Forum Index > Gear Talk > Therm-a-Rest UltraLite 3/4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 1:09 am 
I noticed Gart Sports sells the Therm-a-Rest UltraLite 3/4 for $40 in case anyone is looking for insulation for their curtis designs raft (well, at least that's the price at the Blahvue store).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 2:32 am 
My FOUR rafts and I feel that the standard long version of the t-rest works best while rafting!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 11:26 am 
I've been playing with some ground-pad material I found at Lowes. It's called Reflectix. It's basically two layers of bubble wrap bonded together and coated with a thin layer of aluminum on both sides to reflect heat. It doesn't provide the padding of a T-Rest, but it weighs about as much as the blue foam I normally use and appears to insulate better--at least it feels warmer. Of course it doesn't double as a PFD the way a Therm-A-Rest does.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 12:27 pm 
Wow TB, that's starting to sound like a pretty heavy raft. That would actually make it heavier than the trail boat - no doubt you will sleep (and boat) comfy though.

Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 5:30 pm 
One dose of ice cold water from a choppy lake down your back and you really start appreciating a good night's sleep wink.gif

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 12:07 am 
I can't argue the statement that a full length TR is best, but a 3/4 length pad works very well in a Curtis raft. I use a 3/4. I fold it over by 1/3 and keep the doubled section under where I sit with the single part folded up for a back rest.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 12:36 pm 
I was just teasing. I meant that I use a long TR when I raft. I like the way it works best. If I plan on going hyper, turbo, ultra, lite I dont bring the raft, and then can just ridge rest it!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln