Forum Index > Trail Talk > Instep crampons
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 4:53 pm 
Anybody used 'em? How'd they work for you? Do they work on midweights or trail runners? I think the likelihood is that I'd use them on my 'real' boots, but it would be nice to know they'd work with other footwear. Hope not too many of you are getting drenched today. I had to work today and the skies opened wide about an hour ago, got soaked to de bone! waah.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 5:48 pm 
They're ok. Like any equipment, depends on the duty cycle and conditions. When the going gets steep, they loose effectiveness as boot contact point migrates forward, away from instep. For moderate conditons on ice, they are an excellent improvement against bare boots.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 9:16 pm 
I've used 4 point insteps with running shoes (that have absolutely no torsional rigidity, very soft soles). They work fine on trails. Tried them traversing on a steep slope once, and they tend to roll. Yikes, that was scary. They are perfect for Mt Si packed trail conditions, giving you complete confidence on the icy, packed trails. They are inappropriate for "technical" use. Mine stay on the feet just fine. MEC had the best price a few years back. Saw someone with "ice walkers" on Tiger a few years ago. They clipped on top of the foot like pack straps. Seemed perfect for moderate trail conditions. Never seen them in stores though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster