpacking trip of the year near the end of the month. Here's a couple of pics of our family all geared up for the trail and on the trail.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 1:13 pm 
HB, Nice pics. Everyone looks like they're really into it. How old is your little guy?

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 2:01 pm 
He's four. He went on his first backpacking trip last year, Cape Alava for two days.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 9:57 pm 
HB, We were just out with a family with an eight-year-old daughter and a four-year-old son. The four kids had an incredibly good time together. We may be up your way in September. We love the Watson/Anderson area and will likely do a Saturday/Sunday trip there when the bugs freeze out. One particular slope up there has the biggest, tastiest alpine blueberries we've ever encountered. We've also been eyeing Dock Butte for an easy dayhike.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 7:50 am 
Cool, I noticed that many of the blue berries were a little late last week. They were still green. Judging by some scat I examined on the trail, the bears had found some fresh ones though. This weekend I was supposed to go up to either Garibaldi Elfin Lakes or Singing Pass but my hiking partners bailed. There's supposed to be a big adventure race up there this weekend anyways so I have decided to postpone my trip and take my family through a corn maze instead.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 8:18 am 
Thanks for reminding me, HB. I need to check the dates for the corn maze in Mount Vernon, WA. We try to work that one into a hiking trip each year.