I've already demoed it. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 2:10 am 
Gary, that is correct. Your directory looks the same as mine. The expansion pack is a completely new program and you'll get a installation disc with it. The software is a bit archaic as it doesn't have a auto install wizard when you first load it. In my case I installed version 3.4.3 first and when I installed the expansion pack it installed to a different directory. I now have both versions and can run each seperately. I'll delete the older version if I decide I don't need it.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
gary

gary
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 9:31 am 
Thanks Geo..., I look forward to getting the expansion!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 10:05 am 
I also have the dual start. The auto update is pretty cool too. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 12:10 pm 
Okay, after a lot of swear words and do-overs, all of the CDs are loaded up onto my "E" drive, and it's all working. As others have noted, the maps run way faster than they ever did on the CDs. The Expansion Pack ($20 retail) makes it so that you can "fly" over the route you have just plotted. While not entirely necessary, it might make you squeal with delight, as it did me.

mike

mike
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 12:30 pm 
So how fancy of a computer do you need to "fly" over the route. I think I'm within the minimum requirement but want a real world guestiment before plonking down my pesos. I can plod the route in real life don't need no computer.

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 12:38 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
If you download new maps they are stored on your HD.
Can I DL quads from other states? I have WA state topo!, but want to DL Utah. That would be excellent, and probably not the case.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 12:40 pm 
I bought my state series here and the expansion pack. I searched around some and this seems to be about the best price I could find. Maybe it can save you a few bucksTopo Washington ML, good to see you got it working for you. Much nicer having it on the hard drive. Now I need to figure out what that extra CD has on it and find out why my live update isn't working.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 12:43 pm 
mike wrote:
So how fancy of a computer do you need to "fly" over the route. I think I'm within the minimum requirement but want a real world guestiment before plonking down my pesos. I can plod the route in real life don't need no computer.
Here are the system requirements: link

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Mar 18, 2005 12:52 pm 
mike wrote:
On my expansion pack for system requirments it says you need DirectX version 9, (included) and a video card that has a minimum of 8+ memory and is DirectX 9 compatible for 3D views. The 3-D views are kinda cool, but I'm not hugely impressed. I'm used to looking at a flat map and can get a good idea what the terrain will be like, so it doesn't help me much. Plus, it doesn't come out all that clear close in, so that might be my video card.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 19, 2005 3:24 pm 
Newt wrote:
Sore Feet wrote:
Does the level 1 view start out in the middle of the country like it did with Version 3, or did they change that back? I'd definitely upgrade for the new map thing, but opening the Washington files and having it start out in Nebraska was a major pain in the butt.
When I contacted Topo support they had told me to bookmark WA. then go there. I told them it was dumb for the state series to open in mid country. I also thought it was noticeably slower, especially loading up. Newt
Looks like the bookmark feature is called "notes" now. Wow, what a major PITA. I can't even get it to return to the last place I was when I left even though they pop up that silly start up screen now with the option to do it. vent.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Mar 19, 2005 3:45 pm 
I'm kinda getting the impression I should save my hard earned money and not get the expansion pack. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 19, 2005 5:41 pm 
Hmm, now it seems to work for me after installing version 4 but every once in a while wants to go back to Nebraska. The fly over is kind of cool, but I'm not sure if it's worth the dough...

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Mar 19, 2005 9:52 pm 
There's a reason you bought it at REI... hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSat Apr 02, 2005 10:59 pm 
I just picked up the Topo! WA and the Expansion Pack at REI. You can get them both for $99.96 total if you buy both at the same time. This is about the same as if you just bought the Topo! WA alone. I didn't realize that it was an all new v4.0 Topo! on the Expansion Pack. Does it make any sense to keep v3.4.3? I went to install the Expansion Pack after I loaded up the v3.4.3 that comes with the Topo! WA and I was prompted that I had an older version. I stopped the v4.0 install and just went ahead and goofed with the maps with v3.4.3. But I'm thinking of un-installing v3.4.3. Will I be losing out on anything by un-installing v3.4.3 and installing v4.0? Does it make any sense to have both versions loaded? It's not very clear on the Expansion Pack packaging that it's a whole new version of Topo!, which is somewhat annoying. The lack of auto-install is also a bit lame. But it sure is cool to have the whole state of WA covered.

Let me stand next to your fire