Forum Index > Gear Talk > Anyone Tried McHale's POP - 2lb 8oz 3,000 to 4,200 CI Internal Frame
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 4:27 pm 
Has anyone tried the Mchale POP Pack?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 7:03 am 
I have not tried the POP pack but I do own a SARC and an Alpineer Std. I would not trade either for any other pack made. Just make an appointment to go in and talk to Dan about his packs. They are not cheap but for me they are more comfortable than any other high end pack on the market. biggrin.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 9:29 pm 
What are you looking at the POP for Dante? It looks pretty cool.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 8:50 am 
I'll need a replacement for my Schonhofen someday wink.gif Before I saw the POP I was thinking I might replace it with a Mountainsmith Mountainlight--probably the Ghost--but the POP only weighs 2oz more than the Ghost but I bet it would carry those snow camping loads a LOT more comfortably smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 5:55 pm 
Dante, my ghost weighs 2 lb 8.1 oz rolleyes.gif. Maybe I haven't cut off all the strings wink.gif. Unless both manufacturers are fibbing, the packs weigh about the same. On thing is for sure... you will definitely be lighter in the wallet: $125 vs. $295 eek.gif.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 9:52 pm 
Yea, the POP wil probably be $500 or $1,000 if and when I ever need to replace my Schonhofen, but I can daydream. Almost all of my trips are 3 days or less. Last spring through fall I did all of them with a pack that was under 2,000 cubic inches and 25 pounds. If I'm carrying enough to need a frame and better suspension, I'm not worried about my old pack's weight. It still fits great and carries like a dream, so although my gear adiction is pretty bad, I can't see myself dropping almost $300 (or even $150) to replace it. Besides, they don't make them anymore biggrin.gif

mattp

mattp
PostSat Feb 09, 2002 11:15 am 
I haven't seen that one, but McHale packs are awesome! I have had a dozen packs over the years, an my McHale is by far the best of the bunch.