Forum Index > Trail Talk > Advisory, Old Growth Content
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 3:10 pm 
This fire management thing has me confused. Really confused. How often are there fires in strictly Wilderness Areas? I really don't know across the U.S. Here's my two cents. From what I have seen in Washington State fires rarely happen in Wilderness Areas. And guess what? Those areas have NEVER been logged. The only places where forest fires are is where there has been previous logging--either two years or 50 years. If I follow that logic, then forest fires would never happen if we never logged an area. Am I wrong?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 5:18 pm 
Stefan wrote:
This fire management thing has me confused. Really confused. How often are there fires in strictly Wilderness Areas? I really don't know across the U.S. Here's my two cents. From what I have seen in Washington State fires rarely happen in Wilderness Areas. And guess what? Those areas have NEVER been logged. The only places where forest fires are is where there has been previous logging--either two years or 50 years. If I follow that logic, then forest fires would never happen if we never logged an area. Am I wrong?
Wrong. There is ample evidence that fire had been a factor in shaping North American forests long before the advent of white man. Fire tends to follow weather cycles, with great conflagrations in drought periods in conjunction with heavy fuel loads. In 'Wilderness" areas large fires may have occured only at intervals often spanning several human generations so their effects are hard to see. In recent history the major fires have occurred under the same cyclic weather condidtions combined with heavy fuel conditions (slash from logging or land clearing), and poor logging or burning practices. Lightning hasn't been a major factor in large fires in our time, but with fuel build ups in wilderness areas from the dense growth and slowly decaying dead material, it's only a matter of time.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 5:37 pm 
if stefan's points are the source for others's contention that logging increases fire danger made near the beginning of this thread, I'm going to rethink my semi retirement from this thread. So little land is actually wilderness that the contention that it doesn't burn is meaningless, and wrong besides. I've hiked through *many* areas with previous evidence of fires in Wildnerness. Swallow lakes show evidence of an old burn near upper Swallow. White pine creek. Lake Clarice. Portions of the Sawtooth ridge near chelan. This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with a few more. It's nice to see T cruiser pointing out some of the realities of the complexities of the timber market. Environmental groups get so, so much mileage from pushing the image of the rapacious logging companies, an image partly based in decades old practices no longer allowed anywhere in the US, partly fabrication of an image of evil rapists of the earth salivating over the last big logs. These images get trotted out as a reason to oppose any bill which may allow some cutting. It's great to see some facts from someone *in* the industry!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 7:06 pm 
The real point is that fuel removal can be done under existing law. There is no need to change the law. The obstensible reason for the inclusion of expansion of cutting is to "pay for" the supression. IMHO the real reason is to try and pick up a few votes is timber communities and some contributions. The real reason for the depression in those communities is economic conditions. This is shown by TC's citation that harvests are only 40% of currently allowed levels. It is simply cheaper to produce overseas particularly Canada and in the SE. In answer to what is the definition of "Old Growth" I would say pre european. The aplpine areas that are old still have quites small trees. There were fires in those times especially at lower elevations usually caused by natives clearing land in a local variant of slash and burn. Most of the remaining low elevation old groath is protected but there are exceptions such as the Beaver drainages by Ross Lake. The whole problem is very complex and what is true in one area is not true in another. Unfortunatly, the logging companies have earned their reputation. The tradiditionl slogan was cut, burn, and head noth for many , many years. For all of my lifetime we were told they were "good stwards" or "The tree growing company" yada yada yada. If so they should not be demanding any more. The USFS has for many years spent more in facilitating sales than is recieved in revenues. In summary, I see no reason to allow "some more cutting" when there is no demand for the timber and what is currently allowed is not even cut.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 7:58 pm 
This issue gets VERY touchy. I am not a big logging proponent. That said, there LITERALLY isnt one of us that doesnt use TOILET paper daily, or who doesnt LIVE in a home built of WOOD! That said, I dont agree to the FS instituting these STUPID park passes and CRYING about always being short on funds while they PAY for road building for logging companies! The practices the FS continue to persue BEGS irresponcibility. I hate to say it, and lord help us we arent as good as HE in the creation of, but forests/trees R renuable! There isnt a single hiking loving one of us that hasnt benefited from all the bloody logging roads we use to access our lakes! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RainierRidgeRunner

RainierRidgeRunner
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 2:02 am 
I agree with BP Joe. I do appreciate what they produce from the timber. agree.gif I just don't think it is very attractive to the scenery when you see all the clearings. shakehead.gif I don't believe in forest passes either. If its federal land then federal tax dollars should be used to manage it. I think thats what Teddy Roosevelt would have wanted. cool.gif If you commit a crime there, is it a federal offense? confused.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 4:40 am 
If our timber harvests are only 40% of what is allowed then I'm thinking that our timber doesn't have the value and profit for US timber companies to harvest. If this is so, then trees are not the asset that they once were. Now with our fine presidents plan for thining due to fire control, they are a liability. What I see happening is the FS, US governmemt and the taxpayers will pay to have the roads put in and the timber removed as a SERVICE to the people of the USA. Most likely the FS will not make any money on this deal. What makes him think someone will do the thinning if they won't even cut what they now can? IMO it's just a business and political move. Yup, we will pay to have this service done. NN down.gif moon.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 6:51 am 
Note: There is an excellent editorial on this by Pal Krugman on the New York Times site. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/27/opinion/27KRUG.html You may need to register there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 9:58 am 
Some good information in that article, even if it is a bit heavy on the anti-Bush rhetoric (it's an op/ed, i know). I'm certainly no Bush fan, and in fact I very much agree with the last sentence, but I prefer a little more objectivity in my op/ed. wink.gif Richard Reeves is a good example.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 10:44 am 
What bothers me the most is the thought of cutting trees for PAPER! If we are going to clear our forests I'd like it to be for bloody WOOD! Building materials! Now I am a conservative first and foremost, so this may seem a little off key, but acre for acre HEMP makes 1.7 times the paper as timber! Why the hell arent we farming that stuff for our paper needs? The Declaration Of Independance was printed on hemp! It would give farmers something to do too! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 10:55 am 
Amen, BPJ. Hemp is a very under-utilized agricultural product in this country, thanks to the marijuana stigma and lobbying from other products. Improved post-consumer paper recycling efforts would also help reduce the amount of wood harvesting needed for paper. Most low grade consumer paper products (toilet paper, paper napkins, etc) are mostly from post-consumer sources, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 6:11 pm 
Quote:
If our timber harvests are only 40% of what is allowed then I'm thinking that our timber doesn't have the value and profit for US timber companies to harvest. If this is so, then trees are not the asset that they once were.
The low level of harvest against the Clinton Plan isn't due to the desirability of the timber so much as the cattle-chute timber sales have to go through due to the constant studies, protests and re-engineering.
Quote:
IMHO the real reason is to try and pick up a few votes is timber communities and some contributions. The real reason for the depression in those communities is economic conditions. This is shown by TC's citation that harvests are only 40% of currently allowed levels.
Nobody is going to spend much political capital in this state outside of the tri-county crescent of population concentration in the Puget Sound. And those aren't the timber communities! The timber communities are a legacy of past social engineering by the governement. Forest Service working circles were set up to provide timber to local mills and foster development of those communities. Starting with the Spotted Owl in the late 80's, the plug was pulled on that supply of timber and the communities have dried up unless they are within commuting distance of the Microsofts and Boeings of the region.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 6:39 pm 
Quote:
Nobody is going to spend much political capital in this state outside of the tri-county crescent of population concentration in the Puget Sound.
That may well be the reason the speech was presented in Southern OR and Bush has not visited WA. The votes sought are in OR and ID not WA.
Quote:
The low level of harvest against the Clinton Plan isn't due to the desirability of the timber so much as the cattle-chute timber sales have to go through due to the constant studies, protests and re-engineering.
That may or may not be the case, what is clear is that the price would have been even lower if the harvest were large. I respectfully submit that the reason more was not harvested is because the price would have been so low as to be unprofitable. Much of the paper is made from scrap and trees such as poplar which can be harvested in as little as 7 years and are not grown in areas where many hike.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 6:58 pm 
So Bush's plan will make it easier and more economical to harvest timber by lessening the hoops and red tape? Sorry, but I still see this as a service. Please don't get me wrong here. I feel for the loggers and the industry. But like the fishing industry, both were poorly managed with the thought of big $ and an unlimited supply. Americans have a tendency to be money grubbing scum that consume mass amounts without realizing the consequences. Regardless, Thinning won't really help the fire situation. Who's gonna cleanup the scraps left all over? Having a crew remove these fire hazards would be labor intense and expensive. You still have the hazard one way or another. It's political and special interest orientated. It's bogus IMO. sh##, if sombody wants to do something to save something. non-renewable, lets start saving farmland and the lifestyle that goes with it. I remember when South Center had no businesses. All farmland. THAT'S something that isn't coming back. It's also a big threat to America. Let nature have its way. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 8:36 pm 
If we just planted more sequoias we would have less forest fires smile.gif http://bss.sfsu.edu/geog/bholzman/courses/Fall00Projects/Sequoia.html