Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 12:36 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
marylou wrote:
Hardly any trails=even better. up.gif
Totally disagree. Hardly any trails == significantly less use by public, but that's not necessarily a good thing.
When you're looking for nice animal habitat and the preservation of places more wild, it's a good thing. Since the Wilderness Act was drafted to preserve our natural legacy, I think it's nice to include places that are largely trailless as part of the whole system.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 11:15 pm 
What is a wilderness area?
What is a Wilderness area? (Copy/pasted from SMBNF publication) "According to the Wilderness Act of 1964, wilderness areas are where earth and its community of life remains untrammeled, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain. Some mark is left in wilderness each time we visit, but each of us can make sure the mark is a small one. Minimum impact or no-trace camping should be considered common sense behavior in the backcountry." Wanderwild asked what area/s had been logged. Almost all the area along the North Fork of the Skykomish has been logged. When the area on the Index side of the river was logged, a railroad went north alongside the river. In certain places, one can still find segments of it--bridges have collapsed, and bush/trees litter the former track bed, bridges are collapsed. Obviously, loggers logged both sides from the tracks. Across the river from Skymo #3 is a cabin that I theorize was a farm during logging days. In one area I am familiar with, they logged to about 2,000-2,500 feet. Voice of experience (me) says that in some spots, slash is/was so thick (at about 2,500 foot level) I spent three trips (in 1970-71) cleaning a route through it, then discovered an old trapper's cabin (collapsed) down by a creek. Other places are relatively easy to travel through, except for contouring or climbing or descending 40-50 degree (or steeper) slopes. Point of all this? One can find something he/she wants to argue for or against Big Sky wilderness legislation. What bugs me is when one committee chair can deviously prevent submitting a bill for consideration. - Oldtimer

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message