Forum Index > Trail Talk > Friday Night/Saturday--Sunday/Monday (Weekend of 24th)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 9:39 am 
BPJ cancelled on me (don't flame him he had a really good reason). We were going to try to hit Chickamin, Iceberg and Overcoat, but snow may have been an issue anyways. I'm still game, but I'm also flexible as to destination. Anyone getting out this weekend? Anyone with a 4x4 interested in poking around the end of the Middle Fork? Hardscrabble Lakes? Gold Lake? Big Snow Mountain? Crawford Lake?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 9:47 am 
Yep Dante, there was plenty of snow on Iceberg Lake last week (at least the portion I could see with binoculars from Kaleetan Peak) so you might want to consider an alternate destination.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 10:38 am 
Tom, How much snow was at iceburg Lake? was considering a day hike to there. i am interested in the snow on the trail. If you could give me any info on that? Ice Girl wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 pm 
Ice Girl, not sure we are talking about the same Iceberg Lake. The one I am referring to is a 2+ day hike via the Mineral Creek Trail to Park Lakes, Glacier Lake, Chikamin Lake and then a somewhat dicey cross country traverse to Iceberg Lake. There may be a shorter/easier route but it's not likely to be a day hike either.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 12:53 pm 
Here's the Iceberg Lake I'm talking about http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5262026&e=627701&s=25&size=m We were thinking about traversing around to Overcoat, too. Given the snow conditions I think that would be "mountaineering" though and I'm only a backpacker wink.gif You can get to Overcoat lake from the Middle Fork--it's in the Cascade Alpine Guide as an approach to Overcoat. It also looks like you could hump up and over the saddle north of the lake from the MFK, but not a round trip in a day. You can also go in the PCT, but I'm pretty sure Mineral Creek is the least time-consuming approach.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 1:15 pm 
I'm going to French Potholes off Paddy go easy fri-sunday, Dante you're welcome to come along if you'd like! Friday nite will do the climb, sat to the potholes, sunday fool around maybe on the peaks, then down and out sun. anyone else?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 2:18 pm 
I hear there's gonna be a big party at Pea Soup Lake this weekend. I think I'll head that way! biggrin.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 5:07 pm 
I was just on Sawyer Mtn today looking at the Overcoat Glacier. Yes, there is a lot of snow still up there. Having been up there in late spring I can assure you the angle of the snow is low between Chimney Rock and Overcoat.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 10:40 pm 
Thanks for the responses
smile.gif Thanks for the responses. It looks like I've got something cookin'