Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > A Strike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RainierRidgeRunner

RainierRidgeRunner
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 10:33 pm 
I heard on the news that Boeing workers were probably going to strike. eek.gif I don't know how many of you that will affect, but my hopes and prayers are with a quick resolution. smile.gif I guess in the worst outcome is that some of you will have lots of time to hike. cool.gif Tina

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 3:40 am 
Put up a good strong showing, brothers and sisters, and hopefully your bargaining team will have the might to go in there and kick some major butt! Good luck, and I hope it doesn't last too long. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 6:35 am 
Boeing and all the stock analysts want there to be a strike to save the company money. Deliveries are down and few orders are coming in. The company has the upper hand this time for the machinists. Boeing has been outsourcing work as much as it can. Heck, they are even having Russian engineers coming in next month to learn how to take my job back to Moscow! Benefits cost money which lowers the stock price and Boeing makes business decisions based on what will make the stock price increase. There is no possibility of the company giving any kind of guarantee of employment levels now that McDonnell-Douglas is running the company (and that's no exaggeration). I mean, MDC was such a successful company huh.gif of course they should duplicate it for Boeing. mad.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 6:43 am 
Best of luck, I hope it's a short stoppage. But I'm sure we'll see Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter and Sammy Sosa right beside you out there on the picket lines! lol.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
DSotM

DSotM
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:35 am 
I wish I had a job to strike from.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:39 am 
Steve, you are correct on all but one point. The company does not want a strike. When planes aren't delivered, the company cash register does not ring. Further, if the company wanted a strike why would they offer an 8% bonus, 4.5% wage increase, COLA, 20% retirement increase?

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:49 am 
I run a division of a company that does sub-contract work for Boeing. Things are already slow. Just what I need in my life...more stress. BW paranoid.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 11:52 am 
Look I have all the sympathy in the world for people who have families to support and bills to pay. That said, anyone who strikes within this economy is a JACKASS! Be realistic would you. Unemployment is higher than it's been in a very long time. They offered 4% over two years. I'm NOT getting that where I work! If they vote to strike there FOOLS! They should not expect sympathy from the public either. This is NOT the time to be tough! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed Aug 28, 2002 1:35 pm 
BPJ, I completely agree with you. up.gif

elkendo

elkendo
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 4:46 pm 
A strike
Just a couple of thoughts on the POSSIBILITY of a strike at the Beoing Company. 1) First of all, I am a machinist union member. This means I am part of a collective bargaining unit and go along with the majority when it comes to acceptting or rejecting the contract. If I don't like that situation I can always work someplace else and negotiate my own salary and benefit package. Depending on my worth to the company I may be able to negotiate a better deal then what I could receive as part of a union. I don't want to strike but if that is what the vote calls for, I will not be reporting to work on Tuesday. 2) Concerning the question of wether the company wants a strike or not. The machinist union offered to work without a contract until a compromise could be agreed upon. The company was not interested in that proposition at all. Take that for what it is worth. 3) In regards to the wage increase. The union has offered to go with no increase in wages, but use that money to increase the retirement percentage. The bonus was not asked for but is a carrot that the company is hanging out there to get approval for this offer. 4) There are many contract changes that are never mentioned in the media that may be deal breakers but I guess we won't know for sure until Thursday night. If anyone is really interested in what the actual proposal is all about, they can visit http://www.iam751.org although I am sure that this is all very boring to 99% of the people who visit this forum. Finally, if the union decides to go on strike. I will be one of the JACKASSES out there on the picket line. cool.gif Sorry about being so wordy about such a boring subject. Have a great day smile.gif Ken

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 6:15 am 
Quote:
Further, if the company wanted a strike why would they offer an 8% bonus, 4.5% wage increase, COLA, 20% retirement increase?
Pappy, this is what the company wants to know. It's what they are not telling you that is causing the strike mentality. Insurance premiums with go to $200/month with high deductibles that will far more than offset any pay increases that are proposed. Also, we know that the airlines are hemorraging money but Boeing continues to haev double digit profit margins so it's not a question of not being able to afford it. Next point is the outsourcing. This is a major sticking point that of course the company won't agree to but everyone can understand. Would you want your company to send your job to China (this IS being done) so the company can increase it's stock price? Don't let the statement, "We're doing this to increase sales in that region" mislead you because it hasn't happened. Despite the fact that we've sent work to South Africa, Russia, China, Spain, etc we've yet to see plane sales because of it. They bottom line is they do it to increase the stock price because that's the way they did it at McDonnell-Douglas and the board of directors is stacked with them. I don't know if you've read the reports from the Wall Street stock analysts, but they have actually said that they want the machinists to go on strike so that it will save the company money. The unions work hard to hammer out a fair contract but we get the same thing every time. A contract from Boeing that is not a result of working together but a mandate from the company saying, "take it or leave it" and it always has meager pay increases and usually has take aways in the health coverage. That said I personally don't think that economically it's to the advantage to the IAM strike because the company can weather it.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 7:25 am 
I can see the machinists being upset over the Boeing's proposal to increase the % of health insurance premiums workers pay. It's a big increase going from $20 to $196 per month for a family...but who was the management buffoon who negotiated the $20/month fee in the first place?! Holy chit, what a bargain. Actually, $196/month is a little less than what I pay for my family's plan and it doesn't appear to be an unreasonable amount for someone earning what the average machinist makes. It would make it easier to swallow if they phased it in over a few years.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?

PostThu Aug 29, 2002 8:42 am 
Steve, you sound like a Union Steward? Premiums only go up if you are in the Traditional Health Plan. Recent estimates are that only half still are in that one. There is no increase if you are in the Managed care plan of Selections. I've had excellent coverage from Selections. The lists of doctors, hospotals and clinics is very inpressive if you take the time to check it out. Again, no cost increase for me. So I should strike because you choose and expensive health care plan? Regarding out-sourcing of jobs. It is absolutely true that Boeing has been working towards a goal of being and assembly only type of operation. It is happening and will continue. All you can do with a stike is slow it down. Boeing has been winning that battle slowly for years and will continue to. Is it worth up to 6 months wages to delay the out-sourcing? And some of the "stock analystst" also mentioned how the engineers strike "shut the company down". Not one airplane delivery was missed during that strike. Doesn't do much for the "analysts" credibility does it? Airlines have asked for deferred delivery of planes on order and yet there are still airplanes scheduled for delivery now and for at least the next two years. The Stopping production does not make Boeing money.

-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 9:13 am 

Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 11:52 am 
Quote:
And some of the "stock analystst" also mentioned how the engineers strike "shut the company down". Not one airplane delivery was missed during that strike. Doesn't do much for the "analysts" credibility does it?
Huh? I was in Boeing management at the time dealing with the airlines and we missed almost EVERY delivery!!