Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Revised Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Access Info.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 03, 2005 1:10 pm 
Quote:
If you don't meet the canon for how it's acceptable to recreate (foot only), your recreational choices are constantly being reduced.... and from the single mindedness shown here and on the wild sky thread with respect to preserving other forms of access, you can see what the chances are for any turn of events going the other way.
Now you do understand that the primary purpose of Wilderness is preservation of the natural legacy and not recreation, right? hmmm.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 03, 2005 1:21 pm 
do you understand that whatever the primary goal, the actual outcome is reducing access? In many threads I see an effort to use a goal to seemingly deflect it's actual impacts as implemented. all i'm pointing out is that the comment that certain folks are better suited car camping or something outside wilderness, is at odds with efforts to reduce access to places they can do so outside of wilderness areas. seems to me the "shouldn't be here" collides with "shouldn't be there, either" leaving everyone not into the specifica agenda getting the short end from both ends.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
sculpturearts

sculpturearts
PostTue May 03, 2005 10:09 pm 
I'm for closing it and buying out the inholders. Like somebody said, if your money wasn't wasted on star wars, they'd have more for things like maintainng the road. Maybe this will free resources to build and maintain other trails in the area. As far as preservation, give it a rest up there for a while. I bike it up past dingford. It's just a different experience. I don't want it closed just because I bike it. Even over the next two summers, you won't be able to drive across the slide. There's limited space at the slide to park. If the new parking area is full at the slide, full being about four cars, you'll have trouble turning around once you're up there. A Hummer could maybe drive across it, but otherwise, it'd be an all day work party to roll boulders down the hill to clear it enough. The slide is about 3 feet high, four feet high, and about 20-30 feet or so long. This is what I remember from the last time I was up there in the fall.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 03, 2005 11:44 pm 
We drove over it in Tom's 4Runner a couple of weekends ago. There was a Tacoma and a Highlander with us at the Goldmyer parking/pooping area.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed May 04, 2005 5:15 am 
marylou wrote:
We drove over it in Tom's 4Runner a couple of weekends ago. There was a Tacoma and a Highlander with us at the Goldmyer parking/pooping area.
Are you referring to the first big slide just past Goldmyer? Because if you drove over that one, the second one after that isn't as bad.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 04, 2005 8:03 am 
Isnt the bad slide past Goldmeyer a mile or so? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 04, 2005 10:14 am 
I think ML is confusing it with an earlier slide. We didn't drive past goldmyer.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed May 04, 2005 10:38 am 
Has the road been repaired up to the slide just past Goldmyer?

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed May 04, 2005 12:33 pm 
Tom's right, I am confused. We didn't drive past Goldmyer, but there is signage indicating the road's impassable.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed May 04, 2005 5:49 pm 
Thanks, bummer - still probably only passable to a wrangler. Or ze motorcycle devilsmile.gif

sculpturearts

sculpturearts
PostSat May 07, 2005 10:48 am 
It'd take a hummer at least to get over the slide. The non-driveable one is about a mile from the DMTH. It's at the spot where the jeeps, forerunners, f-150s, sierra's, suburbans, all park. It's been since fall that I was there and it's probably worse now.

aestivate

aestivate
PostSun May 08, 2005 2:25 pm 
Curt wrote:
A quick glance at my map shows it's just over 7 miles from Dingford to the Trailhead via the "road" - does this sound about right? If it's only 7 miles, Slug might have the best plan going with the mountain bike idea. -Curt
I think it's 8, but 7 is in the right ballpark. Re a bike, going up the road from dingford with a pack is somewhat laborious, I suspect you wouldn't make much more than 5-6 mph, and the gains over walking are not that great. But the way back, aah. 8 miles of coasting. You'll be really happy when you get back to the dutch miller "trailhead" and see that bike. It's not a big deal, really. Try riding the Dose road past the controversial washout up to the old trailhead (about 6 miles) to get the idea. I kind of like it.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun May 08, 2005 3:31 pm 
Umm……. Have you actually been down the 7 miles of road past Dingford? If you are thinking it’s like the road to Monte Cristo, you will be in for a surprise. While there are a few short sections that are fairly good, most of the road is baseball sized rock or larger. Not to mention there are several large mud puddles that you will have to ride through. As for coasting back, that will work for the first 3 miles, then its sorta flat, followed by a short uphill grade back to Dingford.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun May 08, 2005 4:15 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
Umm……. Have you actually been down the 7 miles of road past Dingford? If you are thinking it’s like the road to Monte Cristo, you will be in for a surprise. While there are a few short sections that are fairly good, most of the road is baseball sized rock or larger. Not to mention there are several large mud puddles that you will have to ride through. As for coasting back, that will work for the first 3 miles, then its sorta flat, followed by a short uphill grade back to Dingford.
Have to agree, this is tough. Even the original slide 1.3 miles from the Dutch Miller Gap Trailhead last year was difficult on the motorcycle - lots of big rocks. We need to improve the low-end torque smile.gif

Dante

Dante
PostTue May 17, 2005 2:26 pm 
Any update on the slides--particularly the upper one?