Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Are politically offensive signatures acceptable?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 10:12 am 
Noting that one poster has adopted a signature line I personally find rather combative and offensive for a site which has eschewed politics, I'm curious what the guidelines are for signature lines.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 10:37 am 
Quote:
To do great work a man must be very idle as well as very industrious. Samuel Butler
It's mine, isn't it? hihi.gif Seriously, you could dash off a quick note to the person with the sig (which IMO is a little snotty, but not all that offensive) and then if you don't get anywhere, shoot a PM to the admin. We don't have a lot of guidelines here, because, IMO, we mostly all have common sense.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:19 pm 
If you think jeepasaurusrex's line about environmentalists is so offensive, why don't you tell him in a PM? lol.gif moon.gif tongue.gif Seriously, this "signature snobbery" is just too funny coming from a supposed "libertarian". I guess liberty extends only to those he agrees with. Notice he doesn't take offence at signatures lampooning liberals, so his "combative and offensive" reasoning is not very honest. His complaint is purely partisan and one-sided, typical of his complaints in general. No need to guess who he's talking about, either. If the goat has a petty complaint or unfair accusation to make, you can bet I'm the target. After all, this is the guy who said I was a snob because using the word "city" to describe Vancouver confused me as to whether they meant Vancouver BC or Vancouver WA. Honest confusion becomes snobbery to the Goat when it's me who's confused. So his "combative and offensive" needs to be taken with a gigantic grain of salt, especially since he is the combative one most of the time.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:27 pm 
It was my impression this was a politics free zone. Apparently, I am mistaken.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:31 pm 
I will change mine the minute I see that mr jeepasaurus has changed his. I find his attack on environmentalists to be in poor taste, and also factually inaccurate. But rather than complain about it, I simply mimicked it to make a point. I notice that point has been taken, as I knew it would once it was turned around the other way. hihi.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 pm 
Not sure what this has to do with jeepasaurus. your assumption i have even seen his sig is part of your problem.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:46 pm 
My new sig is directed squarely at you two. moon.gif Get a room, or at least use the PM function to argue about this. wink.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:51 pm 
This is just way, way too much fun! rolleyes.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 1:59 pm 
Oh fer Pete's sake. I don't think signature lines are aimable at specific people. They're just sort of out there for people to take as they want to. - for the record, my sig line isn't aimed at anybody at all. I just read the line on a flier and liked it.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 2:08 pm 
I am going to state the obvious here: You guys are making yourselves look worse, not your intended targets, with the squabbling and cheap shots in the sigs.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 2:11 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Not sure what this has to do with jeepasaurus. your assumption i have even seen his sig is part of your problem.
What it has to do with the jeepster is that my sig line is done in mimicry of his. I explained that to you because I did not assume you had seen his or were aware of the mimicry. So your assumption about my assumption is ridiculous in the extreme. Sometimes I think you don't even read the posts you criticise. My point was that never in a million years would you bring up the same objection to a sig line mocking liberals.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 2:25 pm 
Both sig lines provide a warning label of sorts. Like the "objects are closer than they appear" warning on a convex mirror. I don't see a problem with a sig line that essentially advises a reader that they will need to apply a little extra "correction" to whatever they read.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 2:44 pm 
Good call, JM. If a person has a particular slant to their ideology, a political signature will help the reader keep the poster's opinions in perspective.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 12, 2005 3:19 pm 
No real guidelines. Sigs are a form of self expression. If someone has a political sig it tells me they are into politics. It also might indicate what way they lean, whether are generally a trash talker or have something of substance to say, etc. If someone has a humorous sig, it tells me they don't take life too seriously. If someone has fruit in their sig it may indicate something about cup size. If a sig is too long, includes a distracting image, etc. you might get a smackbum.gif from a moderator but I can't recall ever having to do that. Most people here use reasonable judgement.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostFri Apr 15, 2005 8:21 pm 
I had been sig-less of late, but y'all inspired me to join in the fun! banana.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.