Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pinedrops or candystick?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:21 am 
Any botany expertise out there? Is this pinedrops or candystick?
mystery saprophyte
mystery saprophyte

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:35 am 
I'm no botanist, but this year I have endeavored to learn the flora of the northwest. From my reference material, that looks more like a candystick. I saw what I thought was a pinedrops last weekend in the Olympics. The stalk looked somewhat like asparagus, and had the classic "flowers" at the top, hanging down like little lanterns. It was also about 2.5 feet tall. I think the candystick has more of a barber pole look to it. Alan?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 6:26 pm 
Pinedrop, Candystick, and Indian Pipe are all in the same saprophyte family. It is not Pinedrop. The color is wrong and Pinedrop is the tallest of the family coming in at 2-3 feet tall. I saw some this tall up the White River of Glacier Peak area last year. The Latin name for Candystick is Allotropa virgata. Allos=other, tropos=turn. It has that name because the younger flowers face upward and the older ones turn downward. Virgata=striped. The Latin name for Indian Pipe is Monotropa uniflora. Monotropa=one direction and uniflora=only one flower. So it isn't Indian Pipe. So it might be Candystick but I can't see the angle of the flowers well enough. Coral root is in the running also. The flower would look like an orchid and it is impossible to see on the photo.

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:56 pm 
I doubt it's coralroot. We saw a lot of coralroot on this hike. As a matter of fact, the coralroot was particularly pretty because various plants were in different stages of development, giving us an interesting variety of appearances. This one does not resemble any of the coralroots. The "leaves" on this one, as you see, are distinctly scale-like and scarlet. The top looks like some animal might have gnawed on it. That was the case for both specimens, which were close together. Keep the opinions, and hopefully some expertise, coming. We have always wanted to see our first candystick plant. It's awkward not knowing if this is a candystick plant.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Aug 30, 2002 8:33 am 
What was your location and elevation? How tall? Any other similar plants in the area? NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostFri Aug 30, 2002 8:50 am 
Dingford Creek Trail above the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River. Elevation about 2800 feet. In typical West-side old growth forest; not in a boggy area. Beneath a mix of douglas firs and hemlocks. The cone in the picture looks like douglas fir. Two plants a few feet apart, each 7 or 8 inches tall. The tops looked like they may have been browsed off by an animal. Lots of other saprophytes along the trail, but none resembling this. I don't remember seeing any other plants in the immediate vicinity.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Aug 30, 2002 10:37 am 
I think I would rule out the Coralroot also. I would lean towards the Candy Stick except for the stem/stalk. Far reaching possiblity it's a Snow Plant? I sometimes discount plant and bird ranges as I've seen things around here that aren't typical but due to climatic changes sometimes show up. Also what is shown in the books don't always look like what is in the wild. If the flowers were spent that may account for the gnawed look. Seems as tho I've taken photos of something similar up around Boardman Lake area a few years ago. I'll look for them. I'll check with a friend that is good at iding things. What time of year? NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostFri Aug 30, 2002 11:13 am 
Last weekend, Aug. 24.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 4:26 pm 
Pretty much rules out the Snow Plant. NN shakehead.gif