Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peggys pond, cirlce, venus, spade, waptus lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 01, 2002 9:57 am 
Dante and I did the loop that included Peggys pond, circle lake, venus lake, and Spade lake. We then dropped down into waptus, hiked past Waptus, waded the outlet and took Trail Creek back to the Squaw lake trail and returned to the Hyas lake parking lot. The weather was fantastic. The views from Circle and Venus were fantastic. We saw a few people, though not many. Fine trip. up.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostSun Sep 01, 2002 3:06 pm 
Great trip. I ended up taking Friday off, so I picked Backpacker Joe up in Issaquah sometime after noon and we were at Peggy's Pond by 4:30 p.m. Friday. In hindsight we probably could have made it to Circle before dark, but given the terrain we didn't want to push our luck. We were off before 7:30 and hit Circle around 9:00. We poked around there a little and had brunch, then hiked up and over the saddle above Spade. We traversed down to Venus and Backpacker Joe took a swim while I made lunch. I didn't swim because he said the water was cold and if he says it's cold it's COLD. After lunch we walked down the ramp to Spade. In hindsight we probably should have stopped there and explored more, but we thought we could hike out to the car on Saturday and go on another hike on Sunday-Monday (sounded good at the time). We descended to Waptus and decided to bypass Deep Lake and go back to the car via the Trail Creek Trail to minimize the elevation gained and lost. Backpacker Joe timed our progress from the Trail Creek ford accross the Waptus River, but I don't recall how long it took us. All I know was we were back to my car by around 10:00 p.m. Beutiful lakes--especially Venus. Again, in hindsight I wish we had stayed at Spade, but I have a feeling I'll be back in the area again. One of these days I need to go to Rowena, Rebecca and Shovel.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 8:40 am 
It took us right around three hours to cross the Waptus outlet, dry our boots and make it to the car. We saved mucho time by going that route vs. the deep lake PCT route. We certainly saved 1300+ feet of elevation gain by taking trail creek back to hyas lake. It looks like right around six miles from the Trail Creek turn off to Hyas lake's parking lot.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln