Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
loofus
carpet bagger

loofus
carpet bagger
PostWed Mar 09, 2005 10:51 pm 
Jamin Smitchger wrote:
Fourthly, there will always be dumb people who push themselves beyond their limits and end up recieving a Darwin Award. This will occur even when safeguards are in place. For instance, a person who climbs over the rail at Wallace Falls and ends up "falling". smile.gif
Exactly. A family sued the National Park(ing lot) Service when their kid ran off a boardwalk into Crested Pool in Yellowstone. They lobbied to have every hot spring in the park enclosed with a protective barrier to ensure the complete safety of (naive) visitors (aka: tourons). Fortunately, they lost the lawsuit. The court agreed that such preventative measures were in direct contradiction to the fundamental ideas and core principles of wilderness and that such unnatural barriers would unreasonably detract from the scenic quality of the park. If you want sanitized fun, go to Disneyland. Wilderness should be left wild. I like the fact that when I visit wilderness areas I do so on its terms and that danger and risk are inheirent.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 09, 2005 11:54 pm 
Jamin Smitchger wrote:
For instance, a person who climbs over the rail at Wallace Falls and ends up "falling". smile.gif
If the guy's name was Wallace, that might just be a fitting end... doh.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 9:48 am 
You know, last time I was at Wallace, I saw the place from where the woman fell. I had always wondered how it was scientifically possible that anyone could jump the fence, as the press said (if we're talking about the same incident), and fill her water bottle up at the Falls and have an intact body to find later on. The fences are on the cliff. Jumping the fence to get to the falls would entail rapelling down, approaching a thundering cascade of water with the force of Niagara, and holding her water bottle out to fill it. If the force of the water didn't suck her in first, the force of the water would rip her arm off. Now, I'm all for cartoon physics, but in the end, reality truly rules. Turns out, she didn't fill her bottle up at the Falls as the news said. She was above the Falls where there is no fence to hop over, and there's a slick tippy rock that acts as a dam, and a nice pool of calm water surrounds it. But you have to step onto the rock to dip the drink. If she intended to dip her bottle there, she would have slipped off the rock and into the drink, not far from the head of the falls. So it turns out she wasn't the victim of herself afterall. Poor memory perhaps (forgot there's a huge waterfall a few hundred feet downstream), but not stupidity.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 10:01 am 
Quark wrote:
So it turns out she wasn't the victim of herself afterall.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 9:43 pm 
Sigh..... All right, I admit it, Kleet-o. I don't get it. I'm not into whatever that picture is of.* I assume it's some sort of idiot-box thing. I recognize whosis in the back. But can't you think of sumpin' else that's funny? Something I get? *I'm so distracted I ended a sentence with a prepositional preposition.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 9:55 pm 
You don't watch CSI?!!!! Your boyfriend always has the tube on, and it's never tuned to CSI on Thursday nights? You are missing (IMO) the only show worth watching on network television.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 10:22 pm 
You, little goat lady, have obviously not watched The Apprentice, because if you had, you would see the error of your ways. banana.gif [/thread drift]

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 10:58 pm 
Don't forget about "Lost" and "Alias" on Wednesday nights! cool.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Mar 10, 2005 11:15 pm 
CSI is a pale shadow of Law & Order. RIP Detective Briscoe.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 1:29 am 
Why do the "negatives" keep talking about rules, when there was no rule that you had to use the cable? And why do they keep implying that doing anything at all means everything must be done, when that is not the case. Some things can be done, and others not done. And why do they insist that the cable was there for protection puposes? Maybe it was there just to facilitate access, making it exactly like a bridge, an example used by a "negative". I don't believe cables should be everywhere, but why does that mean they have to be nowhere? Why can't there be a cable in a few places, and that's all? Why fight human nature? If people are going up those rocks, and some are falling, or some are refusing to go because they don't think it's safe without a cable, and a cable would help, then why not have a cable there, in that one spot? It's not the same as taking something normally safe like a boardwalk and making it idiot proof, like in the Yellowstone example. It is simply allowing safe access to someplace that is accessible but not safely. Making access safer and easier is why trails are built in the first place. Now personally I don't care if there is a cable or not, but I'm still waiting to read a single argument against a cable that holds any water at all. The bridge is still the best analogy. Some rivers have bridges, some don't. There is no general principle that tells us "bridge every river or none at all". And you could be killed crossing without a bridge, at some rivers anyway.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 9:10 am 
Slugman wrote:
Why do the "negatives" keep talking about rules, when there was no rule that you had to use the cable? And why do they keep implying that doing anything at all means everything must be done, when that is not the case. Some things can be done, and others not done.
I'm too lazy to transfer my original posts re: this, but check out the McClellen Butte fatality thread if interested in my full discussion. The gist is this: because of public demand and the litigious (sp) society in which we live and the FS has to deal with, if one place is made safe, soon public demand may other places are protected to the same standard. In a legal action, one protected summit may be held up as a standard. Once the standard is created in one place, it could be difficult to stop. It's difficult to determine the criteria for each site, and perhaps easier to just do nothing and make that their policy. However your comment regarding bridges brought up an interesting point. It could be that people of all levels of ability can be out and about on the trails, so the FS tries to facilitate their travel, yet the FS holds climbers and cross-country travelers to a higher standard of ability, therefore they leave them alone to enjoy their experience. Yet at the Entiat trailhead, a sign is posted informing them of a river crossing with no bridge, and tells hikers they are at their own risk. On the other hand (this has turned into an octopus), as evidenced in the other thread, even at that, some climbers still expect mandated safety. The final tentacle is Mike Collin's observation that more popular areas with dangerous summits should be crafted to a more safe standard. But what is the criteria for that, and how to determine it? So the FS is at a loss as to what to do to make the public happy.
Quote:
Making access safer and easier is why trails are built in the first place.
I addressed this as well on the other thread; often, a trail is built to check erosion, not to make access safe. The FS also answers to independent Environmental Impact Studies. You're still on your own while on a built trail.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 11:28 am 
I have been up above Wallace Falls and that is some of the slickest rock anywhere. smile.gif

loofus
carpet bagger

loofus
carpet bagger
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 12:44 pm 
Quark wrote:
I addressed this as well on the other thread; often, a trail is built to check erosion, not to make access safe. The FS also answers to independent Environmental Impact Studies. You're still on your own while on a built trail.
Right you are, Quark. The job of public land managers is to manage public land, period. Because the public uses the land, the Forest Service, Park Service, BLM, etc. are forced to implement methods of protection against the ravages of humankind. Trails are constructed and maintained to encourage people to walk on them, thus minimizing damage to terrain. As is the case with bridges, trails just happen to be a convenience to the general public, not a means of providing safe travel. Trails, however, DO provide relatively safe travel. Sometimes this gives hikers a false sense of security that because they are on an established route, somehow the eminent dangers and risks of backcountry travel are nullified. Q: "Why would the Forest Service build a trail if it wasn't completely safe?" A: "To pertect th' land from igner't foo's like yous'll." Warning the public of inheirent backcountry dangers should be the only safety precautions taken by land managers (followed by a lengthy, comprehensive legal disclaimer). Everytime I have seen a trail crew working in the backcountry, they have been hard at work repairing damage caused by irresponsible hikers on popular, overused trails. Now I know where our fees go and why there is a steady accumulation of uncleared deadfall across the trials that I most frequently use. My favorite trail has been "permanently closed" due to heavy downed timber. The FS claims they don't have the resouces to clear the trail. I suspect they are too busy fixing the trail of disaster left behind the hordes of hikers entering two or three limited-use areas. Sorry, Quark. I think I basically just rephrased everything you summed up in a more pedantic fashion. I guess I'm just trying to avoid doing any real work on a Friday. Dreaming of unmaintained trails...........

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 1:00 pm 
Sheesh, loof, you did a better job summing up my summation. I just re-read my glob of stuff, and realize how bad it is written. It's a wonder you could glean anything from it.I was in a big hurry. Working and being a know-it-all at the same time take too much concentration, more than I have.

loofus
carpet bagger

loofus
carpet bagger
PostFri Mar 11, 2005 2:22 pm 
On the contrary. I think you made some very clear points. I just felt like ranting. I got myself worked up thinking about how I pay fees for a NW Forest Pass, yet I don't see any benefit from it. I felt like venting, but I tried to keep it within the bounds of the thread. You made a good point by saying that the FS is really at a loss trying to keep everyone happy. For the most part, I think they do a fair enough job. We only seem to notice the glaring negatives that don't exactly characterize the FS as a whole. Any public agency is faced with the struggle of keeping the majority of people happy while realizing that they will never please everybody. People who gripe about safety concerns in the backcountry really have no sound argument. I'll quit here before I become anymore pedantic...again.