Forum Index > Trail Talk > Average speed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 3:01 pm 
Thirtysomething - regular hikers 30 minutes per mile on a good trail with average elevation change (500-750ft/mile) 20 minute miles on mostly flat terrain.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 3:11 pm 
Two MPH plus one hour per 1000' of elevation gain has worked well for trip planning on trails where reasonably accurate figures for both are available. .... Oh. Sixty year old ATM (all terrain man) - but average time only applies on regular trails. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
DuckDuckGoose
Cruelly Bouyant

DuckDuckGoose
Cruelly Bouyant
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 4:09 pm 
K's not M's!
biggrin.gif If you feel blue using the Imperial Measurements, boost your morale using metric! This way a 2 mph rate turns to a blistering 3.2 kph! A 10 mike hike becomes a 16 kilometer monster! Woo Hoo! You can impress everyone with your "Continental" Flair at the water cooler on Monday! Conversely, you encourage the uninitiated with the statement that "It's only a 400 Meter climb!" wink.gif instead of the terrifyingly intimidating 1312 feet!!! paranoid.gif Works for Wacky- Canadians and other Fuzzy Foreigners who play Soccer!!! ( GO Manchester United!!) DuckDuckGOOSE!!!!

Why are people always trying to stop themselves from doing what they really want to do?
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 4:16 pm 
I think I'm about the same as David and Karen. (In addition, I'm also a thirty-something regular hiker.)

DiggerBoy

DiggerBoy
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 4:24 pm 
Why I'm a 30-something also...recently closer to 40, and reflect Scrooge's assessment of 2 MPH (3.2 KPH--thanks Sir Goose) of a "regular" trail. Of course, my speed varies depending on my pack weight and familiarity with the environment. Above all, I reserve the right to stop and experience the wilderness/views/rocks!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 6:43 pm 
All depends on the trail. I can do a flat mile in 10-12 minutes, but I think 2-3 mph is about right when doing hilly stuff, though it really seems to depend for me. I get winded real easily on some trails, and some I can breeze up. I'm only 21 and I already feel old... *pulls out cain, hobbles over to hoveround to go down the hall and use the walk-in bath tub* rolleyes.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 7:20 pm 
Let's see, 54 yo, hmmmm. that's not quite 1 mph. But what I do is.... stop a lot to view the scenery and take a lot of pictures. That way no one suspects that I'm winded and need a rest. The last thing I want to do is be in a hurry. I do that all week long. Found out that life is too short to not stop and smell the roses or see the views. So let's round it up to a 60 min. mile. NN wink.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 10:25 pm 
Since I hike mostly for the photos, I'm pretty slow. The slowest I ever remember was around .25 mph. huh.gif Getting to the photos is a bit faster, but not much -- maybe 1 to 1.5 mph. I'm slow and rather out of shape. Needless to say, I have a hard time finding hiking partners. dizzy.gif

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 1:40 am 
That's my style too, MC. Looking for pictures and taking time to enjoy the scenery. I'm kinda lika a combination of Gumby and Pokey. huh.gif Pokey on the way in and Gumby on the way out. biggrin.gif Distance and elevation improving, but not sure about figuring average speed at this time. rolleyes.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 8:57 am 
The last trip I took I figured on around 2.5+ mph. Hard to be exact. I dont carry much weight and LOVE to cover ground. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 10:10 am 
Bushwacker, glad I'm not the only one. smile.gif The reason I know the .25 mph hike is that it was so slow that even I noticed. It was the on the Hummocks Trail at Mount St Helens NVM on a crisp clear February afternoon. Excellent views of the mountain, crisp blue sky. It's a 2 mile loop I believe and it took me all day. Came out to around .25 mph. That's slow even for me!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 12:08 pm 
It's a wonder those of us with the 20 lb of camera gear have never gotten together to hike some 1/2 mile trail for a few hours... biggrin.gif

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 12:13 pm 
That's a great idea. Count me in when it comes up. BW cool.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Quark

Quark
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 12:33 pm 
My record was 6 mph while running through the Wildhorse trail outta the Chiwaukum area. Black flies were horrendous. It was hot as hell. I was thirsty, but couldn't take time to stop. Dangerous, I know- but god the bugs were bad. Was never so glad to see a trailhead in my life. I smelled bad, but the stink never caught up with me, I was going so fast. If someone were chasing me with a gun, though, I'd probably run faster. If it were a .35 Smith & Wesson with a brushed finish on the barrel and a burled wood handle, I'd maybe slow down 'cause that'd be a pretty gun to look at. Regularly, I'd say 2 mph is about right for the Average Joe. rubberlegs goes about 22.6 mph, but he ain't average. He ain't even Joe. He's rubberlegs. He needs no last name.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 1:30 pm 
Around 2-2.5 going up, and 3-3.5 going down. That's on trail, for off trail it varies but I'm going to say cut that in half maybe.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods