Forum Index > Trip Reports > Walt Bailey trail 4-24-05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 25, 2005 12:38 pm 
I got to the Walt Bailey trailhead at 10:30 with Yetiman and Daisy, only to find we a had a flat tire. We changed it out and hit the trail at 11. It was easy going at first, the only problem being the humidity which was very thick. Snow started in pretty soon, maybe 1/2 mile, and became continuous and deep soon after. We were able to follow the summer trail route for the most part, but we got off the path a few times. The going was now very tough, with the snow soft and the post-holing deep and constant. The hiking was pleasant despite the snow, since we had blue skies, warm temps, big trees, interesting snow formations and layers, pale-blue frozen ponds, animal tracks in the snow (Lynx, me thynx), and eventually a big meadow with tall bordering cliffs. It took us 2:45 to reach the meadows, so we called it good and abandoned any thoughts of reaching Cutthroat lakes. I made it to the lakes in deeper snow last year, but it was cold out so the snow was very firm. Snowshoes probably wouldn't have helped reach the lakes, as the slopes in the final ascent are too steep to hold when the snow is so mushy. We stayed at the meadow area for two hours, resting, exploring, and picnicking in t-shirt weather conditions. It took a full two hours to get back, including an unintentional detour when we missed a sharp right turn in the trail, understandable as the trail was under three feet of snow at the time. We were able to follow our incoming trail where that had worked reasonably well, and detour around most of the various mishaps we endured on the way in, mainly post holing to find water at the bottom of the post hole. The first picture is one of the pale blue frozen ponds, the second is the sunset next to Mt Pilchuck from the saddle in the road about 1/2 mile before the trailhead.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Guiran

Guiran
PostMon Apr 25, 2005 6:54 pm 
Could you drive all the way to the trailhead? I really love getting up to this area in the winter - though I'm 0/3 on actually getting to Cutthroat Lakes. Maybe this weekend...

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 9:40 am 
The road is snow free and in great shape. I've done this trail seven times, four times making the lakes, three times not, once due to time considerations the first time I did it, the other two times due to snow conditions. Now would not be a good time to make the lakes. Either the snow must melt some, or if it got cold it would be possible to go over the snow. I went to the lakes last year with Peppersteak when the snow was massively deep, but it was very solid and firm due to the cold temps, not like the post-holey slush we encountered yesterday. But the struggle to the meadows was a great workout, and it is a worthy trip in it's own right. Bring snowshoes for exploring at the meadows. R/T to the meadows is about 3.5 miles, total elevation gain/loss of 1,000 vf, 300 of that on the way out.