polarbear
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 9:33 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 10:43 am 
I am all for fire management in National Forests, but unfortunately "thinning" in the past has meant clear-cutting, which I oppose. If there's a way to reverse the well-intentioned but misguided fire suppression tactics of the last century, while protecting the health and beauty of the forest -- particuarly the old growth trees -- then I am all for it. I must admit though that I am skeptical of any forest initiative the timber companies like, considering the track record and reputation of the industry.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 10:49 am 
thin them out, allow selective cutting of a percentage of trees to sweeten the pot for contractors. Modern selective cuts are less damaging than in past decades, trees reseed with natives quickly in selective cut areas. If the fuel load is not reduced, the trees *will* burn, and lots of 'em. Does one prefer a huge fire killing zillions of trees, or no fire and the loss of a few to a logging outfit?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 11:12 am 
There have been fires every summer for as long as I can remember, this year is worse than usual due to dry conditions on the east side of the southern cascades (global warming?) Considering the reputation of the current administration I have little doubt that the intent of the current proposal is resume logging in currently protected areas. The administration has refused to defend the rules generated after extensive review because that offends their contributors. This is also the reason tariffs were imposed against Canadian timber in violation of NAFTA.The proposal reduces to the vanishing point present environmental safeguards. Logging companies are not particularly adept in removing brush and surface material, their business is producing timber. The only way to remove such material is by use of controled burns. The primary problem is buildup in on the dryer east side where there are relatively few environmental restrictions. There is currently as much or more fire hazard generated by logging as naturally occurring processes. Most fires start and grow in recently logged areas. In recent years there has even been many fires started by out of work loggers or firefighters. The result of the proposal will be increased logging in the west where there are many more protections. On the east side the decline in logging is much more due to reduction of timber prices than environmental restrictions.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 11:18 am 
"The only way to remove such material is by use of controled burns. The primary problem is buildup in on the dryer east side where there are relatively few environmental restrictions. There is currently as much or more fire hazard generated by logging as naturally occurring processes." So we can't use controlled burns because of the fuel load, we can't log because of it's fire hazard, what's left?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 11:29 am 
I suppose you could put unemployed people to work on it but that would cost $$. The problem tends to be self correcting and thats what we are seeing. The poicy of putting out fires was established to perserve timber not to prevent fire. In places where the hazard occurs logging is already legal. Cutting old growth will not pevent fires as there is much less fuel there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 11:47 am 
"I suppose you could put unemployed people to work on it but that would cost $$." To work, logging and clearing? Didn't you say this kind of activity increases fire hazards? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm confused how who does the same work changes a fire hazard. "The problem tends to be self correcting and thats what we are seeing. " One could make a case for that, is the damage caused by fires with unnatural fuel loads an acceptable "self correction", in your eyes? "Cutting old growth will not pevent fires as there is much less fuel there." Does the plan put forth allow cutting old growth? I believe your point on this is entirely valid, but I'm less certain what is actually in the proposal. thanks for your time!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 12:17 pm 
I am at home with a root canal coming up. ""I suppose you could put unemployed people to work on it but that would cost $$. "" ”To work, logging and clearing? Didn't you say this kind of activity increases fire hazards? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm confused how who does the same work changes a fire hazard. “ Not the same work. It depends on the particular area. I believe there are proposals to remove fuel that are in built up areas by clearing. It off course would depend what type of timber marketable or not is in the area. If there are firebreaks in the area you can have controlled burns. They would have to be cut if they are not there. Just logging does not remove the most dangerous fuel. Usually Ponderosa Pine, which is in these areas can withstand fires unless it gets into the crowns. The problem tends to be self correcting and thats what we are seeing. ”One could make a case for that, is the damage caused by fires with unnatural fuel loads an acceptable "self correction", in your eyes? “ It is not necessary acceptable but we have little choice what is is. It will take years to do as much in a controlled manner. In Yellowstone the forests have regenerated quite quickly. Cutting old growth will not pevent fires as there is much less fuel there. ”Does the plan put forth allow cutting old growth? I believe your point on this is entirely valid, but I'm less certain what is actually in the proposal.” I do not believe there has been any detailed plan put forth. There is nothing to prevent removing fuel in 2nd or 3rd growth areas under current regulations. The reason for my comments is because this seems to be another stated reason for removing protection in roadless and old growth areas because that is the only place where logging is currently prohibited. thanks for your time! Thank You!! BTW I do not have a problem with logging in general especially on replanted areas. What I am against is using current concerns (Fires, Terrorism, Energy Shortages, etc. ) as a reason for a raid on irreplaceable public property. BTW here is an artice which expesses these thoughts in an organized manner. http://slate.msn.com/?id=2070027

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 2:24 pm 
Malachai, Has your pain medication kicked in for the root canal already? You are all over the road and I don't think I follow you, so I'll make my own points. What little news coverage of the Bush plan I have seen has been dominated by environmental groups decrying the lack of public input into the plan. They also call for fuel reduction along the rural-forestland interface first. The latter is a "red herring"(along with alarm over potential logging of "old-growth") as they claim public safety should come first. The former points to their real agenda of tying up any plans to log on public land through continuous studies, hearings and litigation. The 1994 Clinton-Northwest Forest Plan (1 billion board feet production annually) was a significant reduction in timber harvest levels from the national forests which had historically produced 6.1 billion annually in the 80's and 4.6 billion in the 90's. Washington State now contributes less than 10% of the volume mandated under the Clinton Plan. 44% of the total forestland in the state is under federal management yet it accounts for only 2% of the timber harvested in this state. Only 15% of the federal forestland in the state is even considered for commercial timber production. I have one basic question for these NIMBYs and "environmentalists". How are you going to pay for the forest protection, recreation etc. that you feel we should manage the public forests for? How big of a check are you willing to cut? Because according to you - money shouldn't grow on trees.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 2:54 pm 
I hate to bring this up in the middle of a debate biggrin.gif but it's real easy to "quote" someone while still making it easy for the rest of us to figure out who said what. First, copy and paste the text you want to quote into your post (as you have done). However, instead of putting quotes around the quoted text, please differentiate it by either:
Quote:
1) highlighting the text with your cursor and then hitting the bbcode quote button (which will put the quote in a quote box like this)
OR 2) highlighting the text with your cursor and then clicking on the bbcode "font colour" drop down box which will change the color of the text like this. If you're saddled with a browser like netscape or mozilla you probably won't be able to use the cursor highlighting features tongue.gif but it's still pretty easy to cut and paste the appropriate bbcode which will be appended to the end of the post if you hit the bbcode buttons.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 4:31 pm 
Timber Cruiser, Root Canal acomplished no drugs, yet! I do not really see your point, At the present time there is a glut of timber as evidenced by falling prices and imposition of tariffs on Canadian wood. There are few if any mills capable of handeling old growth in the northwest so any such timber cut would have to be exported. I would say that enviormental regulations are the real "Red Herring" the decline in the industry is more due to economic realities thean them. The Timber Co.s would rather use pine from the Southeast where it can be havested more easily and cheaply(nonunion labor). The Old growth Timber Idustry is dead in the NW and we might as well face up to it.As I said, I do not have a problem with logging on later growth land.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 5:18 pm 
Leave the GD trees alone. Thinning could be possible clearcut. All thinning means in regards to fire is a somewhat smaller fire. Forest fires are natural AND need to happen. Let nature have its way. My opinion is just an excuse to log. Please don't take that as a jab at the loggers. NN down.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 5:49 pm 
Who are we as a species to decide that we know what is best for the trees anyway? Before we were around, "managing" our forests, there were destructive fires. Always have been, always will be. It's just part of the natural cycle. Why can't it just be left at that? I can certainly understand controlled burning to protect homes, business, whatever may be threatened by advancing wildfires. However, controlled burning and logging out forests to prevent forest fires (which pose no threat other than to the forest itself), which clear out forests naturally I might add, is a totally ludicrous idea that only a species as self-centered and egotistical as we could create.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 8:49 am 
Cutting old growth? "Never"

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 1:09 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Timber Cruiser, Root Canal acomplished no drugs, yet! I do not really see your point, At the present time there is a glut of timber as evidenced by falling prices and imposition of tariffs on Canadian wood. There are few if any mills capable of handeling old growth in the northwest so any such timber cut would have to be exported. I would say that enviormental regulations are the real "Red Herring" the decline in the industry is more due to economic realities thean them. The Timber Co.s would rather use pine from the Southeast where it can be havested more easily and cheaply(nonunion labor). The Old growth Timber Idustry is dead in the NW and we might as well face up to it.As I said, I do not have a problem with logging on later growth land.
I guess my main point was that we are in the situation today where logging on public lands has become politically incorrect. Protection of "old growth" is used as an excuse to stop any level of logging even when we have already setaside 85% of federally managed land in the state. There has been an active timber sale program on federal forests for many years resulting in many acres of second growth forests. Why are these off the table for consideration of harvest? We are not operating at even 40% of the Clinton Plan for timber production. The consumer(read-you) demands wood products not logging companies. If they are not available or cheap enough the consumer will look to substitue products whether they be from a different region or different raw material. Wood is not only renewable but also requires less energy to produce such products. As far as wood coming from other regions, we are in the Canadian market more than the south eastern U.S. (pine). These are the best of any choice for substitution of product on an environmental basis but they still don't match Washington State's forest practices for sustainability and protection of the environment. Clearcut sizes in Canada can be as much as 1,000 acres compared to our 120 or 240 max. In the S.E. many forest practices are performed in what we would consider wetlands. Offshore suppliers such as China and Viet Nam are growing in volume of wood products shipped to the U.S. I guarantee that you would not want to shift wood production to supply our demand to these countries with the environmental and labor practices they utilize. What does "old growth" mean to you? Is it size? Species? Age? Pre-european (150 years)? The timber industry has re-tooled and there are very few outlets for the large(36"+ diameter) logs. Subsitute products such as laminated lumber and chip board has replaced the need for fine-grained, large logs. Since there is no premium or capacticy to mill such logs domestically it is ridiculous to keep using the alarm that loggers are only interested in cutting big trees under proposals like the fire hazard reduction plan. I feel like I am drifting so will climb off my soapbox in a minute. I work for a company that has no interest in state or federal timber. In fact, the reduced supply of such timber only tensions the market and we get a higher price for the timber we produce. I have other concerns though like public lands being somewhat self supporting to provide the other goods and services taxpayers demand. People balk at paying the $35 access fee. That is a drop in the bucket compared to all the money it takes to manage these lands. Too bad we don't pay those costs directly from our pockets instead of filtered through the current myriad of bureaucracy we live under. It might cause local people to become more interested in the management of those lands and budget such costs whether it be fire control or recreaction opportunities in their best interests.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."