Forum Index > The Trading Post > McHale Backpack for Sale
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 11:10 am 
I have a McHale backpack for sale. This is the the Standard Alpineer model, and is approximately 6 years old. This is the model that utilizes two 7075 T6 aluminum stays that converts the backpack into either a very large daypack or a very tall expedition pack. This model has the critical mass hipbelt and the bypass harness system. If you are unfamilar with this system, you can check it out at Dan's url: http://www.mchalepacks.com/ I bought this pack a couple of months ago from a woman on cascadeclimber.com. At the time I thought the pack would work for me, but I made the almost unforgiveable mistake of not walking around in it with significant weight. The belt is too small for my evergrowing waistline and the bypass harness (shoulder straps) are not long enough for my torso. I'm short but have a fairly long torso. I took it to Dan McHale and even though he was able to put a larger hip belt on it, it still won't work because the shoulder straps strangle me. Dan was unwilling (due to a huge backorder of packs) to spend the time to rebuild it for me. In any event, the lady I bought it from is not answering her emails or phone, so I'm stuck with the pack. My mistake. This pack would fit someone with a 17"-19" torso length and a 30"-32" waist. The pack itself is in very good condition with the exception of some light soiling on the removeable top/fanny pack. The pack is capable of hauling extreme loads. Everything about it is bulletproof and built. Overbuilt, really. I'm including an attachment of Dan's standard Alpineer model which is what this is, but mine has maroon compression straps and a black bottom to the bag. I tried scanning two photos of myself wearing the pack, but they came out huge and I can't seem to shrink them down to size for the photo. In any event, if anyone is interested you can drop me a line at salish@foxinternet.com. These sold new for approximately $600-$650 from Dan McHale, and I am selling this pack for $225.00. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 6:11 am 
You may want to take it into Dan's shop and ask him to convert it for you. He has done lots of post sales mods to packs for a reasonable cost. I have three of his packs and would not trade them for any other. If nothing else give him a call and see if he's willing to do it. We're coming on the off season so he'll probably have time to do a job like this.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
salish

salish
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 8:00 am 
Thanks Steve. I did take this pack to Dan and we discussed it. He put on a larger hip belt which solved the belt problem, but he was not willing to work on the harness system - too much work for him. He'd basically have to tear it apart and rebuild it. I decided to wait and buy my "own" McHale pack in my own chice of configuration & colors. What you are saying about his packs are true, I think. Even though this pack doesn't fit me it still handles a load better than my current pack which DOES fit me. Interesting. Thanks.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.