Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shroud Mtn.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 6:45 pm 
Shroud is the unofficial name for Pt 6243 located about two miles to the south of Mount Sawyer and one mile west of Terrace. It overlooks Necklace Valley and was climbed because it is on the Homecourt List of 100 tallest peaks between US 2, I-90, and Deception Creek. It is of interest to those peakbaggers out there. It was approached from the Tonga Ridge trail. I left the trail at 4,800' where there is a broad meadow. I then gained a ridge going southwest initially and then right over the top of Point 5625. I then traversed SE skirting around June and Mary lakes and reaching the gap which separates the drainages of those lakes from the Ptarmigan Lakes drainage. I then went SW up a steep ridge of cedar, heather, and broken cliffs. This upclimb was dicey and the downclimb would have been dangerous. A safer route of descent was taken along the ridge connecting Terrace with Shroud. Just to the west of Pt 5961 is a moderately steep but doable heather slope which drops one down to talus and then connects with Ptarmigan Lakes. At the outflow of the lower lake I connected with the fisherman's trail that continues onto Fisher Lake and back to the Tonga Ridge trail. I left the car at 0845 and returned at 1530. 3 1/2 hrs to summit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 7:49 am 
Mike - was there a register, or should I bring one when I go in the near future?

RajunCajun

RajunCajun
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 9:15 am 
jeez mike... you do so many trips you must only work 3 days per week cool.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 10:49 am 
Register
There wasn't a register. There wasn't even a hint of a cairn. I piled a few rocks on top of each other and scratched my name on one small flat rock which was about the size of a business letter. The route up should be via Ptarmigan Lakes not the one which I did from Mary and June. Unless you want a little excitement. A circle route is fun because you are seeing new things with each turn.